No announcement yet.

axle code 5 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

especially if they don't work. Once I converted mine to brakes that worked in the back, I couldn't do burnouts for many years until I put a cam in it. With the stock motor and almost no rear brakes though, it would do a one-tire fire (dead traction lock) that was quite impressive. Especially fun since it knocked like crazy doing it, and the red "replace engine" oil light was on steady.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah... the rear brakes work fine and won't actually overcome fully standing on the brake... but it'll do fine against normal stopping pressure and that heavy nose.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        Don't forget a cam this time..
        Yeah yeah, going HO this time. Already have the cam, just need to snag the right computer and i'll be ready to rock. 347+2030 cam+edelbrock heads/intake should=much more fun! Trans will be gone through and a mild stall converter added too. Putting my sway bars on tomorrow!

Comment

Now you're talkin'.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            ..Brake stands are easy with drums too.
            Yep. When I swapped the drummy rear end on my 'bird for one with discs and a 3.23 ratio with posi I found that if I clamped real hard on the brakes it wouldn't brake torque any more.

Comment

stock HO's don't do amazing burnouts either. Not as much low rpm torque as the stock engine has actually, by a fair bit. The torque peak moves up some 1000 rpm. If it won't do a burnout now, its not going to with an HO either.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

OH yeah it will. My old man's '90 Mark VII ripped the tires easily. At least IMO. I was 17-18 at the time and did it a few times he passed the keys to me. I don't remember it roasting tires off the line but it did superb brake stands.

Comment

My parents have an 87 Tbird with the Lopo and 2.73 trac lok. If you go more than half throttle in the wet, the back end breaks loose and gets sideways. Dangerous really. Dry will spin both tires if you floor it from a stop.
                  Meanwhile I can stand on the 88 in the wet and it just digs in and goes. used to do a brake stand burn out but I tried in the wet the other day and it just got up on the torque converter and sat there. New rear wheel cylinders works too well.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

What you need Tiggie is line-loc

Comment

Fox body cars have a fairly poor weight balance. They roast the tires (and lose traction in the rain) because they don't have a lot of weight over the tires. Put a dead stock HO in a panther with standard lopo gearing, and you're not going to be torching tires like mad, especially if you fit it with a working traction lock unit. The stock engine actually stands a better chance of lighting the tires up than an HO would. The lopo has a pretty good amount of off-idle power, it just doesn't breathe for shit and it runs out of steam pretty rapidly.

Comment

Big steam???

I've got me 3.27 cogs. Guess I should look at a torque curve for an HO before wasting money on one. Eh, I keep saying that the LoPo runs so well that the penny pincher within me can't justify the expense. Would be one thing if the engine was dead.

Comment

Working...
                        X