Ok wagon owners
    My tailgate key switch
    Will go to the right to lock
    And barely turn to the left enough to to drop window
    But not unlock tailgate.
    And the power lock isn't working
    So any way inside tailgate without
    Destroying plastic cover inside?

The cover pops off like a door panel once you get the two (or 1? Can't remember) screws on the top ends. The clips are a little more robust but same idea.

Do you have power locks? If yes, Is your actuator working ok? Otherwise, Get things well lubed in there and all should be well.

May want to replace the felt on the pads the glass slides on if they are crapped out like mine. Kind of a while I'm here type thing.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks I can see one screw and feel the other(drivers side) but can't see a way to get a screwdriver in there
      Yes power locks but the motor crapped out I guess
      And I tried pullig the lock plunger that goes thru the panel with pliers and ripped i5 out
      Ugh

Comment

yeah, sounds like the lock actuator seized.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Can't you put the window down and drop the tailgate down? In that position you should be able to take the panel off and disconnect the lock solenoid. WagonMan
          89 Colony Park
          90 Colony Park
          70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

It's still locked even with the window down
            Something feels jammed or stuck
            When I try to unlock it
            I need to get the lock mechanism free to unlock it

Comment

Gadget
              So with it seized that's what would be fighting me
              To unlock it with the key?

Comment

Originally posted by 9t3lightning View Post
                Gadget
                So with it seized that's what would be fighting me
                To unlock it with the key?
                Yes. I've dealt with this many times on the driver door of my beater. The box actuators are not made to allow movement when they seize up. This is why some have modified and swapped in later actuators that are less prone to this type of failure. Not sure it would work on the tailgate though as I don't have any experience with them.

Use a spare key and some pliers up real close and slowly turn the key with the pliers, gradually increasing the force. The actuator should slowly pop free of it's mounting, or at least move enough so you can get the latch unlocked and the door open. If you see the lock or key start to bend... stop and try another way.
                Last edited by sly; 08-02-2016, 10:05 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oh so it's locked and you can't get the gate open. I have someone continuously hit the unlock button while I pull on the tip that sticks out and it will usually unlock enough to open.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yeah, thats classic actuator failure mode. It blows, but there isn't a lot to be done for it. Banging the unlock button while trying to turn it with the key or pull up on the lock lever is about your best bet. Do not break the key off.

You may be able to remove that panel from inside the car if it just will not go. I believe there is enough room to get it out of there, and then you can get inside the door to pop the actuator out.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The tailgate panel can indeed be removed from the inside. You can use the short leg of a right-angle screwdriver (looks like your typical L-shaped allen wrench, but it's round stock with philips #2 on the ends instead of a hex all the way), or sometimes you get away with just a #2 bit that you can turn with with a 1/4" wrench, or if you're extremely lucky you may be able to even use one of those tiny bit-ratchets on said #2 bit. Either way it's annoying as all heck, but it's doable.
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Working...
                      X