My 2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX

So i needed to find another vehicle for the winter as my buick's engine seized(oil pump stopped making pressure, no idiot lights came on my dad said), so been on the hunt for another panther came across this gem at a used car lot for $500. It is a 2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX loaded with every option besides heated mirrors and a sunroof. Car has 240,000 miles but runs decently, trans has a odd issue where if put into Overdrive it will shift into overdrive around 30mph which i think is to early and then neutral out around 45mph, if i turn off overdrive car shifts fine with 3 gears and still gets decent gas mileage. i have plans for this car down the road as i fell in love with my first whale panther. Her name is Valerie.

Click image for larger version

Name:	14681724_657024774459862_3892340679019927952_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1303646Click image for larger version

Name:	14708232_657024721126534_5672044738337534898_n.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1303647Click image for larger version

Name:	14720367_657024724459867_5968115090385606445_n.jpg
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1303648Click image for larger version

Name:	14725554_657024694459870_3328898400365829447_n.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1303649Click image for larger version

Name:	14732373_657024631126543_5204596003082214807_n.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1303650Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1586.JPG
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1303651

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Sounds like you're getting torque converter lockup in 3 at 30 mph, and the OD band is smoked which is why it neutrals at 45.

For 500 bucks you done real good. Find a low mileage junkyard trans and throw it together.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cool. Nice find Matt. Good luck with it.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Sounds like you're getting torque converter lockup in 3 at 30 mph, and the OD band is smoked which is why it neutrals at 45.

For 500 bucks you done real good. Find a low mileage junkyard trans and throw it together.
        I plan to get another trans and another motor, this motor has the common issue 4.6 SOHC motors have the dreaded timing chain guides, there going rattles alot, i would replace it with the full timing kit but it cost $250 on rockauto for it, instead of that i can get a Mark VIII 32V 4.6 swap for that kind of money. There is a 97 mark viii in my local yard im tempted to yank its engine along with its ECM and engine harness. I have sourced already a Marauder Intake for $75. But since the car runs i will just get this new engine all set up until im ready to swap it over.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

$500 looks like a deal. On a car lot! I guess they were going to auction it so $500 is a good deal for them too.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by MattsLincoln View Post
            I plan to get another trans and another motor, this motor has the common issue 4.6 SOHC motors have the dreaded timing chain guides, there going rattles alot, i would replace it with the full timing kit but it cost $250 on rockauto for it, instead of that i can get a Mark VIII 32V 4.6 swap for that kind of money. There is a 97 mark viii in my local yard im tempted to yank its engine along with its ECM and engine harness. I have sourced already a Marauder Intake for $75. But since the car runs i will just get this new engine all set up until im ready to swap it over.
            The Marauder intake won't work with the Mark VIII motor. B heads vs C heads. However, a steal for 500 bucks!
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

So unfortunately the engine blew up last week on I476 heading to johns house(1 hour away from my house, oil pressure light came on and lots of chattering seized the engine, so now i will be swapping the engine over the winter. Donor vehicle will be a 2009 Ford Crown Victoria P71 Engine, mileage unknown(speedo was missing), but is intact and looks by far the cleanest 4.6 i have come across. Cranks spins decently on it and it has compression, it was last on the road in 2014. i suspect the engine to be ok as the car was in a front end crash which is why it went to the junkyard. stay tuned.

Comment

I thought all the timing chain guide issues were over and done with by '04 (iirc '03 should be last bad years). Anyway, great find, hope the engine swap goes well and you get many years of service out of her. Just remember: NO SPINNING TIRES IN THE FUCKING GRAVEL.*

*Unless it's your property, your gravel, and no one is anywhere behind you, also, "you'll chip your fenders, kid"
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Time for an update. The new engine was put it January 22, 2017, Putting in a 03+ 4.6 is much easier than a 5.0 302, went in less than a day, car runs beautifully. here are pics i took during the process. Shortly after the car was road i went to the junkyard with 86VickyLX and scored 3 2005-2009 Mustang V6 Rims, put them on the car looks aggressive. 4th wheel is on its way from ebay and will be put on at the end of the week.

Attached Files

Comment

more pics

Attached Files

Comment

more pics

Attached Files

Comment

even more pics

Attached Files

Comment

and the car in its current state

Attached Files

Comment

Lookin good there Matt.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Those wheels look really good on there.

Wondering what caused the carnage with the rods. Did a rod bolt snap?
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X