90 Town Car - stuttering at highway speeds under throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 Town Car - stuttering at highway speeds under throttle

Hi Everyone! Got an interesting issue with my 90 Town Car - don't know if its transmission or engine related. If I'm on the freeway going 60 or more the Town Car seems to stutter while accelerating or even just keeping speed. I've tested it and it happens in 3rd and 4th gears. Does not do this around town at all that I can tell. I just put in a new fuel pump recently but I think it even did it a little bit before this.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Hmm. Check the basics, fuel pressure, timing, plugs, wires, fuel filter. Is it a MAF equipped car?

Describe this stutter of which you speak; is it a shudder? Does it feel like the engine is missing?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
      Hmm. Check the basics, fuel pressure, timing, plugs, wires, fuel filter. Is it a MAF equipped car?

Describe this stutter of which you speak; is it a shudder? Does it feel like the engine is missing?

Ok. Not so much a "shudder" as it is a light back and forth motion. it is like it's running out a fuel a little bit...or as if the the tranny was slipping a bit and grabbing again rapidly.

It is a MAF car. both MAF and Fuel Pump have been replaced in the last year. Both rectified obvious major problems (no fuel pressure - fuel pump fixed it, and maf was verified dead, plugged in new one and it was running perfectly).
      1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Most likely an ignition issue (misfire). The AOD does not use a clutch style torque converter like the AODE/4R7X, so it can't be the shudder issue. It could however be worn clutches in the transmission itself when it shifts into 3-4 and it's having trouble holding the gears, but I would definitely lean on ignition issues first as that's almost always the case. Check for loose/damaged wires, timing, and the usual top end tune-up stuff (plugs/wires/cap/rotor). Since it doesn't do it in 1-2, the shock that you're feeling is probably being absorbed by the torque converter. When it shifts into 4 (OD) the torque converter is totally out of the equation (it's still partially used in 3rd from what I've been told) and you feel ANYTHING wrong with the engine. Since it's a MAF car, check for vacuum leaks and leaks in the intake hose behind the MAF as that could lead to a slight lean condition that could cause the misfire.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Mine does this every 15k miles - spark plugs in my case. May be worth checking on yours.

And 15k is not normal - mines just a very worn engine that dirties its plugs quickly.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

thanks for the advice guys - I'll check out all the ignition parts and replace the plugs if they aren't sparkling clean.

Comment

'90 Town Cars were MAF? I thought they were speed density still.

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
              1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

Originally posted by 89TownCar View Post
                '90 Town Cars were MAF? I thought they were speed density still.
                I think california cars only got the maf...

Comment

Cali car most likely. 49 state were speed density.

Another possible is EGR problems. I had issues with the regulator on mine and it was going full open when it shouldn't be. It cleared up over about 55 but it surged and ran stupidly below that. Unhooking the green line from the EGR valve stopped it.

Just a thought for another quick check if the ignition stuff comes out as being fine.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

well, plugs electrodes were white...i think that means lean...i did have a slowly dying fuel pump for a while so that makes sense. Gap also seems a little wide. Replacing the plugs today. Also, cleaned up the cap and rotor with a little sandpaper, everything looks good. Also found some moisture must have gotten into the coil wire plug on top of the coil...pretty rusty under there. Replaced the coil wire and sanded down the plug on the coil. So far it seems better...hopefully the plugs will make it even better. Then i have to find a long high speed hill to climb to test it!

Comment

EFI plugs tend to run pretty close to white, or extremely light tan. You may be fine there.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by drhill View Post
                        Ok. Not so much a "shudder" as it is a light back and forth motion. it is like it's running out a fuel a little bit...or as if the the tranny was slipping a bit and grabbing again rapidly.

It is a MAF car. both MAF and Fuel Pump have been replaced in the last year. Both rectified obvious major problems (no fuel pressure - fuel pump fixed it, and maf was verified dead, plugged in new one and it was running perfectly).
                        I recall that same feeling on my car. Like a quick iteration of a two beats a few times. Tad-dah,tad-dah,tad-dah.
                        Tightening the pan on the transmission helped.
                        sigpic
                        1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
                        302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
                        COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Well, after checking all of the ignition components, i had the rusty coil terminal i fixed and cleaned up the cap and rotor a bit and I replaced the spark plugs. Most were ok but the rearmost plug on each side had some oil on the electrodes and one of them even was bridged to the tip with oil crud....looks like I found my miss fire!

And I found where that pesky oil leak was coming from - valve covers! So now it runs like a top, i'll probably replace the back two plugs again once I get around to replacing the valve cover gaskets. I can't remember if you have to pull the upper intake to do these? It looks like it but I can't remember...

Comment

To replace valve cover gaskets you will have to remove the upper intake.

Throttle linkages prevent you from removing the valve cover on the drivers side and the actual upper intake plenum blocks removal of the passengers side valve cover.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                            X