No announcement yet.

1984 Delta 88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camaro or S10 wheels? Looks pretty decent with them regardless.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Can't beat the price, although i'd be inclined to go 17" just for tire availability. Not sure how it is elsewhere but it's a whore to get 15 or even 16" tires here anymore. Everyone drives ghetto brawlers with nothing under 20" anymore. I maintain that my car has "wheels" because they're 17". "Rims" are 20" and over, and i'd never own anything with them on it. Ever. Except maybe a military vehicle...
      Can't wait to see what else you do to the olds. Think about Moroso Spiral Flow mufflers when you go duals, they sound pretty good.

Comment

Test-drove a brand new F350 way back when they first started offering them with factory 20s, meh they can keep that rubberband crap, even the dually Ram (stiffer suspension and 2x the rear wheels) drove nicer than them things. Same F350 with whatever the smaller factory wheels were, much improvement in ride quality. Nowadays every time I see some fool on 20s I'm like bitch I got 22.5s and unlike your junk these don't blow on rough roads AND also got the brakes to back them up. And then some cow hauler flies by at Mach 3 rolling on mirror-polished 24.5s Alcoas with some $$$ air discs behind them, and I shut up, lol
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
          Camaro or S10 wheels? Looks pretty decent with them regardless.
          Thanks! They're from a camaro. I've gotten mixed reviews on them. I plan on painting them next year.

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
          Can't beat the price, although i'd be inclined to go 17" just for tire availability. Not sure how it is elsewhere but it's a whore to get 15 or even 16" tires here anymore. Everyone drives ghetto brawlers with nothing under 20" anymore. I maintain that my car has "wheels" because they're 17". "Rims" are 20" and over, and i'd never own anything with them on it. Ever. Except maybe a military vehicle...
          Can't wait to see what else you do to the olds. Think about Moroso Spiral Flow mufflers when you go duals, they sound pretty good.
          17" doesn't look right on these cars. I saw a pic of someones 2-door delta with the 17" Impala SS wheels and although they're nice wheels they didn't look right on the car.

I finally figured out the issue with the trans. It's not the trans itself but an issue with the valve body. I'll worry about it next year. The car is going to be hibernating in a week or 2 anyways.

'93 T-bird
          '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
          '88 Mark VII
          '86 CV

Comment

Knucklehead i never had trouble finding 15 inch tires I buy my tires at Discount America's Tires. Yes you can get name brand tires there too.

Comment

Exactly, what pipe are you guys hitting? LoL I can get BFG's, Goodyears, Michelins and Firestones in our size. Might actually go with Firestones. Taller sidewalls usually trade off response but man do they sure ride nice, not to mention you get more resistance to parking curb rash and blow-outs from potholes, which unfortunately are a thing in rust belt states.

EDIT: Tirerack.com is your friend.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Tire Rack has some decent deals. I bought two sets from them. What gets you though is the local shops. Here they want between $20-27 per tire to mount and balance plus valve stems, On the set of snow tires I bought last week, it was much cheaper to get the same tire locally then tire rack + the local screw job.

Comment

I bought a set of Hooker headers off craigslist for $80. Come to find out they're for a BBO. Also found out that BBO headers will fit SBO motors. They're just about an 1" taller. I also got an electric fan for it from a late model silverado. Both of them I'll put on in the spring.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                  Tire Rack has some decent deals. I bought two sets from them. What gets you though is the local shops. Here they want between $20-27 per tire to mount and balance plus valve stems, On the set of snow tires I bought last week, it was much cheaper to get the same tire locally then tire rack + the local screw job.
                  The most I've seen around here for mounting is $20. Cheapest was $15. I took the tires that were on my Bird and put them on the Delta. Mounted them myself. Come spring when the car comes out I'll have them balanced.

'93 T-bird
                  '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                  '88 Mark VII
                  '86 CV

Comment

Nice car. Over the summer there were a number of those popping up for sale in this region on Craigslist.

Also like the 68 Galaxie in your sig photo. I had one just like it except mine was white with black vinyl top and interior and the 302.

Knucklehead, this isn't exactly a Diplomat but it's been hanging around on Craigslist for months and needs a new home:

https://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/5891532795.html
                    David
                    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
                    14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

Comment

Those 5Th Avenues aren't bad cars. I've driven them, very comfortable, slow like a Box Panther and pinky steering (even lighter than a stock box). 318 will run forever with a three speed torque flight. You could do worse. As a plus, the AC and Heat work amazingly well.
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I love it! Damn I just want to collect stupid box cars. May be an illness...

Comment

'Toxic Box Syndrome'....oh, wait....that might be something else.
                          David
                          1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
                          14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

Comment

I think thats my friend's ex wife.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nice Olds! I like the wheel selection too. I always wondered if a decent exhaust would wake up the 307.

My mom had an '83 Delta 88 before we got the '86 CV. I didn't know what to do with that car; wanted to swap a chevy small block in there to replace the 307, but without internet access (at the time), I had no info to go on. I remember that the 307 was quite torquey.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                                Nice Olds! I like the wheel selection too. I always wondered if a decent exhaust would wake up the 307.

My mom had an '83 Delta 88 before we got the '86 CV. I didn't know what to do with that car; wanted to swap a chevy small block in there to replace the 307, but without internet access (at the time), I had no info to go on. I remember that the 307 was quite torquey.
                                Only thing that'll wake up a 307 is chucking it over a cliff and putting a real engine in. That, or a shitload of nitrous, lol. The 307 has long, and rightly, been maligned as a turd of a motor. I mean, they run, but that's about all you can say about them. I think even the 305 has a better reputation, and we all know that one. One thing you can say about the GM junk of the era is that the drivetrain as a whole was much less complex than the ford stuff. This is a good and bad thing really but in terms of repair/modification, would certainly simplify a lot of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X