dually Ranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dually Ranger

Nice job on the DRW fenders, and lots and lots of fail elsewhere... The stacks in particular are nothing short of impressive, especially behind a 2.9 V6 engine
    Attached Files
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Are those SN95.2 bucket seats? Ewwwww. And yeah those stacks look extremely stupid. Literally looks like industrial size HVAC stuff spray painted and just kinda thrown on there. What a joke.
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

What's up with the track width on the front? Is that just the wheel offset?

Knowing personally how small a ranger bed is, that one is pretty useless inside now.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I like it. Looks cool. Nothings practical about it.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Seats are described as "new" but no mention what their original application was. Thing also has diamond-plate for headliner apparently...

Stacks could be worse, I've seen a Dodge (of course!) with 8" stove pipe for stacks - literally stove pipe material from like the Homeless Despot, elbows and all.

Front track width, sure looks like stupid-offset wheels, yes. What I find more interesting is how the rear axle was set up, but ofc the ad mentioned nothing about that.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Can't stand the stacks, hate hate hate hate 'em. Big goddamn semi trucks don't have stacks that big. One fad I can't wait to see go away. And because of it owning any diesel truck I liked as a teen (like the ugly cummins powered Dodges) is now a pipe dream. Well, I've given up on that entirely... 2.9 so probably has or will have cracked heads and/or coolant ingestion problems. Truck is missing a giant set of blue balls. Of course, fitted with dumb shift handle too.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Is it still a 2.9 or did someone put a less wimpy motor in there? Stacks are retarded, sure, but it would be a lot cooler with say a 4BT Cummins in it, or at least a 5.0 swap. I do think the big stacks are stupid though. Only thing it has going for it is you can immediately ID who is going to be driving like a douchebag.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah still has the V6 gasser, 5-speed whatever behind it - 4BT was my first thought as well, but that dude obviously prioritized elsewhere. Agreed on the type of person driving it, it just screams "mini-brodozer", lol

Stacks on anything that is not a fullsize dually truck are retarded. Stacks over 4" on anything that is a fullsize dually are retarded as well. Single short (below cab roof level even) stack kinda in the middle is retarded on anything, regardless of vehicle size.

And yes diesel is the new rice, if you want a cheap one you gotta get one outta Cali, but it ain't gonna be no Cummins - reason being the 12-valve and the 24-valve are the last all-mechanical diesels that can make good power on a relatively low budget and swap pretty easy into just about any chassis, so people buy them up to install in '70s and older trucks and '90s-'00s gas big block jobs and to repalce other less powerful diesels like the IDIs (in both GM and Ford flavor). If you're not gonna drive like a douche or try moving the whole house loaded on a trailer get yourself a '85-up Ford IDI, or a GM 6.2 halfton - the Ford will pull harder and the GM will be stupid-good on fuel. Like I said, cheap in Cali, stupid-priced anywhere else. I'm gonna be asking 10k for mine if I ever go to selling it, and I'll likely get pretty close to that.

Comment

I wouldn't mind an 80s Dodge Ramcharger with a Cummins swap. I like the 80s and early 90s boxy Dodge trucks, which I know sell for retarded money now. I don't think they ever put that engine in the Ramcharger though.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No Cummins in Ramchargers indeed, I think back in the 70s there was a Nissan option tho, but it wasn't popular so it faded away quick. And yes that body style of Dodge trucks are kinda cool, I'm partial to the early-'80s and older trucks tho, mostly cause of the dash layout (and they got stacked headlights in some model years too). I do think a 4BT would be more appropriate engine for a Ramcharger than the 6BT, hell there are people using them 4-bangers in fullsize dually flatbed trucks even - when you got solid reliable 400+ torque who cares how "undersized" the engine producing it is

Comment

yeah I don't really care about the "blow black smoke" thing. I'd just want it useful as a tow vehicle and able to merge and drive at highway speeds without risk of being flattened. The stock 318 they came with was anemic to say the least. I think it was somewhere in the 140 hp range, probably 250-300 ft-lb of torque at best. A friend of mine had an 84, it was painfully slow and lousy on fuel to boot. The 6BT might be required just to fill that massive engine bay though, and inline 6 engines are smoother as well.

Comment

The main issue is the engine weight - the 6BT is a heavy beast, and thus not very D44-friendly. Course if one is doing the 1-ton axle swap at the same time, which I think should be the way to do it, then no worries. And yeah, screw that "rolling coal" bull, it never quite made sense to me - it's a waste of money and fuel, it's bad for the birds and the bees (hey I like honey and waking up to feathered beasts chirping in the nearest tree), and it's really quite asinine towards everyone else on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          yeah I don't really care about the "blow black smoke" thing. I'd just want it useful as a tow vehicle and able to merge and drive at highway speeds without risk of being flattened...
                          This. I have always liked inline engines and when I was a teen a friend bought a first gen cummins boxy dodge D250. I started to like it. But now due to the stigma and of course over inflated price I no longer eye them. Kinda like how I used to like General Motors boxes up until the stigma with them. Although they've basically chewed up all the non modified ones and have started to migrate to Fords and later Chevys, much to my dismay as well. Well, financial dismay that is. What was once a cheap car nobody gave two shits about is now overpriced crap due to fads. Meh.

Comment

Derek, fads for the 6BT Cummins like the one in your friend's D250 have actually been on the decline, as to get stupid-big power out of it you have to do actual mechanical work and that costs both time and money and the chance of fucking it up is also quite real. The flat-billers with the "I'd rather be cummin than strokin" decals on the rear glass have instead been steadily migrating towards he newer stuff, where close to 1000 lbs-ft is damn near just a push of a button away - also helps that said engines come installed in trucks with transmissions that can for the most part handle said ridiculous power, as opposed to anything that was factory-installed behind a 6BT having some kind of weakness that spelled doom for it if the engine was tweaked and then put to proper work.

Your main competition nowadays comes in the form of folks looking to swap a diesel into vehicles that didn't come with one from the factory, it's just a great choice for an application where you want reliable and easy and fairly cheap to maintain an fix while still providing decent power and torque. Just about anyone looking to diesel a 70s or older truck will be on the prowl for a 6BT, and those people often have deep pockets (or at the very least deeper than the rest of us) and we all know cash is king when it comes to stuff like that. So you can keep looking for an older Cummins without worrying about the stigma, at this point you'd be considered just one of the "car-crazy" folks, or in more extreme cases an undercover redneck - both of which are way better than a flat-biller, lol.

Or you can look into the DT360 or the DT466 from International, both are 6-inline diesels that have proven themselves in agricultural and industrial applications, just not as popular among the regular brodozer crowd cause they're not a simple drop-in affair.

Comment

Flat-biller, LoL! Definitely rather be car crazy or undercover redneck.

Didn't know that about the Cummins. Been watching roadkill and it seems they're the new hotness all of a sudden. Just like you mentioned, Tony put one in an older Dodge truck and then they put one in a Cadillac Brougham. Seems to make decent power they just change a key??? if that's what it's called but I really think there's more to it. I just liked them in stock form but this is what I see around here:
                              http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5847563096.html
                              http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5847485330.html (Brodozer pipe he just had to include a picture of)
                              http://thumb.craigslist.org/cto/5847207079.html (This truck minus the color and wheels is exactly what my buddy got some 13-14 years ago. Think he paid $2,800-$3,500 for his)

Comment

Working...
                              X