No announcement yet.

Muffler delete v.s. glass pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest problem I had with the quiet mgm was pedestrians just stepping off the sidewalk without looking. They didn't hear it either. After losing the muffler, it was more apparaent (Single no muffler sounds alright on a lopo) and at least got a glance from pedestrians.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
      Both asspacks and straight pipes sounds like shit on a lopo. I mean, if you want your car to sound like it's ready for a demo, by all means go for it.
      Maybe if using turndowns with glasspacks. When I put them on initially at a night auto class, I didn't have time to hang the over-the-axle pipes. So, they dumped out at the axle. The sound was sooooooo loud I had to drive 5mph. We call that a ghetto blaster in NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      sigpic
      1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
      302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
      COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

a hole in the side of the cat makes a lopo sound like a race car. good times.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Dear Panthers,
          The Shooting Brake is fairly quiet but needs lizard skin (or similar coating) in lots of places. After 4,5,12 hours in a car any noise is irritating.

Donald McCaig

Comment

I live in California so I have to run cats. That in itself quiets things down considerably. The other car had headers and full 2.5" with tiny Moroso Spiral-Flow mufflers. With just the 2 3-way cats I had put back on it wasn't very loud, no drone, and downright pleasant on the highway. You could hear it but between road/wind noise and the radio, almost silent. I may have to put 2 more cats on it once the 347 goes in but we'll see if it runs clean enough. I also despise dumps and will always run tailpipes.

Comment

I'm running a single thrush glass pack on the boat.. it's motor is stock but after running it with a hanging muffler the glass pack was absurdly quiet so much so I thought it stalled out. For a 27 dollar fix for a rusted muffler I can not complain. At 60mph I can only hear the knock of the engine. So the thrush glasspacks are really quiet.

Comment

First mufflers I ran on the '98 were thrush turbo glasspacks, welded into the stock system. I had 2-1/4" thrushes with stock everything except 24" long megaphones. It looked a little weird but sounded awesome I thought. Some thought the same, others thought not. Pushrod motors though, sound better with less. People that cut out cats with mod motors, make their cars sound like crap. 5.0's seem to sound better without cats but i'm stuck with them. If you can, remove 2 and put some good, noisy mufflers in. Single will never sound good unless you're running a single 3.5" with a seriously built turbo motor...

Comment

Working...
                X