Radio GaGa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio GaGa

My 88 MGM has premium sound, but the previous owner replaced the radio with a cheap ass walmart radio, made to handle 4 speakers, thus they decided to omit the dash speakers. When they replaced the radio, they didn't buy an adapter, they just clipped and stripped and ghetto rigged it all together, running new wires to the door and rear deck speakers.
    This morning I acquired a factory cassette radio out of an 87 marquis. I also pulled the radio wire harness out of my 89 parts car, which does fit in the 87 radio.
    What I'm wondering is if there is a way I can run all 6 of my speakers with a four-speaker radio?
    Also, I've searched fruitlessly for a wire colour diagram. Can someone hook me up? Here's a pick of the speaker clip thingy and the radio:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161007_113024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1303629
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161007_113258.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1303630
    Thanks

Doesn't the premium sound have an amplifier somewhere around the rear seat area? I think that is how they get away with 6 channels.

I hate to say it but even a base level pioneer or kenwood will sound better than the premium sound. The dash speakers don't add a whole bunch either.

And you have free reign to yell at me all you want because I don't buy a conversion harness, I snip and clip and then wire nut everything together. Works well enough for door speakers, but I wouldn't trust it with anything that had real amplification.

Comment

To be honest, I strip and clip too, but usually I'll label and bundle wires. What I have right now is an absolute clusterfuck. The radio that was in it is a Dual, straight up garbage. I'm really not too concerned about high quality audio, I mostly just want the cassette deck. Im gonna ignore the factory amp and just use four speakers, if I can get the damn radio to work. I matched colours and hooked all the non-speaker wires up, but radio won't turn on. I know it worked in the other car, and I just had a radio in mine. Already checked fuses. Anything else that might need to be checked?

Comment

I'd start by checking to make sure that you have the power and switched power in the right spots. Also I wouldn't doubt the wires got flipped sometime between 87 and 87.

Tape deck? Why would you ever need one of those lol.

Comment

Well I found a nice pair of speakers in the front really add to the highs, IIRC both fronts were fed from the same output. Not sure. Diagram not handy right now.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I'm betting your 87 doesn't have the connectors you pictured, which depict what looks to be a radio from a Ranger. Some late run 87's have those connectors but they also had super rare adaptors (which I have ) since they were still using the old style radio. My house is still a mess and shit is still in boxes but perhaps I can scare up a pic of the wires and their colors and such.

For god sakes man, wire nuts are terrible, for all that work you can crimp the shit together but the adaptor harness saves the factory harness and saves you time. Orange kitty is cool.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

More I think about it the more I think the fronts (dash & door) were in Parallel.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

dash and door are in parallel.

The old premium sound system used some common ground BS that isn't compatible with much of anything. Use the harness for the power only, run new wires from the radio to the speakers.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've got the speaker wires taken care of, but I'm having issues with the power harness. From left to right, I know green is constant hot, black is ground, and yellow/black is switched. With just these hooked up it should turn on, right? Also, there are only 7 pins on radio, 8 holes on plug, and 6th hole on plug is blank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                  Thanks.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Comment

This is from an F150 of the same era... should be the same for what the pins do if the wires are not the same colors...

I'd check my 88... but that would involve removing stuff... and bah. I think you need all the grounds (if populated on your car) if using a stock radio. Aftermarket should be turning on though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well, I figured out what my problem is.. between 87 and 89 they changed the position of the ground wire. Here's a diagram I drew up:
                      On the left is the 87 plug and on the right the 89.
                      Now to fix !y problem, I'm assuming my only options are to either get a different, correct plug, or find someone with the correct molex tools to add the ground to my harness in the right spot.

Comment

Is there a cap on the back of that grey plug?
                        1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Yeah there's a cap that pops off fairly easily, giving access to the wires. Can I simply pop out the wire that needs to be moved and put it where it ought to be? Or should I snake in another wire in a manner that allows it to rest on the radio pin?

Comment

should be able to use a paperclip or small flat screwdriver to pop the pin out. just be gentle as the plastic clips that hold the pins in place don't always like that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You can see the little tab that holds the pin in on that open slot, gently lift that off the pin and gently push the pin through.
                              The old plastic can be brittle so be careful not the move the tab too much.
                              1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X