PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

I may just go with stock 225/60s. For some reason, I was under the impression that they were nearly an inch smaller in diameter compared to 215/70R15s. Turns out they’re anywhere from .2-.5” smaller. Negligible. It’ll give me a better tire selection, so I’ll go with the whale stocker size.
    óJohn

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

That’ll do. Found another place near my in-laws that had one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	730FA485-BF2A-489F-8C1F-B574FB4FC1AF.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	3.66 MB 
ID:	56202
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

there are two very slightly different styled HPP if I remember right, so make sure you have a matching set of 4 on the car. Or at least 2 sets of 2 and run them left and right. If one is an oddball, stick in in the trunk for the spare. Forget the exact difference, something about polished vs satin wheel lip I think? One of those deals where if you put them side by side you can tell, but opposite sides of the car nobody would ever know.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

This was the first time I had used the Sonnax wheel cleaner. I had used a slightly acidic cleaner (Eagle 1) on the first two wheels I bought. It did slightly mar the finish on the wheel lips, but it also got the backsides of the wheels much cleaner than the Sonnax. The Sonnax cleaner probably just isn't designed to clean heavily soiled wheels.

Unfortunately, Gadget's warning was correct. The first two wheels I bought were the polished lip-type. The other three I acquired while in Dallas are the painted-type. I'm going to have a local repair place fix the curb rash before I mount these wheels. I may see if they could possibly polish and clear coat the painted wheels as well. Otherwise, I'll just mount them on opposite sides.

I'll be daily driving my '95 Mustang over the summer to take advantage of the air conditioning. I'll be replacing the dead fuel pump and finally getting the bib brake swap done since I now have everything I need. Might also swap out the engine this fall once the pick-n-pull motor rebuild is complete.
    óJohn

Does anyone know of a good online source for stainless exhaust hanger rods?
    óJohn

I had a saved search with email alerts on eBay for quite a while for this part number. Some research a while back told me that this is the correct trunk lock kit for 1990-1991 Grand marquis. You can get aftermarket locks, but they don't include the glove box lock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8063.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	56284 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8062.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	56285
    óJohn

I have a terrible confession to make. I sold the old girl tonight.

I recently got my hands on a pristine 1985 F-150 XLT Lariat from an estate sale. The purchase was made on an agreement with the wife that the car had to go. I'm sad, but I needed a truck, and I'm very happy to have this one. I will own another one day!

óJohn

how long till you see it up for sale again?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    how long till you see it up for sale again?
    Who knows. Dude was pretty excited about it.
    óJohn

fomoco panthers !

Nice F-150 300 6 cylinder or V-8 ? I wish those pickups where available up here and not rusted out. Nice body style.

You're gonna miss the crew cab Grand Marquis!
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

THat's an awesome truck right there, I love the color combo. Is it the EFI 302 or carbureted something? I've always kind of wanted an '86 with the 302 EFI engine and a five speed.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Nice F-150 300 6 cylinder or V-8 ? I wish those pickups where available up here and not rusted out. Nice body style.
    302 V8. They’re getting tough to find down here as well. Just not because of rust. We appear to have reached that critical point where vehicles of that vintage seem to disappear from the roads en masse. It’s sad, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    You're gonna miss the crew cab Grand Marquis!
    I do miss it! For now, the truck is keeping me going! I wouldn’t have wanted anything much newer than this.

THat's an awesome truck right there, I love the color combo. Is it the EFI 302 or carbureted something? I've always kind of wanted an '86 with the 302 EFI engine and a five speed.
    It’s the EFI. First year for this truck, but only on the 302. Batch fire (meh), but plenty powerful as it stands. The only way this truck could be any better is if it were a 4x4 with a 5-speed.
    óJohn

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    ...It’s the EFI. First year for this truck, but only on the 302. Batch fire (meh), but plenty powerful as it stands. The only way this truck could be any better is if it were a 4x4 with a 5-speed.
    Weren't they all batch fire up until maybe '95 or '96? Mind posting pics? I've heard the '85's EFI set-up was physically identical to the 90's stuff. Only give away is the lack of serpentine belts. Does it have a check engine light?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Up to 93. 94 went sequential IIRC. I know the 93 I had was batch fire.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Weren't they all batch fire up until maybe '95 or '96? Mind posting pics? I've heard the '85's EFI set-up was physically identical to the 90's stuff. Only give away is the lack of serpentine belts. Does it have a check engine light?
    From what I've read, they were batch fire up until 1993 as sly noted above. The EFI Ford used on the '85 and '86 trucks was actually a self-contained setup that used an add-on harness for the the EFI parts. Other than that, differences between the these trucks and the later EFI systems are minimal. There is an "Emissions" light, but no CEL.

This is the only picture that was on the estate sale website.

The first thing I did when I got it home was remove the running boards.

This truck was garage kept and was on its second owner (I believe). The estate sale said it was a single owner truck. I'd have believed that, however, there were different names and addresses on the paperwork in the truck and the title I received. The second thing I did was dismantle the interior and give it a deep clean.

The dash pad is perfect. This truck is incredibly clean.

I switched to 1980 clear parking lamps up front. Ford seemed to like to put clear markers on vehicles at the beginning of production runs.

I also redid the toasted headliner with new material along with added LED interior lights. It's BRIGHT in there.

Lastly, some pictures of the engine bay. I'm going to convert it to a serpentine system along with the later-style air box and tube setup. I already pulled everything from the local Pick-n-Pull.

óJohn

Any reason to do the work for a serpentine conversion other than an auto tensioner? Just curious.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

I just want it. It also makes the eventual 3G swap and R134a conversion easier.
    óJohn

Those dashes are harder to find than box dashes.

I found a tach cluster in the junkyard a few years ago. Gave it to my neighbor who has an 82. The lack of the tach just kills me in these clusters. GIANT missing gauge in the middle of the dash. Supposedly it's plug n play.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Those dashes are harder to find than box dashes.

I found a tach cluster in the junkyard a few years ago. Gave it to my neighbor who has an 82. The lack of the tach just kills me in these clusters. GIANT missing gauge in the middle of the dash. Supposedly it's plug n play.
    It is at least plug and play. You just need the correct printed circuit that includes the tach circuitry and a tach. That’s on the to-do list.
    óJohn

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122