• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P71 steering box 2000 into my 90

Ok
    Parted out my 2000 p71 and want to swap the steering box
    I know the sterling shaft needs work to adapt
    But what about pitman arm? Can I leave the 2000 one on and use my 90 steering linkage?
    Also what's the flare sizes for making up the pressure hose?

I think gadget had a similar pondering about the steering linkage some time ago. I came across the following link recently that indicates the Pitman arm, center link, and tie rod assemblies all have to be upgraded to 95+ in order for it to work:

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/suspens...nterlinks.html

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

The pitman arm needs to match the center link. and the center link needs to match the tie rods. You can use a 90 arm on the 2000 box to mate with the 90 center link, or you swap all of the stuff out of the 2000 to use the 2000 pitman arm.

I know they changed it, I do not know quite why. It was on my list of things to do if and when I need to replace all of those parts on my car to convert it to the later linkage, but considering my parts are good I have no motivation to do so at this time.

THe pressure hose is some whackadoo fitting that I have no clue the name of. The usual method of making it work is to sacrifice a pair of lines, the steel end of the later line and the hose part of the early line and marry them together with a double flare union. If you want to have a commonly replaceable line, you can use the complete box pressure hose intact with a double flare connection into the later line, but it lays a little bit funny since its got that "pigtail" part in the tubing. If you want no splices, you're probably taking parts to a hydraulic shop and they are going to be crimping the steel part of the 2000 line into the end of the box hose, or maybe they can actually come up with an adapter to fit into the later box. If thats the route you go, please let us know what the fitting is actually called.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        ... I know they changed it, I do not know quite why. ...
        It says in the link "to improve the toe curve". That's all I know.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I'd like to know what that means in practical terms, like whether it steers better or makes the parts hold up longer.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There is a little less bump steer on the 2000 than on my 93. That may also be the stiffness of the 2000 over the 93 as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X