PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elias View Post
    Would the 98-02 fans work
    This would be ideal. My auto-electric buddy says that's what i should go with if possible, otherwise he doesn't trust e-fans. I need to dig out my big radiator and see if these derale's will fit. If not i'll be examining other options.

My 93 is using the later version of the 98-02 fans (single coil fan with resistor for low speed). Works just like the contour fan would. The radiator is the same mounts as the boxes, so it should work fine. I mounted it to a F150 dual core radiator, but the real trick is using the whale relays as well because 70A relays for a 50A fused line for 40A peak power draw and 27A running on high. I would avoid the dual coil fan as if the relays latch and both turn on, the fan coil fries. They are easy to ID as the oval in-line 3 wire conncetor is on the motor itself instead of on a round 3-wire connector on the shroud.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

If I were to pull these parts from a junkyard car, what all would I need to pull to include the relays/harness?
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - getting her back in shape (POTM March 2017)
    1995 Mustang Cobra coupe - keeping it simple
    1966 Mustang coupe - soon-to-be project: no longer buried in junk; out of the garage!

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    This would be ideal. My auto-electric buddy says that's what i should go with if possible, otherwise he doesn't trust e-fans. I need to dig out my big radiator and see if these derale's will fit. If not i'll be examining other options.
    When I went to the junkyard it looks like it will work but not sure i have the 91 towncar shroud and big rad so might be different for me

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    If I were to pull these parts from a junkyard car, what all would I need to pull to include the relays/harness?
    depending on how you control it... you'll need at least the fan to the relays part of the harness. You can use anything to control it at that point by just triggering the coils on the low and high relays. Putting an in-line sensor for tripping the speeds would work fine. There's a BMW sensor that has both temps. Also need to trigger low with the AC compressor trigger as well because we don't like blowing up the AC system. It's also good to add the high pressure cutout sensor for the AC system. I'll have to check what I put on mine later. I also don't know if the boxes have the high side sensor port... so there's that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

I did manage to find a few original Motorcraft fan clutches available on eBay and snagged one for $40. Not too shabby. Hopefully it'll last until I switch over to electric.

In other eBay news, I also got my hands on a NOS driver's door latch. I found the part number, searched it, and there just happened to be one available listed for $13. That'll get hidden away until the car gets a new paint job or whatever. Or maybe not. It'll probably work wonders for the way the driver's door closes.
    óJohn

1966 Mustang coupe - soon-to-be project: no longer buried in junk; out of the garage!

So I happened across a local guy who is liquidating his entire (extensive) collection of early-Ford parts. Among the old parts, there was a mostly complete 5.0 out of a Fox Mustang. It included the long block, accessories, flywheel, lower intake, and 19 lb. injectors. It also happened to come with a set of unknown brand 1.6:1 roller rockers. All this for the low price of $150.

Craigslist ad is here if anyone is interested in any of the parts left over (which include a set of factory Fox headers). He has an AOD that he said I could have, but I need to identify what kind of AOD it is before I think about taking it.

Tom, I seem to recall you saying that you were wanting to acquire a set of Fox 5.0 accessory brackets? Let me know if you would like these. I have all the brackets and pulleys from this engine. I have no use for them.

It's difficult to see what kind of shape the bores are in. Some crosshatch is visible, but it's faint. Wouldn't be surprised if it needs to be bored. E7 part number on the pistons, so it's probably not the forged internals.

Plan is to have this engine rebuilt, new internals if necessary, and eventually drop it in the Mercury. Its engine will then come out and will eventually be rebuilt for eventual use in the '66 coupe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1170.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	50289 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1171.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	50290 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1172.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	50291 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1174.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	50292 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1175.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	50293 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1176.jpg 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	50294 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1177.jpg 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	50295
    óJohn

Nice!!

Any yes, i would like those leftover accessory parts.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
    Nice!!

Any yes, i would like those leftover accessory parts.
    Awesome. Let's figure out how to get them to you.

I was actually wrong about the pistons. I did some searching and they are the forged pieces. They switched to hypereutectic in 1993. Hopefully I can resuse everything and get by with a re-ring. The goal is for this refresh to be as inexpensive as possible. Otherwise it will never get done.
    óJohn

TRW forged slugs? Jackpot!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Score. I went back to Pick-n-Pull Dallas South today to get the traction lock carrier from the '95 Mustang GT that was there. I pulled the spindles as well. I'll either keep them for a future project or clean them up and eBay them.

I also managed to get two 16" steelies, one of which has a good tire on it. It's already taken up residence as the new spare since the 15" spare that was in there was bald in places and had at least two patches. One of the four wheels my dad gifted me had been bent and hammered back into something resembling a round shape. I now have a full set of five wheels for the big brake swap.

Finally, I grabbed the battery tray from the '89 GM at the yard since my car's original is a rusty, crusty mess. I didn't take the trunk lid since it really wasn't in better shape than mine. It was missing the left emblem, the paint was worse, and there were signs of rust in the same area of the seam as mine. I'll hold out for a better one.

Didn't get a picture of the wheels, but y'all know what 16" steelies look like.

Name:	DSC_1291.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	50343 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1292.jpg 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	50344
    óJohn

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Good deal on the traction lock. They're getting harder to find now. I still wish I'd bought one when they were still being made. At one point a brand new one was like 120 bucks. If only I'd known it was that cheap because they were on clearance.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I finished tearing down the engine I bought today. Found a bent #1 connecting rod, a scuff on the bottom of the piston, and a whole lotta copper. Thankfully, no bearings were spun. The bores look pretty smooth. Hardly any cross hatch. I wouldn't be surprised if it needs to be bored. There was some copper visible on the #5 main cap, which was the worst of the mains. Looks like a solid foundation. Next step is to find a good local shop to do the work.

I also found out that Ford used the same connecting rods in late model blocks as the original 302 introduced in '68. If it ain't broke...

Name:	DSC_1295.jpg 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	50349 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1297.jpg 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	50348 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1298.jpg 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	50350 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1299.jpg 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	50351 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1300.jpg 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	50352
    óJohn

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Good deal on the traction lock. They're getting harder to find now. I still wish I'd bought one when they were still being made. At one point a brand new one was like 120 bucks. If only I'd known it was that cheap because they were on clearance.
    Pick-n-Pull only charged $70 for it. One of the places I got a quote for a gear swap from said they had a used one they'd throw in for $250. I think I came out on top of this one. Just need to get my hands on a carbon clutch kit.
    óJohn

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    Pick-n-Pull only charged $70 for it. One of the places I got a quote for a gear swap from said they had a used one they'd throw in for $250. I think I came out on top of this one. Just need to get my hands on a carbon clutch kit.
    Was the engine still there from the mustang

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I think the rod caps have an early 70s number, unless thats the main caps I'm thinking of. Rods are still a C8. The Exploder engines I think did have some different part numbers, but I can't honestly recall if its caps or rods that changed, or what changed about them. Its an old motor though, the design isn't changed all that much from the original 260.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by Elias View Post
    Was the engine still there from the mustang
    Yep. All there still. Intake to pan.
    óJohn

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617