Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2004 towncar hot restart

It's a 2004 towncar signature.
    It will perform a cold start just fine. During the summer, and a multi stop trip, it will start but not stay running.

We can hear the RPM drop so low, the battery light comes on, and it stalls. We can keep it running by holding the the throttle.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Temp sensors (coolant or air intake) are probably having issues.
    http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page28.html

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Could also be a sticky/dying idle air control motor. I'd expect a code scan to tell you if the sensors are dinked.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

you'd think... If they aren't responding to change, but still hold about a 2K ohm load on the circuit, they won't trigger the code.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Live data monitoring would tell the tale. Don't know if you can just jam a voltmeter in there to monitor without fancypants tools. I've fried OBD2 brains before by accident. The old stuff was largely uncaring about such nonsense.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have this happen sometimes. Drive for a good long time. Turn car off an fill with gas (just to give you a time frame) and restart and stall. I should datalog a HOT restart and see whats going on.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If you have an OBD2 scanner that has a monitor function, you can check what the PCM sees vs what the actual temps are. If they're +/- 5%, they're good. If nothing ever changes or they are way the hell off, change the sensor/check the wires. I had to replace the pigtail on my 93 to the coolant sensor because the wires were all kinked and crapped out.

Comment

Somewhere I have an OBD Bluetooth adaptor. The android obd app should read it then. I'll just have to find it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X