Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for 1/2-20 Lug nuts or a lug nut key.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for 1/2-20 Lug nuts or a lug nut key.

I finally lost my lug nut key after having the car for 5 years. It's worse than I could have imagined. Anyone have the key or spare lug nuts? The threads are 1/2-20. The hex head is 13/16" It's for my 86 Rust Box Thanks!

Current ride: 2004 "The Distant future" Grand Marquis

The local parts houses carry those nuts. As for getting the keyed lugs off... rounded nut/bolt remover tools make short work of that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

^^^ What he said. Bring one of your normal lug nuts to the store so they can match it, as there are typically several choices available. Then removing the locknuts can also be accomplished by sacrificing a cheap 12-point socket and applying some serious pounding to get it to bite into the locknuts. But proper tools work much better.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I don't know what the original ones are made out of but believe they are perfect for the job. I just found a set of stainless on eBay. That ought to do it. The lug nuts from the store are so soft it is disgusting, not to mention to short. The heads barely stick out of the rims. I did buy a kit to remove the lock nuts. Thanks! Case closed.
        Last edited by Whosondephone; 10-16-2016, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Never had a problem with the part store special lugnuts... Also remember it's better to strip a lugnut than the stud it screws onto. The stainless stuff online is probably cheap Chinese shit - make sure you anti-seize the crap outta them threads, low-grade stainless threads are very easy to gall if you assembler things dry.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Great advice. Thank you.

Comment

Well, once you find something out the hard way, you tend to pass the info onto others so they don't have to fight the same mess as you did. At least that's how I think stuff should happen.

Comment

many aftermarket lugs are 3/4" hex, not 13/16.

Stockers aren't super hard either. Beat or grind them and they will cut.

Stainless can be a real pain in the ass with galling. it also is subject to cracking and failure when exposed to salty water. Probably not so much a problem with lug nuts, but with genuine Chinesium stainless, who knows.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well even after spending $30 or more on the removal kit, I ended up grinding 16 ridges and hammering the 16-point socket on. His Royal Ghostliness gets points for that. It turns out the new nuts are soft with a stainless cap. I'm willing to bet my transmission will fall due to the frame rusting before one of my new lug nuts gets stuck due to the cap falling off.

Comment

Working...
                  X