Opinions Needed: What is the best Panther year and why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions Needed: What is the best Panther year and why

In your opinion, what is the best Panther year and why? What makes you like it best? What does it have better than other years?

I'm really looking for reliability / lack of problems first and foremost, but would like to know what everyone thinks.

What about 1994 ? Didn't have the plastic intake manifold. Still had the drain plug in the torque converter. Already changed over to R134A refrigerant for the a/c.

How about 1989 ? Last year for manual crank windows in the Vic. Bumpers were still chrome plated steel. A lot less plastic overall.

I am trying to make a decision for the long term and there are various year choices available at the moment.

Tough decision.
    David
    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
    14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

My personal favorite would be an 88-89 grand Marquis. They had the newer box body, but still the beautiful old gauge cluster. They had fuel injection by then as well.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I remember back in 1989 seeing a slightly used 89 Grand Marquis on a lot and it was light pastel lemon or cream or whatever they called it on the outside and deep royal purple cloth on the inside. That was a mighty nice color combination. Yes, I did like that instrument cluster too. My old girlfriend's mother bought a new 1988 Grand Marquis LS right off of the car carrier.
      David

Comment

I'll break down my preferences by generations.

Boxes (1979-1987):
        1987 Grand Marquis. Last year of the "boxy-box" styling, and IMO the best design of the Grand Marquis for the Boxes. Has multiport fuel injection so you're not messing around with a carburetor or throttle body fuel injection. Turn the key and go. I also find the dash to be nicer than that of the '88-'89 models, even though they share the same layout. I think it has something to do with the font used on the speedometer.

Boxes (1988-1991):
        1991 LTD Crown Victoria. I've always liked the lines of the '88-'91 LTD Crown Victorias a bit more than the Grand Marquises of the same body style. I namely say the 1991 models since you have the newer style dash and the addition of a driver's side airbag.

Aeros (1992-1994):
        1992 Crown Victoria. I prefer the grilleless styling as seen on the '92s. I would shoot for a '92.5 model so you don't wind up with an AOD and bastard block 4.6. There's a bit more you can do tuning wise with a AOD-E and a lot more mods seem to be supported on those models.

Aeros (1995-1997):
        1996 Grand Marquis. For Aeros, this is probably best year for finding nice options and interior appointments before decontenting began. Some of it was little things, like heated mirrors and illuminated door panels. My '97 doesn't have those features. The intake was redesigned, and most that you'll find have already had the all plastic unit replaced with one that has the aluminum coolant crossover. These 4.6 cars are less prone to burning oil. This was also the last year you could get a towing package Panther.

Whales (1998-2002):
        1998 Crown Victoria. The early Whale Crown Victorias have always looked the nicest and most complete in terms of styling before decontenting struck them and began stripping away basic things, like bumper trim and body colored mirror caps. You could still get them well optioned and look very nice in HPP dress.

Whales (2003-2011):
        2006 Grand Marquis. I always liked the final face lifted models of the Grand Marquis. The styling was clean and the nose looked a bit nicer compared to the '03-'05 models. I could probably live with drive-by-wire. If you're lucky you can find some that came out with some decent options that weren't often seen on earlier models, like heated seats.

Now Town Cars are bit of a different grouping for me.

Boxes (1980-1989):
        1984 Town Car. Last year for the wrap around bumpers before they got tucked in with the body work. I've always enjoyed the classic lines of the early Town Car and just quite don't enjoy the styling of the '85-'89 models as much.

Aeros (1990-1997):
        1990 and 1994. I have always liked the styling of the early Aero Town Cars compared to the later ones. I've never liked the headlights on the '95-'97 models and those felt like they lost some appeal. I find the 1990 interesting as comes dressed in a new body but powered by the 302. I also say 1994 for the rest as you get the 4.6 and it happens to be the newest of that particular style. I've also found the interiors to just be perfect given the car's styling.

Whales (1998-2011):
        2004. I was never much a fan of the style given to the '98-'02 Town Cars as they just look bulbous. The restyle in '03 made them much more appealing and in '04 you still had the mechanical throttle versus drive by wire. The later models also came well appointed and featured many premium options, like reverse sensors and HID headlamps amongst other things.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The 1992 Crown Vic P75 Touring Sedans are nice....hard to find though.
          David

Comment

86. No stupid TV cable design, proper multiport EFI, and bumpers that actually fit the car. Never been a fan of the calf catchers, they look like someone screwed up the measurements.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

86 was the first for the roller block ?
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

86 or 87 for the box panthers.
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I once was bored and looked at the lightest mileage cars on eBay. Aero and early whale Lincoln TC's were the most common with 350-500k on the odometer. So if you're looking for reliability, there you go. Of course the CV and GM of similar years would be the same powertrain.

If I could have any Panther, it would be a 86-87 Colony Park. Stone cold reliable 5.0L SEFI and still original box body.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

90-91.

I may be slightly biased though
                    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I'd say '90 town car. Clean new aero body style, 5.0 sefi motor. Best of both worlds.

Or '90-'91 CV or GM really. I like the updated dash and especially the modern multi-function switch, although the earlier controls are a bit "classier" looking. Fuel pump easier to change and probably a few other things. Especially in California cars, they had Mass-air injection too, making them more mod-friendly without requiring tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by fordnmerc View Post
                        What about 1994 ? Didn't have the plastic intake manifold. Still had the drain plug in the torque converter. Already changed over to R134A refrigerant for the a/c.
                        I like my '94 Crown Vic. It had some issues because it wasn't driven for 3 years. Wear and tear items have been replaced and the car is fine now. The very 1st Panther I ever owned was a '92 Crown Vic LX. The only time that car let me down, was when the fuel pump died an hour away from home. I scrapped it after 5 years of service because of severe rust issues. I didn't know the benefits of undercoating back then...
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I like my 1990 CV because it a more comfortable car to drive and the steering is still tight after 26 years and the new style dash board.

Comment

I like the 89 TC. The styling refinements through the years, seemed to improved the car. I like the 89 so much that we have two. Mechanically excellent. The 90 CV has been an excellent car. Mine is the police model. Nice firm ride, nice styling. I used a 91 at work for a few years. I loved that car ! The 96 CVPI to me has excellent styling both inside and outside. Mechanically mine is excellent. The 83 MGM 2 door has great styling common to the 2 door boxes. Interior styling and comfort is excellent. Mechanically they are strong and reliable. The 2003 and newer Towncars are on my favorite list. I have had a couple. Mechanically good, Ride and comfort very good. Good looking and roomy. Too bad that at least around here, only some old people like them. They end up as taxis.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                              I'd say '90 town car. Clean new aero body style, 5.0 sefi motor. Best of both worlds.

Or '90-'91 CV or GM really. I like the updated dash and especially the modern multi-function switch, although the earlier controls are a bit "classier" looking. Fuel pump easier to change and probably a few other things. Especially in California cars, they had Mass-air injection too, making them more mod-friendly without requiring tuning.
                              What this guy said plus this crap:

I've found that the last years of any particular style you're fond of are what you want to go for.

So for Box TC's, Id say 89 is the best year for all the little nuances like electrical connectors and underhood mess, even though they're still very similar to 1988. But 1988 was the best year aesthetically for box Town Cars. (No weird taillight panel or ugly Lincoln logo on decklid or orange turnsignal lenses. If I had the time I'd just buy an '89 and swap the appearance stuff from an 88 over to it.

I like '87 boxes due to last year for boxy styling. But, would say that '91 would be the year you want. Just look at pics of the underhood of an '87 vs '91...
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X