What is a good 14 sec recipe (1/4).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a good 14 sec recipe (1/4).

How to inexpensively push boxy Crown Vic into 14's? 393- 427 strokers?
    “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

You could use those...if you can afford them they will most certainly make it easier.

Sent while like doing stuff and what not.
    1990 Crown Vic - Lowered, E303 cammed, Short tube headers, H-pipe and Thursh welded mufflers dumped....MANY UPDATES COMING
    1999 Expedition EB mildy lifted on 33" Toyo's
    2012 4Runner Trail, 33" Duratracs, KDSS,lifted and louder.

Comment

Dear Panthers,
      What should a stock box sedan pull? A wagon?

Donald

Comment

High 16s to 17s in good working order with EFI. CFI/carb I think was in the 18-20s zone. Explorer swap with cam/springs/tune should bull mid 15s easy and maybe low 15s. Gut the car and it should pull high 14s. 351 based stroker would definitely make 14s easy and possibly knock on 13s.

I know my 93 is in the high 15s with just 230HP/274ft-lbs at the wheels (mid 15s would probably be the norm on a good day) with full LX trim and subwoofers in the trunk.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Depends on the day too. The two runs I made at Numidia this year were .3 different and I did absolutely nothing to the car. Temperature started to drop as the day went on. I wouldn't be all that surprised if that 16.3 turned to high 15's when its not so hot and humid. Also, Towncar, so several hundred pound disadvantage.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Best I ran in the Vic was a 15 flat on a cold November day at Englishtown Raceway in New Jersey. That was before my intake swap, tune and such. So on a non humid day, cool with sea level. I can't see why it couldn't be in the 14s.

Comment

NITROUS!!! Lots of it. Of course you'll probably blow the LOPO sky-high, but a good hot shot would get you in the 14's. A healthy HO motor with Heads/Cam/Intake would get you there with the right gears and traction. If you have 2.73's, or even 3.08's, nothing but a turbo will get you there probably. Definitely get at least a shift kit or valve-body too, as stock shift points SUCK! Or shift it manually. How much are you looking to spend?

Comment

My dd merc is running 14.1's at a heavy 4300lbs race weight. Also has super heavy wheels/tires and drivetrain. The nitrous hasn't left the garage this year but it will see 12's no problem with a "small" 2 shots of that.

Stock bottom end (with used forged ho pistons/arp bolts throughout) Bone stock untouched explorer heads, frpp shorty headers, xe258 cam, 30lb injectors (run max at 76% duty NA) 1.6rr's, and explorer intakes that I have allot of time/experience with porting, allong with an intake pipe I make to match. Quite suprized as everything unported with a famous lidio dyno tune (100% identical parts) was running 15.2's before at the same weight.
                Also did a megasquirt stand alone system and allot can be had from actually knowing how to tune vs set things at 12.5afr and as much timing as possible before knock like most "tunes".

All the data logging I have got this year shows there is going to be allot to gain porting the explorer heads, doing an xe270 (114lsa for the edge of still stock idle) cam and tigging up some 1-5/8 tuned longtubes will have it well down into the 13's.
                Time permitting i'll make a sheetmetel 1piece intake for mine but that may be next next winter.

All 87-91 oct gas depending on the bank account. 25mpg cruise. Etests like it's electric lol. 5700rpm shifts have been found to be ideal over the 5900 I was doing.
                Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

For what it's worth I ran about 15 bottles of nitrous through it back in the days of my lopo bottom end with the stock explorer top end/xe258 (ran 14.9's NA)... 125hp (50+75) shots hit low 13's (4150lbs race weight then).
                  The AOD with silverfox vb didn't like it (slipped until you let off at 3/4 of the 1st shifts) but the motor had perfect oil press/compression when I did the freshen and ho forged pistons just to ease my nerves.

For the 14sec recipe in 1 shot I would do freshened gt40p's with dual springs installed for .600lift ($700)... Matching shorty headers ($150) , freshened 24lb injectors ($150), stock explorer intakes ($150) good with xe258 cam OR (ported intakes are worth about .5-.6 in my experience) $200 which would love a step up to xe264 or xe270 if you make the motor flow well as a whole ($175 for any of them cams).

65mm tb is fine, pp makes a nice cheep 75mm I'm a fan of and takes all the stock hookups, i would HIGHLY reccomend doing the megasquirt conversion but one could get by with a big maf and ofcourse you'd need to have it tuned best they can do on stock computers in the cookie cutter shops. 3.55-3.73 gear ratio at the tires is good.

Losing weight is great, 100lbs is worth about .12-.16 at 15-14sec levels which adds up quick.

Getting down to the low half of the 14's is tricky in a full weight dd on explorer parts but it's a blast once ya get the recipe workin!
                  Good luck buddy
                  HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Lotsa of stuff to learn. I just wish I lived closer to most of you guys.
                    “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

Where are you at? I'm pretty secluded myself in a little country town in canada lol.

Comment

I'm one of I think 2 Californians here so I know about being NOWHERE close to anyone here, lol. Like Merc said though, there's endless configurations that'll get you to 14's, it's all about how you want to do it or what you have available to you. I haven't really had a "plan" per se, but have randomly grabbed parts as they've come available to me, including a recent 347 shortblock. If you just start piecing together parts as you find them, soon enough you'll have everything you need to put together a pretty good combo. Snag an intake, then maybe a set of heads, or throttle body. It's amazing how quickly you can amass a giant pile of parts. Assembling them all into something that works is the real trick though

Comment

Khead, Did you snag it from your Bro?
                          Last edited by mitymerc; 09-13-2016, 01:45 PM. Reason: speeling

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Turns out he found it and picked it up with me in mind! He's already got a dart block 331 being built so I didn't think he had designs on it. He is a little crazy though, so I wasn't sure. Can't wait to get it in but may take some time. It's got one bad piston and i'm debating on getting a new one from JE(local to me as it turns out), or just getting another set of pistons so I can use my edelbrock heads. Pistons in it now are cut for TFS heads.

So as not to thread jack, I will say this for the OP's benefit. Keep your eyes open and grab good deals when you see them. Corral.net is a good source for parts that will mostly fit on our cars. Also peruse ebay, occasionally there are deals to be had there as well. I bought a badass set of RHS heads for pretty cheap, realized i'd never pass smog with them, and traded them straight for some Eddy performers. It's a downgrade but for what I paid it still worked out and I have stupid California-legal heads. Got an intake off craigslist for 140 bucks! It's the Chinese edelbrock but fits and seals fine, and way better flow than anything from ford without porting.

If you're independently wealthy you can just make a phone call to summit and buy everything to make your dreams come true, but most of us aren't like that. I'm not a professional mechanic either and have to work on my projects over at my mother's house, so a lot more than I'd like gets farmed out. Anyhow, long story short, the deals are out there and all the info you could ever want is in here, so if it's a 14-second box you want; a little money and a lot of time on GMN will get you there. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by 90ltd View Post
                              How to inexpensively push boxy Crown Vic into 14's? 393- 427 strokers?
                              Explorer long block with a carb and a cam swap is enough engine for easy 14s. A 393-427 is a 11 second build..

Comment

Working...
                              X