Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFI Injector Pulse Question

Hey All,

My friend has an '83 CV with CFI. Right now, it only starts if you spray starting fluid down the throttle body. Once it's running, it will stay running and will continue to run fine. It won't cold start, or even start when hot.

We checked the fuel pressure and it looks to be right at 39PSI and doesn't drop when the engine is off. Shop manual says that's the right value. Also, the fuel pressure regulator on the top of the CFI unit has also been replaced and is brand new.

Checked the timing with a timing light. Timing looks to be fine and doesn't wonder all over the place.

Injectors spray fuel when the car is running, but they don't spray anything when the car is cranking.

Connector to the injector has seen better days but I'm not sure if that's it as it runs fine once the car is started.

Any ideas where to look? I know CFI is already run on magic and hope when everything is working properly.

We have the 83 Shop manuals for the car, but I can't seem to find any decent information in them surprisingly. I was hoping for a CFI troubleshooting section or at least a wiring diagram for the injectors... no luck so far.

I also just wanted to add, the car used to run fine. This issue just started out of no where. (No parts changed before it starting happening).

Thanks in advance!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Sounds like it might be ignition switch related. Pull the lower column cover and unplug the ignition switch connector. Check for burns cracks and such. Or if the switch is falling apart.

Comment

Thanks. I'll add that to the list of things to check. It's raining out now so I don't know if my friend is going to go out and look today. I think I'll be heading over there this weekend to help out.

Also, I just realized I probably should have posted this in Electrical and wiring/HVAC/Vacuum/CFI... oops.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

EEC-III drives off a crankshaft trigger. I'm not certain how that installs, but if the gap is excessive it may not pick up enough signal to fire at engine cranking speeds. Might be worth checking to see if there is an adjustment (I doubt it), that its not covered with shite, and that the connector to the crank trigger is clean. I want to say the connector is right around the front corner of the intake manifold.

Check that if the ignition switch yields no joy.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So, checking all the connectors, they all looked okay. I'm not sure where the crank crankshaft trigger is, I didn't see anything like that on the intake. (Just two coolant sensors and an air flow sensor)

My friend had an extra tps sensor laying around. We plugged it up and it fixed the problem.

The car fires right up now.

It's crazy how one sensor can make cfi run so stupid.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
            So, checking all the connectors, they all looked okay. I'm not sure where the crank crankshaft trigger is, I didn't see anything like that on the intake. (Just two coolant sensors and an air flow sensor)

My friend had an extra tps sensor laying around. We plugged it up and it fixed the problem.

The car fires right up now.

It's crazy how one sensor can make cfi run so stupid.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
            CFI was ok when it was EEC-IV, but EEC-III CFI which is what you have is a disaster from the factory the most PITA picky system i ever dealt with. Your Crankshaft Position sensor is located in the timing cover, held on by one bolt.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
            -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
            1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsLincoln View Post
              CFI was ok when it was EEC-IV, but EEC-III CFI which is what you have is a disaster from the factory the most PITA picky system i ever dealt with. Your Crankshaft Position sensor is located in the timing cover, held on by one bolt.
              Yeah, even trying to find information on the EEC-III CFI system is hard to come by. The shop manuals are surprisingly sparse in info for being the "go-to" source.

Thanks for the info on the sensor! I'll pass it along to my friend in case he needs to ever check it.

Side note, when we replaced the TPS, we only had to remove the little bit of choke linkage. The whole choke "hockey puck" thing didn't have to be removed. (I saw other posts saying that almost everything on that side had to be pulled to get it off). Replacing it was surprisingly quick too. I think it took all of 30 minutes start to finish.

Comment

I think there is another set of manuals specifically for the CFI system, though I do not know what that one happens to be called.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X