Whirring and grinding at high rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whirring and grinding at high rpm

My brothers 91 MGM is having some weird issues with the trans. He had it rebuilt a while back and had a shift kit put in it. Now at high rpm it makes a whirring sound, feels like it's grinind, and the whole car shudders, before it changes gear. The fluid is full (not over full) and in good condition. I know he put in a higher stall converter but not sure how high. Any ideas of what it could be?
    2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
    54,xxx miles. New daily driver
    2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
    rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
    114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
    1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
    Dead and sold.

Line pressure may be low and causing things to slip. May need to check that. Or parts replaced are starting to fail. If the rebuild is still under the shop warranty, I'd have them check it out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      Line pressure may be low and causing things to slip. May need to check that. Or parts replaced are starting to fail. If the rebuild is still under the shop warranty, I'd have them check it out.
      I'll have to take a look at it once it gets back from the shop. For some reason my mother had it towed to replace a distributor instead of me doing it. Don't get it but whatever. I don't think it's still under shop warranty but I'll ask my brother and see if he knows

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
      2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
      54,xxx miles. New daily driver
      2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
      rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
      114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
      1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
      Dead and sold.

Comment

Working...
      X