Replacing 88-91 tail light lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing 88-91 tail light lenses

Are 88-91 GMQ tail light lenses replaceable? If so, what's the process? Heatgun and a lot of patience? Actually I need to replace the chrome piece with a reflector below the lense.
    Last edited by Mr Bean; 08-24-2016, 07:40 AM.

I don't actually know, but below is a thread on the topic for the older box tail lights (perhaps you've already found that thread). I would assume dis-assembly for the newer ones would be similar but I certainly could be wrong.
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...hts-Try-this-!
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Yea, I've take apart the older ones before. Those are easy. Heat gun and a flathead and they come right apart. The newer ones look trickier.

Comment

It is glued in and has 6 metal clips to secure it on, 3 on top and 3 on the bottom. None on the sides. I have an NOS replacement lens and I have a mint chrome bezel to put it on to. I have an extra reflector with the chrome edge. All for the passenger side. WagonMan
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

On that topic, what would you guys use to fuse the lense back to frame?
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
            It is glued in and has 6 metal clips to secure it on, 3 on top and 3 on the bottom. None on the sides. I have an NOS replacement lens and I have a mint chrome bezel to put it on to. I have an extra reflector with the chrome edge. All for the passenger side. WagonMan
            Would you happen to have a picture of those? I just want to see what it looks like disassembled.

Comment

Nothing is "fused on" The 6 clips and the sealant holds the lens on. There are 3 drain holes on the bottom lip of the lens in case water gets in. Four 3/8" nuts hold the reflector on to the lens.WagonMan
              Attached Files
              89 Colony Park
              90 Colony Park
              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                On that topic, what would you guys use to fuse the lense back to frame?
                After gluing on the disco ball mirrors, I re-assembled the housing together with RTV. It went back together fairly tight and didn't need a strong adhesive. This way it would be easier to take it apart if I had to repairs the mirrors.

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
                George Burns

Comment

Neat and thanks. Someone at Santing's OK Tire Store in Windsor destroyed the mounting tabs on our GMC when they took the taillights off only they didn't say anything. Me being OCD can't fathom the possibility of mis matched lenses but wasn't sure what to reassemble the taillights with once I separate them from the housing.

Comment

The problem with using RTV is that it won't come apart easily. You would have to cut the RTV, likely breaking the tail light. I use butyl tape which is what the factory uses to seal the lights. Heat it up with a gun until it's super soft then stick the lens on there. When it cools off it creates a water tight seal. Heat it back up to take the light apart.

Comment

Butyl tape. It is what was used to seal in windshields to cars prior to the urethane they use these days (well, since sometime in the 80's anyway). Its also what ford recommends.

Comment

Cool, thank you fellas! I'll pick some of that up.

Comment

Working...
                        X