Led headlight conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
    If you switch to LED the load off the switch part of the equation becomes way less important. I have no real idea if larger wires would make any noticeable difference to LED output.
    LEDs would draw about 25% IIRC. Would definitely lighten the load for sure. It is definitely something to think about.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The nice thing about the relays is it would allow you to fuse the low and high beam circuits independent from one another. Fire hazard removal is also nice, obviously. Running the fatter wires, idk if that's actually worth all the work. My junk is at quad 100W highs via 12awg crossover at the rad support with factory Panther pigtails (14awg I think they are) and it seems to work good enough to not make me motivated enough to 12awg the pigtails as well, even tho I do have the proper high-wattage terminals and ceramic connectors in a box somewhere...
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
        I'm sure my lights are not aimed properly, when I eventually get some time I'll have swing by if you're willing to give me a hand, Derek.
        I think a proper aim alignment would help in my case more than any other upgrade. For the OP it could be worth making sure the headlights are aimed properly, then do a relay mod (will probably need it if upgrading anyway) before upgrading to LEDs.
        Any time dude. Just let me know when you get a chance and we'll fix you up. I don't have the Hoppy thing I just eye-ball it. Took me some time to get my car right but now that it is we can use that as a template. Factory aim is terrible, must be factory anyway as both my car and Ashley's had the same thing going on; drivers side canted to the middle of the road, passenger aimed almost dead ahead & only slightly higher than driver's side. Factory lights are also terrible. You think I'd have replaced Ashley's already but I haven't. Every time I drive her car I'm reminded just how bad they are.. So I recommend grabbing four (at least grab the lo-beams) of the Sylvania Extra visions before you come out so we can do it properly. I had to hit two stores to get 'em all but was worth it. Plus they're glass and wont yellow out like the chincy plastic factory stuff.

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
        I'm doing 3g pretty soon but what is this relay mod everyone speaks of? And do I need it? I scarcely ever drive the car, much less at night, and generally not very far. I'm also electric-retarded, I hate wires. The 3g swap is going to kick my ass and I've read over the thread about 1000 times. It really isn't difficult but my brain does a cache dump on things it doesn't like so i'll literally have to have the thread open whilst i'm doing this.
        Hahaha, my mind does this same dump. But, I did the swap and so I know you can do it. Must've bothered Vic with at least 50 questions but seeing his install helped me with mine, as well as the thread and help from the fine folks here. Can send you pics of mine too. Once you do it you will never want to drive a box with a 2G again.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by pipes1 View Post
          I've been looking to get a conversion over to led headlights and was wondering if anyone has had success with a certain product. I've seen lots online but they're expensive and seem to be generic for all cars. In addition I am trying to find one with the housing included, as mine are essentially opaque. If anyone has tried or knows a good product or bend to use let me know! Thanks
          Since you don't list what vehicle this is for and judging by your post history I am assuming this is for 2001 GMQ. HID projector retrofit would be your best bet. There are kits on the market which make the install pretty straight forward. ie. Morimoto H1s.

Comment

Working...
          X