11" Drum brake upgrade questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11" Drum brake upgrade questions

I believe my rear brakes are approaching the end of their useful life. I hear that high pitched squealing sound when backing out of the garage and thought I read somewhere that said drum brakes are designed to make the sound in reverse only.

Anywho, I can't remember the details exactly but I heard the police & tow package cars got bigger drummies. Since I'll be there, is it a direct swap? Can I just buy a new backing plate, the bigger shoes, hardware kit, drums & wheel cylinders or will I need to adjust or make new brake lines too? Can you remove the backing plates without having to remove the axle shafts? I've already had a trac-lok put in it so I will not be going with a disc brake conversion.

Thanks fellas, as always I appreciate the comments & opinions.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Direct bolt on, have to pull the axles out to get the backing plates on. Brake lines are the same, you need the longer parking brake cables from the 11inch car. Best upgrade to our cars next to a rear bar. 11 inch brakes were on all station wagons also.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the quick response!

Hmm, means that I'm not doing the swap meself. I've never pulled axles and don't really want the mess or smell. Can you still buy the parking brake cable? I highly doubt any of the ones I could scavenge would be in working condition. I will probably end up just keeping the stockers...

Comment

Its about the same work as a rear disc swap honestly, and the parts are less available.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Disks are generally less trouble in the long run. My experience and opinion anyway. You do not need to worry about the adjustment working or not with disks. Certainly easier to keep an eye on lining wear. The downside of the panther rear disks is the Drum Ebrake in the hat.

my 89 wagon did not have the 11" drums, just the standard ones.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

woah, wait... I didn't think about that. How do you hook up the new e-brake when you go rear disc?
            1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

I put a disk brake rear in mine, hooking up the e-brake was easy.
              It hooked up the same way and in the same place the drum brake rear did.

Comment

Well I've already dumped money into the LSD so swapping the entire rear end out really isn't what I want to do. Don't want the longer axle shafts. Is there a kit you buy for a conversion or just cannibalize a car from a yard for the parts to do discs? I've never had a problem with drum brakes honestly. I adjust them maybe once or twice a year and they work just fine...

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post

Weird, every wagon in the junk yard I have seen has had them. I wonder if the parking brake cables rusted away, and they just went to 10inch. Or someone put a whole used rear end in.

Comment

Originally posted by dd345 View Post
                    Weird, every wagon in the junk yard I have seen has had them. I wonder if the parking brake cables rusted away, and they just went to 10inch. Or someone put a whole used rear end in.
                    +1. All the regular Box sedans I've seen have the 10" drums. The wagons and police cars have the 11" drums from what I've seen.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I bought my car from the original owner in 2000. I doubt he had the rear swapped at 82K miles but you never know.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

IIRC axles do not need to be changed to swap to disks.
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I'd stick to the ten inchers. They are wider than the skinny 11's so you aren't much friction area over the 10's.

On the rear end swap for the wagon with 10's: warranty swaps can happen very early in vehicle life. A family member ended up with a 3.91's and a traction lok because the dealership didn't have 3.50's in stock and he needed the truck that day. That was 1969. I wouldn't put it past an 80's Ford dealership to just swap rear ends from an in stock car. Or maybe the factory assembly line screwed up and grabbed the wrong axle, or was low on stock of the 11in brakes.
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

IIRC axles do not need to be changed to swap to disks.
                            That would be correct. It's just pull shafts, unbolt drum backing plates, bolt on the disc caliper carrier brackets, slide shafts back in, done. Obviously replacing the housing ends bearings and seals at that time would be an opportunity foolish to miss, especially on a high-mileage axle. Don't fawk with the center section (diff and stuff) any more than pulling the cross shaft out so the axle shafts can be pushed in to release the C-clips - but that would be happening anyways to switch backing plates from one size to the other.
                            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                              Or maybe the factory assembly line screwed up and grabbed the wrong axle, or was low on stock of the 11in brakes.
                              Given that the station wagon in question is the last production year with the narrow housing, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened. One hell of a liability tho, seeing how the brakes are an important factor when assigning gross and towing weight ratings - if that car was ever in a serious accident and it was determined it was not overloaded but simply could not stop on time, the insurance company would have a field day with Ford when they found out the rear brakes are undersized compared to what they're supposed to be... Ah well, water under the bridge at this point.
                              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Working...
                              X