No announcement yet.

Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Score. I went back to Pick-n-Pull Dallas South today to get the traction lock carrier from the '95 Mustang GT that was there. I pulled the spindles as well. I'll either keep them for a future project or clean them up and eBay them.

I also managed to get two 16" steelies, one of which has a good tire on it. It's already taken up residence as the new spare since the 15" spare that was in there was bald in places and had at least two patches. One of the four wheels my dad gifted me had been bent and hammered back into something resembling a round shape. I now have a full set of five wheels for the big brake swap.

Finally, I grabbed the battery tray from the '89 GM at the yard since my car's original is a rusty, crusty mess. I didn't take the trunk lid since it really wasn't in better shape than mine. It was missing the left emblem, the paint was worse, and there were signs of rust in the same area of the seam as mine. I'll hold out for a better one.

Didn't get a picture of the wheels, but y'all know what 16" steelies look like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1291.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1284246 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1292.jpg
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1284247
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Good deal on the traction lock. They're getting harder to find now. I still wish I'd bought one when they were still being made. At one point a brand new one was like 120 bucks. If only I'd known it was that cheap because they were on clearance.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I finished tearing down the engine I bought today. Found a bent #1 connecting rod, a scuff on the bottom of the piston, and a whole lotta copper. Thankfully, no bearings were spun. The bores look pretty smooth. Hardly any cross hatch. I wouldn't be surprised if it needs to be bored. There was some copper visible on the #5 main cap, which was the worst of the mains. Looks like a solid foundation. Next step is to find a good local shop to do the work.

I also found out that Ford used the same connecting rods in late model blocks as the original 302 introduced in '68. If it ain't broke...

Name:	DSC_1295.jpg
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1284250 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1297.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1284249 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1298.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1284251 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1299.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1284252 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1300.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1284253
          —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Good deal on the traction lock. They're getting harder to find now. I still wish I'd bought one when they were still being made. At one point a brand new one was like 120 bucks. If only I'd known it was that cheap because they were on clearance.
            Pick-n-Pull only charged $70 for it. One of the places I got a quote for a gear swap from said they had a used one they'd throw in for $250. I think I came out on top of this one. Just need to get my hands on a carbon clutch kit.
            —John

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
              Pick-n-Pull only charged $70 for it. One of the places I got a quote for a gear swap from said they had a used one they'd throw in for $250. I think I came out on top of this one. Just need to get my hands on a carbon clutch kit.
              Was the engine still there from the mustang

Comment

I think the rod caps have an early 70s number, unless thats the main caps I'm thinking of. Rods are still a C8. The Exploder engines I think did have some different part numbers, but I can't honestly recall if its caps or rods that changed, or what changed about them. Its an old motor though, the design isn't changed all that much from the original 260.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                  Was the engine still there from the mustang
                  Yep. All there still. Intake to pan.
                  —John

Comment

Going to be tackling a few smaller projects on the Mercury in the next couple of weeks. Started today with installing the battery tray I got from Dallas South Pull-a-Part. Gave the parts a quick paint job first and then went to town.

The battery cable bolts had seen better days. I put some new ones in that'll do fine until I build new cables for a 3g swap.

Name:	IMG_5357.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1284689 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5358.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1284690

The old parts looked like a battery exploded.

Name:	IMG_5359.jpg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1284691 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5360.jpg
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1284692 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5361.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1284693

Probably should have just painted it black. Whatever.

Name:	IMG_5362.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1284694 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5364.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1284695 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5365.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1284696

Leftovers.

Name:	IMG_5366.jpg
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	1284697

Next up will be the junkyard taillights I need to rebuild. Probably clean up my Explorer intake as well as the engine that's on the stand.
                    —John

Comment

would be worth spraying some rust converter down on the body and frame under that to at least stop the advance of rust.

Comment

So I was cleaning up the remains of the burned out bushings on my 92-95 upper control arms and noticed some damage to one of the shells. Should I get a set of cheap bushings and replace these shells?

—John

Comment

It ain’t pretty, but unless it interferes or could cause damage with installing your new bushings, I’d leave them alone.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

File the burrs off and don't worry about it.

Comment

I tried to install the dipstick and tube that I pulled from a '95 Mustang to replace the current (Fox) one in my Cobra. Now I remember why my original tube bracket was broken. No way that tube fits correctly around and through the headers. I was running a Ford Motorsport chrome dipstick tube for a Fox Mustang. It worked great except that the SN-95 specific accessory brackets make it so that the A/C compressor and hoses make it very difficult to remove the dipstick. So I got the bright idea to swap dipsticks between the Mercury and the Cobra.

The Mercury's tube would budge, so I brought out the MAP gas torch and it finally saw the light. The Fox tube is a perfect fit since the factory air box is no longer in the way. I won't be able to bolt down the bracket until I install the headers, though.

The Mercury's dipstick tube will work fine in the Cobra, but I'll have to lengthen the bracket before I can bolt it down. The routing is perfect, though.

—John

Comment

Name:	shinywinter.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1284962

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X