X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big brake swap done on wagon

We'll thanks to all the old post here in the big brake swap
    Had a caliper go bad on the 90 wagon
    And as usual no one had one in stock, so made me dig out the parts I harvested for the big brake swap last year and get it done.
    Must say it was pretty dam easy!
    Either my wagon loves me or being that she had only one other owner and kept her out of the elements
    , I thought for sure the lower ball joints would fight me, but they popped out no problem with the press.
    Thanks all for the posts etc
    Joe

Glad to hear it Joe! I plan to gear up for this soon as I get my new box. After the experience I had 2 weeks ago, brakes are a high priority before anything. I was in an accident that involved a lock-up slide into some dumbass that made a left in front of me. After the fact I really felt that my previous '98 interceptor probably would've stopped where my '90 lx just locked up and slid. No guarantees on anything really but it bothers me and I plan to address it readily. Kudos for buckling down and just doing the deed. Hoping to buy a '91 this coming weekend so I can start all over....

Comment

Braking and suspension before go fast bits.

big brakes FTW.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The stock brakes are just way too inclined to lock up. I think the better tires that are part of the brake swap also play into it. A lot of 15" tires range from "meh" to complete shite. If the tire is sliding, its got less grab power than the brake pads do. The extremely narrow threshold on the stock brakes makes it harder to modulate though.

I have scared people with how fast I can haul my Townie down from speed without it doing anything stupid.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And disks on the back, go drumless!
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
            And disks on the back, go drumless!
            Working on it, course my rear discs are larger than your fronts :p

Wonder how awesome a big-brakes rear-discs car will be with hydro... Gonna find out soon enough I guess
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Dear Panthers,

I really, really hate it when you put the brakes to the floor and your car becomes a sled.

Donald McCaig

Comment

I have a 97 disc rear with 3.73 a I setup
                Will I need to change master cylinder when I do the swap?
                Anyone attemp to add ABS To a box? Since I would have the abs exciter rings on all for corners when I swap the rear

Comment

The master depends on what you got now. Technically you can run factory box master as is but they tend to wear the rear pads a bit on the quick side. If you got the '89-up aluminum master with the plastic reservoir you should be able to just swap the valve screwed into the rear (closer to the booster) port for one out of a factory-discs Panther tho. If you got an all-metal master you gotta swap the whole thing to a newer two-piece master.

The ABS swap has been done 2.5 times so far - two cars are operational, the 3rd one has the system installed but is currently inop due to body rust issues. The person who posted right before you has the first conversion.
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                  The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Anyone have a how to write up
                    On the abs swap?

Comment

Working...
                    X