Compatibility question (steering box)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compatibility question (steering box)

My front end is tight, however, I have noticed that I have 1.5 to 2 inches of play in the wheel, which leads me to believe its the steering box.

My question is that, am I able to put in a 98-02 Steering box (HPP or interceptor) in my 97 Lincoln town car, or are there compatibility issues with it. Has anyone done this to the aero's?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Might be a good idea to be sure your steering shafts aren't worn out. Apparently a lot of problems with loose steering can be attributed to this. If you haven't already, maybe read this thread from Crownvic.net... not sure if there's an equivalent on this site too though:

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...Number=2084828

Of course, I'm not particularly knowledgeable about this so it may be irrelevant, but I had just read this recently so I thought I would share just in case.
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Very good CVN thread.

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
        My front end is tight, however, I have noticed that I have 1.5 to 2 inches of play in the wheel, which leads me to believe its the steering box.

My question is that, am I able to put in a 98-02 Steering box (HPP or interceptor) in my 97 Lincoln town car, or are there compatibility issues with it. Has anyone done this to the aero's?
        98-02 bolts right on but I recommend getting one from Red Head Steering. They use oversized ball bearings which really tightens them up.

Comment

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/steerin...rtnumbers.html

The interchange matrix for the steering boxes. With minor effort you can swap them all around 1979-2002 but sometimes you have to get creative with the plumbing and the input connection. I have a 2000 CVPI box in my 1986.

97-02 should all be physically identical, the only real difference is what torsion bar is installed. Another problem is that a lot of the "rebuilt" boxes are just re-sealed, and still have a fair bit of slop in them. If Red Head actually ships a fully rebuilt box thats tight like a new one, that would be a good option. I was lucky that Scott was able to get his hands on a super low mile known CVPI box for my car, and its very tight.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

redhead actually reballs them with micrometer measured balls to insure tight, accurate response. Hence the price premium. They really put out a top quality product.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Honestly I'd expect the wear to be more on the worm and worm shaft than the balls themselves. High precision bearing balls you can just buy, and they aren't super expensive. In bulk they probably get fairly cheap. Likely less cash to just buy them vs spending the time to measure.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

pretty much, but if you have balls that don't fit right you will induce slop... so they measure the tolerances of all the balls and make sure they're all the same so there's as little variance as possible.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                  98-02 bolts right on but I recommend getting one from Red Head Steering. They use oversized ball bearings which really tightens them up.

Bolts onto a 97?
                  "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                  -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                    Bolts onto a 97?
                    Yes, 96-02 are the same.

Comment

Working...