Memory Lane....is populated by Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    I care not for what other people see when they look at my stuff, its mine after all. That 87 box CV looked great. Looks to have the optional roof too, ive never seen one with it.
    It was loaded to the gills minus tow package. Mostly beat and dirty. The 2G melted down the day the new owner picked it up.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I know the feeling. The first thing my wife said when she saw my new ride was "it's hideous". They'll never get it.

My panther history is limited. First experience with one was when my parents purchased a used 1991 CV LX around 2002 to replace the 1989 Aerostar that I totaled. I don't think we have any pictures of that car. It needed a tranny rebuild and a valve job, but was a great driver. My dad traded that car in on a new 2002 Mustang GT.

Fast forward 12 years, and my dad now owns a 2000 CVPI that was given to him (yes, free) by my brother and sister-in-law. They had been using it and had just acquired a new car for her to drive (think it was a Corrola). They had no use for the CVPI and just gave it to my dad. It wasn't very well taken care of, but it was a solid start. He's put about $4,000 into it since then and it's a super reliable car that they drive everywhere. Next plans he has for it are some different wheels (he's tired of the steelies) and replacement of the damaged bumpers and trunk lid to be followed by a new paint job.

My family and I were still living in Germany when he acquired it; I got to drive it while we were visiting last summer. That drive was what gave me the panther bug. It reminded me that the 1991 we owned was a great car; I just didn't appreciate it at the time. Now I have my 1990 GM and the rest is history.
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Ah, the panther story...

I started this in 2001 when I bought an '85 Vic LX. I got it for cheap, after my mom saw it at the local dealership. I drove the piss out of it, and learned my way around panthers a bit. It was two tone gray, with a really nice maroon interior. Sold it.

Some friends of mine found a 1984 Vic wagon that we traded some junk for, and had the crazy idea to make a ranchero/party hauler out of it. Turns out, when we cut that much off the car, the rustiness made it fold in half. Scrapped.

I then scored a 1983 Grand Marquis 2dr, the infamous original GMGT. I paid 100 bucks for it, but the title was lost. Did more panther experimentation on it (88-up nose, etc). It ended up being pretty rotten, and while I was slowly putting it back together, I moved away from home in PA, and it eventually fell to the scrapper.

I entered the military, and one day in 2004 when I was walking around the "lemon lot" on base I spyed a dark blue 1984 Grand Marquis 2dr. I was in love, I had to have it. Two weeks of eating ramen and 800 bucks later, it was mine! I daily drove/modded it for 2 years prior to me getting sent overseas. I did exhaust and handling mods, and eventually converted the car to carb from CFI and did the 88-up nose swap. I sold it to Julian (marquisman) who did an outstanding restoration on the car and still owns it.

I bought an 86 Vic wagon from Boxman for a little to nothing, and never got the chance to drove it. It stayed at skippyville primarily. Was a cool ride, very base model.

I traded a 95 Tbird I had to Scott for his 1987 Vic 2dr, aka "Project 79". I proceeded to spend several thousands to make it the ultimate panther. Scott and several others did outstanding work, but I think the car was cursed. It was my "little bastard". Sold to Nate (P72Ford), still out there somewhere.

I bought my first "new car" late in 2009. It was a 2009 Grand Marquis LS, and I loved it. The only mod I did was a pull set of Powerslot rotors/Hawk HPS pads/17" mustang wheels. Was a beautiful car, I shouldn't have parted with it. I just got bored with driving it. I traded it in, 2011.

Fast forward to my current ride, my 1983 Grand Marquis 2dr. It sat under my carport for over a year non-operable due to the transmission being toast. Adam and I dragged it back from San Antonio for 300 bucks back in 2015. So far, it has a Tremec TKO conversion, dual exhaust, and some cleanup here and there. Many plans are in place/in the works!

Whew!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I've only ever owned one, and I still have it. Been 12 years (JFC, I've owned this car more than a decade?!) of fighting with trying to make it decent. Every time I get some progress, something happens to set it back though. Despite the fact that it has consumed large amounts of money, blood, and time, I still somehow enjoy driving it. The first time I drove the car it put a smile on my face, and it still does despite being a very different car now than it was when I got it. I honestly can't explain why I even like it, but I do.
          Last edited by gadget73; 11-27-2016, 12:05 PM.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X