Intermittently Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittently Dead

I have a '97 Grand Marquis with 212,000 miles on it. Occasionally over the past 6 months when I park the car, stop the engine and pull the key from the ignition cylinder, the car acts as though the battery is dead. No power to lights, door locks, anything. Sometimes I can put the key back into the ignition, turn it and the car will come back to life. Other times I have to leave it for a few minutes then everything works fine again. I had the battery and charging system checked at AutoZone and the only possible issue seemed to be the negative battery cable connection but it's tight now and I'm still seeing the problem. Any ideas?

Carlos

Sounds like the ignition switch may be on it's way out.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Replace both battery cables just because. 90% of my starting/power issues in all my years of vehicle ownership have been battery cables. Or ignition switch like Fordman said. But battery cables are cheap and easy so it's not a bad starting point.

Comment

Okay, thanks! I'll start with the battery cables and then the ignition switch if the problem persists.

Comment

check the underhood fusebox for corrosion underneath, may be a bad connection, have seen it a few times

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Will do, thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X