Lightest most flimsy front sway bar??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightest most flimsy front sway bar??

Car is making some power and really needs a diet so I need to loosen/lighten up my front end for more traction but it's still DD. Going to get rid of my addco big solid front/rear bars and get the lightest/flimsiest front bar I can for my 91 box as it's scary without any front bar when ya letter rip lol... Though it has pulled the front tires on the street with no bar + 90/10's

Just lookin to see what cars take the cake in that dept, I assume it's stock civi boxes but for some reason I may remember there was even 1 step weaker... thanks guys
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Have you considered station wagon sway bars? 1-3/16" diameter but hollow inside, supposedly comparable in stiffness to the 1" solid police front bar but at a fraction of the weight. Meaning you can shed some weight like you want to, and still retain cornering behavior similar to what you're already used to.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

That has crossed my mind but unhooking the swaybar links does help the front do it's thing helping launch quite a bit so I was thinking something flimsy but I also DD the car with a shitpile of daredevil deer ripping around that I will have more close encounters with too.
      I'll have to think about that. Is the stock Civi box front bars the weakest? odd question I know to be looking for flimsy.

I don't run a bar in the back with the way the 4 link is setup now so maybe I should do the wagon type thing.
      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

i do believe the smallest front diameter bar is 7/8".........it is a solid bar tho. i have that bar on the lss and i like it......i had a cvpi bar on it yrs back, didn't care for it on the lss

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The man with the knowledge lol. So I'm pretty well looking for the stock box civillian bar then I think as the smallest diameter hollow bar?
          It's what 1" and hollow? It's been so long

Comment

I may have a rusty old stock civi swaybar hoarded. You can have it for free if I can find it.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

The only hollow stock bar is the wagon bar AFAIK.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks johnunit, where are you at again?

Really damn that's the only hollow hey, well I have mint front and rear addco bars to trade+a bit if cash if anyone has a wagon bar they want to bump up a notch.

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
                  That has crossed my mind but unhooking the swaybar links does help the front do it's thing helping launch quite a bit so I was thinking something flimsy
                  The torsional stiffness of the bar (based on diameter mostly) only comes onto play when you're trying to twist one of its "wings" with respect to the other, as in when experiencing body roll while cornering or changing lanes. In situations where the entire front end is going up or down (hard launches or heavy braking) it matters not whether you have a baby 3/4" bar or a 2" solid monster from like the rear of a powerline company's bucket truck, the entire bar will always just rotate in its bushings that attach it to the frame. Disconnecting the links helps you launch because it eliminates the bind in the endlink bushings, but that bind is always there and always the same regardless of swaybar size - it's based purely on the design of the end links, their bushings want to sit in one position only and any deviation from it is met with resistance (literally). If you wanna lose the need to mess with the endlinks look into retrofitting the newer style ones with the two mini ball joints in them, unlike the squished bushing design that only wants to sit in once spot (and fights you when you're launching) the ball joints are free to rotate as they please and don't have a "self-centering" position, thus they offer no resistance against launching or brake dive.
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

I believe there are pinnable end-links for Heeps. Maybe one of those would be compatible. Failing that it wouldn't be all that hard to have a set made.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you're looking to sell the bars, let me know. I might have a use for them.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        I believe there are pinnable end-links for Heeps. Maybe one of those would be compatible. Failing that it wouldn't be all that hard to have a set made.
                        Quick-disconnects, yes they are readily available. But again he doesn't need them - the Heeps want the swaybar disabled to allow one wheel to go up while the other is going down without nothing fighting them, in his case both wheels go up and down together so the swaybar isn't fighting them, just the endlinks are. A set of '98-'02 style links will eliminate that bind while still allowing full swaybar action when the car starts leaning while cornering. One of the rare case of being able to have your cake and eat it too

Comment

Actually the sway bar does play a decent roll in launch as the car isn't full tube chassis/caged yet so being so long the car does twist up front with the engine trying to wrap up the front of the car in the mounts.
                          Letting the front just pull the drivers tire like it does and do its thing leaves less influence on the back half of the cars side to side loads at the tires... Not theory, spent tonnes and tonnes of time getting it to hook up like it does.

I will be doing a full tube chassis/cage in the future with aftermarket a-arms and will set up an ideal setup there with the sway bar with the ball endlink setup you're mentioning but for now just a light duty stock piece will be the ticket.

From what i'm hearing the civillian bar might be the ticket or possibly the wagon piece if 1 can be had

Comment

Will be selling the addco bars in the winter allong with quite a bit of other goodies at upgrade time

Comment

Ah, ok, yeah if you twist the chassis up where one tires comes off the ground before the other the swaybar will be doing its thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X