Panther AOD Linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panther AOD Linkage

I am going to attempt pulling the trans and engine as one unit. I am trying to figure out the trans linkage.

Pulled this apart without problems.

This rod is connected to the bracket pictured above....

which is connected to the TV cable bracket

I am stuck at this point. Don't know if I should remove the rod (looks like it won't disconnect without difficulty) or remove the bracket that's still attached to the stud? That stud has a little play in it; moves back and forth about 1/8"; don't know if that's normal. If I have to remove the bracket, how do I remove it? It's stuck to the stud.

Packman

I see the actual shift linkage is already disconnected from the transmission. That is usually step #1.

Step #2, use propane torch to heat or just melt the plastic bushing for the TV cable rod where it hooks up to that lever, you can buy a new bushing at the parts store in a variety pack usually. Pop the rod's end off the TV lever once bushing is soft. Then unbolt bracket up front from transmission, lift up a bit till its bottom leg gets out of the hole in the transmission case it's anchored in, then slide the bracket along the bell-crank shaft outboard towards the frame and away from the transmission. Should be good to go at this point.

Edit: do not attempt to remove the TV lever, it's held in place via a roll pin that is inserted thru a hole in the bottom flange of the transmission case, you'll need to drop the pan to get to it, and none of that is needed. Just work at the bushing end of said lever.
    Last edited by His Royal Ghostliness; 08-09-2016, 12:40 PM.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I've managed two trans swaps by prying the shifter rod out of the bushing. It was not easy to say the least. HRG above may have a better idea with the melting.

Did Ford use a special tool for this?
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I'd put the TV lever that you removed back on there before prying on anything. If that rod shifts inside the trans, it will give you trouble re-assembling things. The TV cable itself pops off with a spring clip end, the plastic bushing is just a bastard and deserves to burn. The one time I tried prying one out, I broke the shift lever and had to modify Mustang parts to make it more or less function.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh yeah, that is the shift lever in these pics, ain't it? Keep thinking of my old AOD which had them reversed, TV cable lever up and shifter cable (well, replaced with a solid rod eventually) lever down. In any case, yeah put the missing lever back on, and pull a Trogdor on any and all plastic bushings that get in your way of removing the beast. Except the one in the front bracket for the bellcrank shaft, don't burn that one, you won't have to anyways.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Looks like I will have a long day ahead of me. Not sure if I want to torch anything with all that oil. I wanted to wash all of that off, but the one self-wash station that allowed engine degreasing closed down a few months ago. Can't do it in the driveway as I got prying eyes :-/ I might reinstall said bracket and attempt prying the rod; and do my best not to bend or break it.

Packman

Comment

I also pry the rod out. I haven't had any issues each of the three times I've done it but I'm sure it can easily go wrong.
              At least you are now informed and know to use some caution while prying.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

use a heat/tile gun and some prying. No need to melt the damn thing, just get it soft enough to let go.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

^^^ what he said!

Comment

Got the rod apart, but destroyed the bushing in the process. Need to find another bushing. Engine and trans are out; picked everything off of the engine that I need. Separated the engine and trans; torque converter nuts holding it to the flexplate(?) are stuck. Any tricks to getting them out? Narrow space that only allows a closed-end wrench to get to the offending nuts. Just want the torque converter to be used temporarily; engine is going to the junkyard once I get the TC off of it.

Comment

I always use a ratchet or breaker bar with a short socket.
                      If it's a ratchet I set it to tighten in order to rotate the assembly clockwise (looking from the front of the engine) while I'm on one of the nuts. Once that nut reaches the bottom/6 o'clock, and a second nut comes into view at the right/3 o'clock, remove the nut at 6 o'clock then repeat the process for the nut at 3 o'clock (move it to 6 while another nut moves to the 3 position). Repeat that until all 4 are off.
                      Although that is easier to do before the engine and trans are separated. Also, a cheater bar (pipe over the end of the wrench/breaker bar/ratchet) to give you more leverage can help.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                      X