X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cranks but won't turn over

Hey guys!

I am on a limb here.

My 1997 Lincoln town car executive has been having problems that sometimes after sitting a while (greater then 2 days), intermittently would crank longer then usual before turning over (firing over).

Well TODAY, it wouldn't even turn over (catch/fire)! It would crank very well mind you, just wouldn't turn over.

Has anybody ran into this issue? Any ideas what it could it be? Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. This is my daily, so I am fairly dependent on this car!

I know the fuel pump has been replaced within two years, I changed the fuel filter and changed the spark plugs and wires 1.5 years ago when I did the intake swap.
    Last edited by porschpow; 08-29-2016, 06:41 AM.
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Crank sensor probably. That is what gives your ignition signal

Comment

I would still be very suspicious of the fuel pump. There are other things it could be of course, but you are gonna want to check/have checked your fuel pressure. I don't know the procedure, but you can rent a tool at AutoZone and O'Reilly (I have worked for both) that they will refund you for when you return it. Aftermarket fuel pumps aren't usually as good as original equipment, so unless it is a Ford or Delphi pump, I wouldn't be surprised if it croaked again. Easy enough to see if it is at least turning on.
      Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
      Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
        Crank sensor probably. That is what gives your ignition signal
        I am going to investigate and check and clean it, see if it's that

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
          I would still be very suspicious of the fuel pump. There are other things it could be of course, but you are gonna want to check/have checked your fuel pressure. I don't know the procedure, but you can rent a tool at AutoZone and O'Reilly (I have worked for both) that they will refund you for when you return it. Aftermarket fuel pumps aren't usually as good as original equipment, so unless it is a Ford or Delphi pump, I wouldn't be surprised if it croaked again. Easy enough to see if it is at least turning on.
          I know you can (if you need to) take out the pump with the tank still in, so that's a good thing, yeah I think you would just plug it into that Schrader valve in the rail to check.

Yes, too see if it's turning on, you just turn the car ignition right before you crank it to hear a buzz from the pump (unless the relay is crap)

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Fuel pressure test would quickly rule out a faulty fuel pump. If it comes up to pressure by turning the key on and letting the pump do its 2 second prime, the pump and its circuitry is OK. Just screw the gauge in and it will tell all. I bought a gauge. I got the fancy kit on Amazon for the same 30 bucks that the gauge-only kit sells for at Advance. Same gauge, but it came with a bunch of extra adapters, a nice hard case, and a basic but serviceable multimeter. I've used it like 3 times but having it on hand beat the pants off having to go rent it and hope theirs wasn't broken.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good call as usual Gadgo, think i'll order one of them fancy test kits.

Comment

they may not have it anymore. I got it a few years back when I needed a gauge to confirm a dead fuel spider on a Chevy. Possible I got it on ebay, I honestly don't recall. I just know it was at an extremely favorable price.

Looks like the Actron CP9920A sells for like 80 bucks now on amazon.
                Last edited by gadget73; 08-30-2016, 05:59 PM.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

what should be the pis reading after it's done it's 2 second prime, 35-40 psi?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

yes just about

Comment

Sounds aboot right. It also shouldn't drop like a rock after its done priming. If it falls off very rapidly, thats a problem with the check valve inside the pump, or a problem with the fuel pressure regulator. It will creep down slowly but it should hold for an hour or so at least.

Comment

So just to catch everyone up, BTW this is starting to get very annoying!!!!

I hit the inertia switch to engage it and push the button back on (thinking that it may be snagged) along with ensuring the crankshaft position sensor is in right and WHATAYA KNOW it started right up.

Last night, I cleaned the contacts and put some dielectric grease on the connectors to be sure. Fine great dandy. This morning, I noticed it's back to it's old tricks. Luckily it started, but it took a little longer then usual to turn over.

No codes, pump obviously runs. Only thing I need to do is get one of those pressure gauges that is supposed to tap into the fuel rail (looks like a bicycle tube stem). I thought I had one, but not with that fitting

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Last time I thought I had a flaky inertia switch it was actually the connector on the switch. Was fairly obvious once it was unplugged because the plastic had gone melty.

Have you ever tried switching the fuel pump relay with another one? The AC relay is right next to the pump relay, and will interchange. They also use the opposite contact, so switching them uses virginal contacts on both. Wanky ECM relay could do it too. If you get no Check Engine light with the key on when its doing this, its the ECM relay.

Comment

I will look into those relays, but just to humor myself, I went to AutoZone to get one of those fuel pressure testers. With key on engine off, it hardly registered 2 psi. As I turned the key off and on again (did it for 6-10 times) I noticed the gauge increased little by little until it stopped at 27-28 psi.

I was told it could be a weak pump, as it was brought up before.

I hooked the gauge up to my 89, and it barely hit 2 psi, even with doing the key on over and over again.

Maybe it's a bad tester....

But it could explain why the 97 is acting this way, not to mention pinging as well!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Unlikely that both cars failed the same way. Did you rent or buy the gauge? Somebody may have dropped the gauge.

Where is hamilton?
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                              X