Tripminder Bench Testing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripminder Bench Testing?

Anyone successfully bench test a tripminder. I just want to power it up to see if it works in terms of lighting up, and button functions.

Tried today. Put 12v to pin 3 and ground to pin 9 (connected to pin 7 by jumper wire). Nope.
    Tried again like above with 12v also on pin 5. Nope.
    Tried again like above with a ground added to pin 7. Nope.

Tried another known good tripminder. Nope.

Nope = nothing happens.

Ideas?

Here's the pin out from the sticky for quick reference.
    Pin 3 is Ignition power (hot in run)
    Pin 4 is the dimmer from fuse panel & instr. illumination
    Pin 5 is KeepAlive power from fuse panel ( bat.+)
    Pin 6 is Fuel Flow data stream from pin 34 of EEC Module
    Pin 7 & 9 are grounds
    Pin 8 is the speed input from the VSS to pins 3 & 6 of the Speed control ECA.

Check out the differences in the early 86 (left with butt connector installed) wiring versus 88 (right). Dash was untouched in this early 86 so the butt connector was likely factory unless someone took the dash out to route the harness behind it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	1303538
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I have never tested one but installed on in my car without the factory wiring.

I think you need +12 to both power points (3 & 5)
    and ground to both (7 & 9) one is a signal ground but i not sure which on is.

Try that and if nothing shows ground #4 - as that what it would see without the dash lights on.

Hope it helps
    Steve

Comment

Sometimes you have to give it a minute before it will go. Try hooking up the grounds and just pin 5 for a minute, then connect +12v to pin 3. Not sure why, but the Mark VII ones will go wanky sometimes and need to be done that way before they will light up. Sometimes it also just sits a minute and then suddenly comes to life.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ford doesn't use blue butt connectors. If anything it's an open slice with that fabric tape wrapped around it. The 86 harness is wrong.

White purple is key on power. Light green yellow is constant. Black is ground. obviously.
        Hook up light green/yellow and black first. The tripminder display will come on when you press the time button (assuming the contacts on the button have been cleaned).
        Then connect white/purple. Then you can test the other inputs. You can use a vss, and some kind of pulsed voltage. I'm not exactly sure what the DOL pulses, whether it's a 5 volts or 12. I'm thinking it might be 12v, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Probably 5, though without either a portable scope or a stupidly long extension cord I couldn't swear about the waveform it wants to see.

VSS is a triangle wave. Or just get you a spare VSS and a drill.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

12v to pin 5,and grounded in pin 9. Tried the time button and didn't get anything. Then 12v to pin 3 after a little bit. It buzzes but no lights. I'm going to assume that's not a good sign.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Probably not. Buzzing is probably the power supply for the display itself.

Pin 7 is also grounded?

Comment

dead tripminder is dead.

Comment

Working...
                X