Muffler delete v.s. glass pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffler delete v.s. glass pack

Would replacing the muffler with a glass pack give essentially the same result as a muffler delete?

mike

Have heard a single exhaust box with a single glass pack. Also have had glass packs on my duals on the 88. Both cars were still factory cat cars. Neither are as loud as muffler delete. Which is still not that loud with cats intact.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

They both sound fairly horrible, so not a ton of difference honestly.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Performance wise identical?

mike

Comment

More or less, one is a straight pipe the other is still a straight pipe but with a chamber around it that some of the exhaust gases may choose to enter and occupy for a short while. I'm with Gadget tho, they kinda suck in sound. Then again I'm kinda biased to quiet exhausts with a slight rumble, this braap-braaaap-braaaaaaaap crap is for rednecks with lifted trucks so you know there's a cobbled-up POS coming your way and you got enough time to get the hell outta dodge so when it self-destructs you're conveniently outside its damage range
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
            More or less, one is a straight pipe the other is still a straight pipe but with a chamber around it that some of the exhaust gases may choose to enter and occupy for a short while. I'm with Gadget tho, they kinda suck in sound. Then again I'm kinda biased to quiet exhausts with a slight rumble, this braap-braaaap-braaaaaaaap crap is for rednecks with lifted trucks so you know there's a cobbled-up POS coming your way and you got enough time to get the hell outta dodge so when it self-destructs you're conveniently outside its damage range
            Sorry to say, I've been running dual 18" cherry bomb glasspacks for 17 years.
            I didn't want the car to sound like every other car with flowmasters.

The car is not a mustang or a sports car, so why try to make it sound like one. They offers a less restricted throaty sound and the has run much better anyway.

I'm also running only two cats. The smaller ones closer to the factory manifolds were removed 25 years ago.
            sigpic
            1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
            302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
            COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Ran glasspacks on my '98 p71. Had stock manifolds and cats, after that, 2-1/4" x-pipe with 12" glassies and 2-1/4" out the back. Sounded pretty damn good. On a box with stock cats, be a little noisier. Without cats, it'll sound like ghosty said, or like an East LA julio hotrod.

If you like a straight-through muffler there's lots of choices. I like different too so I put Moroso Spiral Flows on my previous '90. Definitely sounded different. Strong but I never quite warmed up to it. Sounded kinda like an old big-block car rather than a healthy small-block. I dunno. My advice is to try out different mufflers until you find what you like. That's what I've always done when possible. 2 of the same car may sound totally different with the same exhaust so each experience may vary.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I have stock single exhaust. Primarily looking for simple cheap (emphasis on cheap) ways to get the most out of the little lopo. Not primarily interested in sound but don't want obnoxious.

Muffler delete and spark timing are a couple of things I see mentioned frequently.

Comment

Honestly the single glass pack sounded better than my duals. Mine have a lot of "blattiness" and kind of sound like a wheezing cough through a straw. Idle sounds good though. Having all 8 cylinders in one pipe smooths it out a little.

I wish side exit exhaust was legal in VA. I'd be running cats and no mufflers out both sides.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The muffler isn't the biggest part of the problem, its the over-axle pipe. You really want duals. It will do more for you than removing the muffler and keeping the stock silly straw tailpipe.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                      Honestly the single glass pack sounded better than my duals. Mine have a lot of "blattiness" and kind of sound like a wheezing cough through a straw. Idle sounds good though. Having all 8 cylinders in one pipe smooths it out a little.

I wish side exit exhaust was legal in VA. I'd be running cats and no mufflers out both sides.
                      I like the blattiness quality and that's the same term I called it. However, my car doesn't sound blatty. Maybe with a Y-pipe it would since more oscillating pressure is being forced thru.

A guy I knew in college had an 87 Tbird with the HO, and it sounded great. Maybe the cherry bombs (I have) don't have that sound. They've been welded in for a while, don't really show rust on the outside and have always sounded the same.

I recall before I had the exhaust axle extensions, under the car, sounded like a ghetto blaster.

How could we not do the over the axle pipes? I was always told it wouldn't work or be the same as older cars.
                      sigpic
                      302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")

Comment

even with the single exhaust... my 88 never sounded blatty. Even when the muffler detonated from some pinholes in the exhaust... rich exhaust on a cold morning, hot cats, and rust flakes keeping the hot mix from exiting the tailpipe. It just got a little louder in the car. The only time it sounded bad was when the air injection pipe broke off the side of the driver cat. I wish I had recorded those sounds... but I did record what it sounded like with the single magnaflow muffler... (Later put on magnaflow cats and the sound didn't change)

It's really hard for a stock lopo to sound like crap with good cats installed and full pipes. They're just not loud.

For comparison... my 93 with the same style magnaflow mufflers and cats and dual exhaust is rather loud in comparison...
                        (original engine) https://youtu.be/2bMLUPdo4Lg
                        (PI Swapped - no change to the exhaust) https://youtu.be/ZLEXZJCchLw

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Let's see if this video posts via TT. [edit, nope]

Ran out of space on phone to take a startup.
                          https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...lRCWmdNWExCZHc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by BigMikeIT; 08-27-2016, 11:06 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Not bad mike, not bad.

Comment

I'm not a fan of glasspacks either; but, I had a 3" single exhaust on my '78 Malibu with the barnstormer of a 305sbc :-/ I ran Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers, 3" cat, and 3" exhaust w/glasspack. That sounded mean and it didn't have the blattiness unless I rev'd it up a bit. I think that particular engine benefitted more from a large single exhaust than a smaller dual. At the least it sounded a lot better.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X