No announcement yet.

Not The Average Vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check the IAC operation. with the car idling... unplug the IAC. If the car doesn't change idle speed or stumble... then the IAC is probably dead out of the box. This is actually a common problem.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well I believe without the spout connector plugged in the computer isn't seeing the timing signal. So perhaps your problem is with the doohickey the wiring harness going to the distributor plugs into. I know what it's called but it's 6:25 AM right now and I can't think of it...
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The PIP side mounted on the distributor? This motor has a used Motorcraft distributor from a 89 Mustang, I can verify buy the paint pen marks on it, looks to be from a wrecking yard. Do you think I should go ahead and replace it anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by DezertRunner View Post
          The PIP side mounted on the distributor? This motor has a used Motorcraft distributor from a 89 Mustang, I can verify buy the paint pen marks on it, looks to be from a wrecking yard. Do you think I should go ahead and replace it anyway?
          PIP refers to the "ignition pickup", which is inside of the distributor. It is replaceable but requires some effort to do so. If the PIP is completely nonfunctional the engine will not run at all. Intermittent failure is possible but seems to be uncommon.

The module mounted on the side of the distributor is the TFI (ignition) module. Usually if it's going to misbehave, it will happen when the engine is hot and at least work kinda OK when fully cold even if it's failing.

There are two types of TFI module, black and grey, and they can't be mix-and-matched. Our cars need the grey one. Is the one on your used distributor grey or black?

Stupid question but are you 100% sure the car is a 1986? 1985 used a totally different fuel injection system and has its own demons especially around idle speed. If you have a round air cleaner on the middle top of the engine, it's the older system. If you have the large aluminum intake that says 5.0 EFI on top then it's the newer system.

Current driver: wagon
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Please go to new thread to continue -->http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...d=1#post805628

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              Welcome to the forum.

Looks like a beaut. Good luck with your project. Its your car purchased with your money. You can do what you please. Some may not agree but in the end they are not the benefactors for your project.

Looking forward to what you have planned.
              Dave,
              You are so philosophical this morning, get lucky last night???

Comment

Working...
              X