Power gain from HO upper and TB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power gain from HO upper and TB?

91 stock 302. In the process of converting to dual exhaust. I'd like to squeeze a little more power out of my car without doing the entire HO swap. I see that some people just do the TB, bore the egr passage out and replace the upper intake with a HO unit. Ideally, about how much extra power does a setup like that make?

From what I've heard, it'll help about 5-10hp.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Heard about the same. In the process of doing it for my car but am missing one of those plastic things that keep dirt out of the bearings for the throttle shaft. You'll also need to swap the stock panther linkage over to your HO TB linkage. Do not know if it causes any weirdness with the ECM. Nobody has said anything about that so I'm assuming it doesn't.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Computer will be fine with that change.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Not sure how much power it actually adds, but it's the significantly better throttle response that you'll really feel.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Looked back in the archives when I measured my changes with 0-60 times. Don't laugh lol they were very accurate and always repeated at same temp/humidity/no wind/weight...

In order of the batches of upgrades my first few years,
            Mine stock was 12.8sec

Ho tb/egr bored/3" intake pipe (same terrible elbow boot) with k&n 12.7

Cat back duals through flowmasters dumped at the axle 12.7 (extra weight offset the extra flow that motor can't ask for)... Sounded so sweet though

Ho upper, gasket matching tb/upper and lower 12.6

Ho stock headers/bbk h-pipe/hi-flow cats 12.45

3.08 gears to 3.73's felt allot quicker to me off the line (only in the "powerband" in 1st up till 3500rpm or so) but dissapointed in the numbers with a 12.4. Burnouts were easier and no more 1 tire fryer made it worth it.

That's all I got, next was the big bone stock explorer heads/intakes/tb all untouched and comp xe258 with frrp headers build which dropped the old girl to 7.7sec on 28" bfg radial ta's . I first had the mustang cam with 1.7rr's, wish I had 0-60 or track times because I remember it pulling like a train the higher it revved and often wonder what it would have done.

Just some aquired numbers (albeit a little disapointing but still tuned it into a whole nother animal haha) hopefully you find helpfull, good luck buddy!
            Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
            HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

On my old 91 Grand Marq, bone stock besides factory style duals I ran 11.53 in the 1/8th

After HO upper, bored out EGR spacer and HO TB it ran a 11.39
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

For those who did the intakes and TB, any difference in fuel mileage, either bad or good?
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                  For those who did the intakes and TB, any difference in fuel mileage, either bad or good?
                  None that I can remember, in either direction. After driving underpowered non-responsive turd of an engine for 5+ years straight, at the average fuel consumption of a healthy 302 engine I would give up 1mpg for the peace of mind the extra throttle response provides (cause B-doubles don't stop on a dime).
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                  The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

If you need your spacer bored, i know a guy...

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
                      If you need your spacer bored, i know a guy...
                      And he's wicked cheap too!
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I know a local guy but he can't do it as cheap. Unless you bring decent beer.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd happily give you beer when it comes time for me to send one over to you but I don't think you send beer... Maybe I'll include extra money to get brews of your choice.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                          X