X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would the 98-02 fans work

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
      This is why i'm having a fierce debate with myself over fan installation. I have the brand-new clutch that came off the wrecked car, with fan, and the one currently on the car is fairly fresh. Pretty sure i can get my stock shroud to work with the big radiator i have, but do i hassle with it? Also already purchased big dual derale fan that moves 4000cfm. Either way i suppose it's taking a chance...
      I got a nice one at the yard over the weekend. Was intended for Ashley's truck but uhh, looks like I was right in thinking it wouldn't work for it. Her truck is that weird spin off style or what have you. I dunno, now we have a spare! .......
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        I got a nice one at the yard over the weekend. Was intended for Ashley's truck but uhh, looks like I was right in thinking it wouldn't work for it. Her truck is that weird spin off style or what have you. I dunno, now we have a spare! .......
        Jack up the price and sell it to that guy who said "it looks like the same thing."
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
          Jack up the price and sell it to that guy who said "it looks like the same thing."
          Eh, I think it'll work for box/v8 stuff and I could probably use it on my Townie. That or we could take it back this Sunday & exchange it for one that'll fit. Seems to require special tools to remove her type of fan clutch properly. Anyone know the type I'm talking about? They attach to the water pump via one large nut in the center. Trouble seems to be holding the pulley still, I think that's what the special tool is for. I'd rather not buy/rent one but will if I must...
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
            Eh, I think it'll work for box/v8 stuff and I could probably use it on my Townie. That or we could take it back this Sunday & exchange it for one that'll fit. Seems to require special tools to remove her type of fan clutch properly. Anyone know the type I'm talking about? They attach to the water pump via one large nut in the center. Trouble seems to be holding the pulley still, I think that's what the special tool is for. I'd rather not buy/rent one but will if I must...
            Let me know if you don't want it, I'll buy it from you. Just throw on a couple dollars on top of your purchase price as a finders fee.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
              Would the 98-02 fans work
              This would be ideal. My auto-electric buddy says that's what i should go with if possible, otherwise he doesn't trust e-fans. I need to dig out my big radiator and see if these derale's will fit. If not i'll be examining other options.

Comment

My 93 is using the later version of the 98-02 fans (single coil fan with resistor for low speed). Works just like the contour fan would. The radiator is the same mounts as the boxes, so it should work fine. I mounted it to a F150 dual core radiator, but the real trick is using the whale relays as well because 70A relays for a 50A fused line for 40A peak power draw and 27A running on high. I would avoid the dual coil fan as if the relays latch and both turn on, the fan coil fries. They are easy to ID as the oval in-line 3 wire conncetor is on the motor itself instead of on a round 3-wire connector on the shroud.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If I were to pull these parts from a junkyard car, what all would I need to pull to include the relays/harness?
                  —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                  1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                  1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                  1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                    This would be ideal. My auto-electric buddy says that's what i should go with if possible, otherwise he doesn't trust e-fans. I need to dig out my big radiator and see if these derale's will fit. If not i'll be examining other options.
                    When I went to the junkyard it looks like it will work but not sure i have the 91 towncar shroud and big rad so might be different for me

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                      If I were to pull these parts from a junkyard car, what all would I need to pull to include the relays/harness?
                      depending on how you control it... you'll need at least the fan to the relays part of the harness. You can use anything to control it at that point by just triggering the coils on the low and high relays. Putting an in-line sensor for tripping the speeds would work fine. There's a BMW sensor that has both temps. Also need to trigger low with the AC compressor trigger as well because we don't like blowing up the AC system. It's also good to add the high pressure cutout sensor for the AC system. I'll have to check what I put on mine later. I also don't know if the boxes have the high side sensor port... so there's that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I did manage to find a few original Motorcraft fan clutches available on eBay and snagged one for $40. Not too shabby. Hopefully it'll last until I switch over to electric.

In other eBay news, I also got my hands on a NOS driver's door latch. I found the part number, searched it, and there just happened to be one available listed for $13. That'll get hidden away until the car gets a new paint job or whatever. Or maybe not. It'll probably work wonders for the way the driver's door closes.
                        —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

So I happened across a local guy who is liquidating his entire (extensive) collection of early-Ford parts. Among the old parts, there was a mostly complete 5.0 out of a Fox Mustang. It included the long block, accessories, flywheel, lower intake, and 19 lb. injectors. It also happened to come with a set of unknown brand 1.6:1 roller rockers. All this for the low price of $150.

Craigslist ad is here if anyone is interested in any of the parts left over (which include a set of factory Fox headers). He has an AOD that he said I could have, but I need to identify what kind of AOD it is before I think about taking it.

Tom, I seem to recall you saying that you were wanting to acquire a set of Fox 5.0 accessory brackets? Let me know if you would like these. I have all the brackets and pulleys from this engine. I have no use for them.

It's difficult to see what kind of shape the bores are in. Some crosshatch is visible, but it's faint. Wouldn't be surprised if it needs to be bored. E7 part number on the pistons, so it's probably not the forged internals.

Plan is to have this engine rebuilt, new internals if necessary, and eventually drop it in the Mercury. Its engine will then come out and will eventually be rebuilt for eventual use in the '66 coupe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1170.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1284206 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1171.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1284207 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1172.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1284208 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1174.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1284209 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1175.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1284210 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1176.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1284211 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1177.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1284212
                          —John

Comment

Nice!!

Any yes, i would like those leftover accessory parts.
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                              Nice!!

Any yes, i would like those leftover accessory parts.
                              Awesome. Let's figure out how to get them to you.

I was actually wrong about the pistons. I did some searching and they are the forged pieces. They switched to hypereutectic in 1993. Hopefully I can resuse everything and get by with a re-ring. The goal is for this refresh to be as inexpensive as possible. Otherwise it will never get done.
                              —John

Comment

TRW forged slugs? Jackpot!
                                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                                X