Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Weren't they all batch fire up until maybe '95 or '96? Mind posting pics? I've heard the '85's EFI set-up was physically identical to the 90's stuff. Only give away is the lack of serpentine belts. Does it have a check engine light?
    From what I've read, they were batch fire up until 1993 as sly noted above. The EFI Ford used on the '85 and '86 trucks was actually a self-contained setup that used an add-on harness for the the EFI parts. Other than that, differences between the these trucks and the later EFI systems are minimal. There is an "Emissions" light, but no CEL.

This is the only picture that was on the estate sale website.

The first thing I did when I got it home was remove the running boards.

This truck was garage kept and was on its second owner (I believe). The estate sale said it was a single owner truck. I'd have believed that, however, there were different names and addresses on the paperwork in the truck and the title I received. The second thing I did was dismantle the interior and give it a deep clean.

The dash pad is perfect. This truck is incredibly clean.

I switched to 1980 clear parking lamps up front. Ford seemed to like to put clear markers on vehicles at the beginning of production runs.

I also redid the toasted headliner with new material along with added LED interior lights. It's BRIGHT in there.

Lastly, some pictures of the engine bay. I'm going to convert it to a serpentine system along with the later-style air box and tube setup. I already pulled everything from the local Pick-n-Pull.

—John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Any reason to do the work for a serpentine conversion other than an auto tensioner? Just curious.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I just want it. It also makes the eventual 3G swap and R134a conversion easier.
        —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

Those dashes are harder to find than box dashes.

I found a tach cluster in the junkyard a few years ago. Gave it to my neighbor who has an 82. The lack of the tach just kills me in these clusters. GIANT missing gauge in the middle of the dash. Supposedly it's plug n play.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
            Those dashes are harder to find than box dashes.

I found a tach cluster in the junkyard a few years ago. Gave it to my neighbor who has an 82. The lack of the tach just kills me in these clusters. GIANT missing gauge in the middle of the dash. Supposedly it's plug n play.
            It is at least plug and play. You just need the correct printed circuit that includes the tach circuitry and a tach. That’s on the to-do list.
            —John

Comment

Working...
            X