Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the same AOD that's in the Merc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the same AOD that's in the Merc?

I found a couple of these today and was wondering if they are the same one that's in my car?

1990 FORD F150 4 spd auto transmission - $350 (Austin)
    http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/5676855186.html

Ford AOD transmission - $100 (Hutto)
    http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/5710412421.html
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

The $100 core one from the 87-88 Crown Vic or Grand Marquis is the same as yours, yes.

The $350 F150 AOD should be the same as well, however check the length of the tail shaft housing - with Panthers the Crown Vic and Grand MArquis got one length and the Town Cars got 2" longer tails, dunno if the F150 is one or the other or something else entirely. Simple tape measure is all you need to verify this.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Ok thanks sir royal. Spent all day reading trans threads. My heads hurting
      1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

Would an AOD from a F series truck have any advantage over a panther AOD? On an unrelated note, did the AOD's behind the big ole 460 get any extra beef?
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

No AOD behind 460s ever, just small blocks and the 1-year 4.6 mod engine got AOD. As for any advantages of truck over car AOD, dunno.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

You may have to swap linkages on the side of the transmission if you stray away from a panther transmission.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The electrical connector on the passenger side of the F150 trans makes me wonder. AOD's do not have anything over there. AODE transmissions do have an output shaft speed sensor around that location though
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

wasn't the F150 the E4OD?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Could be depending on the engine I guess, but the AOD was a possible in the 150.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah AOD was still an option for 150s. Much better choice for a light truck than the E4OD monster IMHO, the E4 is a great transmission for big stuff tho, once recalibrated from its pathetic factory settings of course.

Didn't notice the connector. Could be an AODE then. Those do need a proper ECM to run, right?

Comment

yeah. It might give you a gear or two with no ECM control but thats about it.

Comment

Says AOD-E on the bottom of the pan, right? Easy to identify if so...

Comment

Says METRIC on the bottom of my AODE IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                          X