Steering Center Shaft Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Center Shaft Bushings

I think I'm missing a bushing for the pitman arm(?) on my CV. There is a bushing below the castle nut which is present; then there is pivot joint and below that I just see a shaft where I think a bushing is supposed to be? I don't know what this is called; is it the rack and pinion bushing? If so, are there poly versions of these bushings?

I will get some pics tomorrow.

Packman

no bushing under the pitman arm. Its a taper shaft going into the center link. There should be a rubber dust boot in the space between the taper shaft on the pitman arm and the center link but thats it.

You have no rack and pinion bushing on a car that does not have a rack and pinion.

Unless you mean the idler arm, which does have bushings in it. The pitman arm is on the steering box, the idler arm bolts to the frame on the passenger side, opposite the steering box. the idler arm is basically a bracket bolted to the frame, a bushing, another arm that swings back and forth, and another bushing on the end where the center link goes through. If one of those is bad or missing, you replace the idler arm.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Behind the steering shaft. There is a vertical shaft and a castle nut above. The lower portion is exposed. So this just needs a dust boot? It's loose; rattles (I think) when I hit bumps or potholes. Doesn't seem to have a grease fitting; yet it requires a dust boot?

Packman

Comment

driver side or passenger side. can't see in that picture. The passenger side is the idler arm. The driver side is the gearbox and pittman arm. Refer to Thain's post about what should be where.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Okay, it's the idler arm on the passenger side. Needs bushings. That's what I need! Awesome! THanks Thain and SLY

Packman

Comment

Buy a quality replacement idler arm. Most auto parts stores offer really cheap ones and better quality ones. The cheap ones don't last for shit!
            89 Colony Park
            90 Colony Park
            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Pick up a flash light while you're at it

Just fair warning, sometimes the idler arm comes apart and leaves pieces behind. On the center link, there is a post sticking out where it goes through the idler arm. the castle nut is on that post. make sure the metal inner sleeve on that end of the idler arm comes out with the idler arm, otherwise the replacement part is not going to fit. If it stays behind, you may have to carefully slice the sleeve if it won't come off without a fight.
              Last edited by gadget73; 06-28-2016, 04:53 PM.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the heads up

I was kneeling down and trying not to dip my knees in a puddle trying to get that picture on my iphone yesterday morning. So need a garage. :-/

Comment

Pulled off the idler arm on Sunday; cleaned up the pin/bolt and part of the frame where the idler arm was laid up against. The shaft was seized to the pin/bolt. So I cleaned it up with WD-40 until I could see the seam in the shaft. Then I took a hammer and chisel and separated the shaft enough to run it off of the pin/bolt. Got home late last night, but not too late to prep the pin and the part of the steering arm that I didn't paint. Then before I went to work this morning, I POR15'd the frame and steering center arm. Pics....

Going to paint the idler arm as well. Then install it on the weekend and move onto other things with this friggin car.

Comment

Working...
                  X