90 Carb Swap..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 Carb Swap..

I want to start piecing together my carb swap for my engine build.....well still trying to decide if i want to go carb. Buuuuut if I do, who's done the swap/ conversion and what did you use? What issues did you run into? Just trying to be prepared.

Sent while like doing stuff and what not.
    1990 Crown Vic - Lowered, E303 cammed, Short tube headers, H-pipe and Thursh welded mufflers dumped....MANY UPDATES COMING
    1999 Expedition EB mildy lifted on 33" Toyo's
    2012 4Runner Trail, 33" Duratracs, KDSS,lifted and louder.

Carb swap, with what transmission? AODs require special brackets and cables to make them function properly with a carb. Unless you can find the proper linkages and such. Among the standard rewiring of the main ignition system, crank wiring and such. The removing the EFI fuel pump or integrating it with a pressure regulator.

Why not keep it fuel injected? The standard a9p computer is a simple way of controlling the 302, tuning it with a chip like the quarterhorse or tweecer, and a laptop is not really that difficult. and even with aftermarket applications such as the megasquirt system it makes the system really easy to tune and modify...

Comment

I did a carb swap to a 83 mark 6 about 10 years ago. I remember using a gas tank, sending unit, timeing cover, and mechanical fuel pump from a 90 crown victoria with the 5.8. I went with the 5.8 also at the time. I used a distributor with points. I went with a edelbrock intake and carb. If keeping the aod, getting the linkage set up for the tv cable is very important. These are things I can think of, hopefully someone who has done the swap more recent in time will chime in.

Comment

I'm with Vicky on this one, i'd stay with the fuel injection. It really does make a lot of this much easier. If anything, convert to Mass-air to give yourself a little more flexibility without having to custom-tune it. Otherwise, you're looking at having to find a lot of rather odd parts that may prove to be a riddle. Or you could make them yourself I suppose, but a ballache either way.

Comment

Wow ok i thought it would be easier...maybe I will keep the efi

1990 Crown Vic - Lowered, E303 cammed, Short tube headers, H-pipe and Thursh welded mufflers dumped....MANY UPDATES COMING

Comment

Working on getting shit together for an engine swap soon here wright, so we'll have to compare notes depending on who makes progress faster, lol. I would have to think you've got a mustang computer just based on the fact that nobody I know of has ever run an HO cam with LOPO computer, at least not without sorcery. Who knows though? For every rule there's at least a few exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
              Working on getting shit together for an engine swap soon here wright, so we'll have to compare notes depending on who makes progress faster, lol. I would have to think you've got a mustang computer just based on the fact that nobody I know of has ever run an HO cam with LOPO computer, at least not without sorcery. Who knows though? For every rule there's at least a few exceptions.
              It doesn't run right I can tell you that. Especially if it's still got the e6 heads and the 13lb injectors lol.

Comment

You need to figure out what you've got before ruling out EFI and a mass air conversion. If they butchered wiring and did manage to get it to run well with the stock ECM, that may be reason to consider the carb. But first document so I can copy what they did! You can always find another EFI harness as well if they did screw around past the point of repair.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

LOL well I've said it in another post but the original owner, who worked at a huge ford dealership, said he got a few of the old timers at work to tune it. But it does in fact have the stock ecu, heads,throttle body and injectors. It is a little laggy at low speeds,like when cruising at 25-30mph thru town and sometimes it does seem like the idle is a bit low. At it will stall out when in reverse after i restart it sits for a few mins. I had it up to about 85 the other day...it's never back fired and starts right up everytime. If anyone wants engine pics or vids just let me know lol

Comment

Time for a motor swap with one that has sensible bits.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And that's what in planning.

Comment

Originally posted by Vwright14 View Post
                        I want to start piecing together my carb swap for my engine build.....well still trying to decide if i want to go carb. Buuuuut if I do, who's done the swap/ conversion and what did you use? What issues did you run into? Just trying to be prepared.

If your goals are over 300HP, it is cheaper to go with a carb. Where EFI will shine on a serious build is with a blower or a turbo. For Nitrous, I would stick with a carb. I used a factory AOD TV cable with an aftermarket bracket on my Holley. A 5.8 fuel tank/pickup with a mechanical pump on the side of the engine is a clean and simple way to go.

Comment

I've been thinking about picking up a junkyard complete 90 harness and comparing it to mine to see if there are noticeable cut wires. That way it make the mass air swap easier if i do currently have a bunch of harness mods.

Comment

For peace of mind, just swap it whole. They're fairly modular and easy to change. One thing that I think Ford was really smart about was keeping the EFI wiring harness apart from the body harness except for the few places where the car actually needs to interface with the engine control.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                            X