AM noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AM noise

Where would the noise filter (rectifier?) be located?

When I use AM, I hear RF from the alternator whirring, the antenna raising or lowering..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

There really isn't one. You can add one, but I wouldn't expect miracles. Honestly the AM performance on cars built since FM became a thing has been fairly bad. Considering how little there is on AM to listen to at all, its generally not something people consider anymore.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Isn't there a filter attached to the coil bracket ? I believe my 83 has one there.

Comment

I get a good fuel pump whine on all but the strongest AM stations. Does anyone actually get decent AM in their Panther? They should share their secrets.

Bought an original AM for my 68 mustang. It sounds as good as stock box stuff FM (non premium). Gets a lot of stations too - more than I knew were out there still.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

AM noise

The Am was good at one time, but it eroded. The rheostat in the volume knob has a few good spots that don't crackle bad. If I get it just right, all of speakers work.

A new deck would be nice.

Last edited by BigMikeIT; 08-20-2016, 10:47 PM.
          sigpic
          302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
            Isn't there a filter attached to the coil bracket ? I believe my 83 has one there.
            Some of them have it, but that doesn't do anything about the alternator or fuel pump whine. It helps somewhat with ignition static.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Some of them have it, but that doesn't do anything about the alternator or fuel pump whine. It helps somewhat with ignition static.
              Thanks for that bit of info. Under some circumstances I get a bit of whine through the speakers and figured that thing bolted up near the coil may be on its way out..Now come to find out it ain't doing jack in the audio department.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

AM noise???

1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

You can fit a noise filter in the power line. It may help somewhat. Those are basically a choke and a capacitor. Won't help if the noise is actually RF emission that is being picked up from the antenna though, which I suspect a lot of it is. Fords are notoriously noisy electrically. If you put filters on every single device that creates noise, it'll quench it but that gets messy, expensive, and time consuming.

Comment

Come to think of it, the whirring noise could be the fuel pump.

On an aside, where is the little fan that pumps gas fumes. I used to hear it drone, but can't remember when I last heard it.

sigpic

Comment

There is no spoon. The evap system consists of a vacuum solenoid, a charcoal canister, and some vacuum lines. No pumps or fans or any of that. You wouldn't hear any of that working either. The evap opens only when driving along, and its basically silent.

Comment

AM noise

I don't know what to say then. The droning hum would sound like a small fan when the tank would run low or after alot of stop n go. I would hear it over my left shoulder near the tank fill.

Turn off engine, sound would whirr down

sigpic

Comment

my best guess would be that the radio insides are feeling their age. filtering not what it once was, gadget would know that answer, he's the electronics guru.
                          Do you have a power antenna? never had much luck finding a good used one that got me decent radio reception.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                            my best guess would be that the radio insides are feeling their age. filtering not what it once was, gadget would know that answer, he's the electronics guru.
                            Do you have a power antenna? never had much luck finding a good used one that got me decent radio reception.
                            Yep. The switch is on the panel beneath the wheel. If only on AM I hear that whirr. Otherwise the HIFI (full stereo) only kicks in when fully extended.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigMikeIT View Post
                              I don't know what to say then. The droning hum would sound like a small fan when the tank would run low or after alot of stop n go. I would hear it over my left shoulder near the tank fill.

Turn off engine, sound would whirr down

That would be the fuel pump. Its constant run, but it lives in the tank so when it goes low it can get louder.

Comment

Working...
                              X