No announcement yet.

Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! You're not wasting any time on this thing.

I finally installed my '90 TC air box, fan shroud, and washer bottle recently. I've had the fan shroud laying around for more than year. Still haven't updated my RR thread with pics yet.
    I used a washer bottle from a '92 CV (MIA on all 3 of the '90 TCs I got the fan shrouds and air boxes from) so I still have the low level indicator.

The '90 TC air box lines up with my '91 inner fender but I think the diameter of the inlet and outlet is probably smaller than the air box setup you have.

That engine bay looks a lot better with all the dust gone.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
      Nice! You're not wasting any time on this thing.

I finally installed my '90 TC air box, fan shroud, and washer bottle recently. I've had the fan shroud laying around for more than year. Still haven't updated my RR thread with pics yet.
      I used a washer bottle from a '92 CV (MIA on all 3 of the '90 TCs I got the fan shrouds and air boxes from) so I still have the low level indicator.

The '90 TC air box lines up with my '91 inner fender but I think the diameter of the inlet and outlet is probably smaller than the air box setup you have.

That engine bay looks a lot better with all the dust gone.
      Trying not to! It's not in the best of shape, so I'm looking at a lot of maintenance before I can consider it to be 100% reliable. Of course there will be some non-stock mods along the way!

Thanks for the tip on the washer reservoir. I'm pretty sure there are a few aero cars in the junkyards around here. It would be better if I could just make everything plug and play. Not to mention that the harness for the '07 washer fluid pump has a thicker gauge wire. I don't want to have to worry about pulling too much current on the existing circuit.

Would you mind measuring the outlet of your air box so I can compare with mine? If it's the same, I'll just get the earlier air box and see if I can make that work.

General question for everyone: does anyone know if the trunk lock cylinder is interchangeable between GMs and CVs? I found a place that has three complete NOS sets of ignition/door/glovebox/trunk lock cylinders, but it says they're for 1990-1991 CV. I'd really like to get them, but I would hate to not be able to use the trunk cylinder. I like to replace the lock cylinders on my older Fords; nothing beats a nice, tight ignition.
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

I should clarify that a bit.
        The '92 washer bottle that I got most likely has the same pump plug as the '07 you got. It's not plug and play, even the low level indicator plug is different. I don't think the newer stuff has the low fluid indicator; that was my main reason for going with the older tank. I also noticed the '92 wiring was slightly fatter gauge, but the wiring was pretty simple since the wire colors were the same between '91 and '92 (BK, BK/W, and PK/Y IIRC, with BK/W shared between pump and sensor, PK/Y to sensor, and BK to pump). Also, I'm not sure if you've done any test fitting, but I only have the rear most bolt hole bolted in on the washer bottle. Considering that the washer has always had issues since I got the car, I'm just excited that the thing works consistently now.

I should have a chance later to get some measurements, if I can find something to measure with. Things don't seem to stay where I put them...

Trunk lock cylinder, not sure.
        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Ah, I see. It would still be nice to have the low-level indicator as you said.

I've only barely test fit the bottle in the engine compartment. It was difficult to see which bolt hole should be used, so I opted to just finish the air box install and worry about the washer reservoir later. It was already getting dark by this time. Thanks in advance for measuring the air box outlet for me.

I'm betting the trunk lock will interchange. The only difference is probably whatever cable mechanism is in place to actuate the latch since they're mounted in different locations.
          —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

Ive got the same air box set up on my car with a 90/91 inner fender installed and have no issues. Weirdness.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The narrowest point in the '90 TC air box inlet and outlet is about 1 3/4 inches. I'm pretty sure the later box you have has larger inlet and outlet, it sure looks like it in the picture.

Pic of the '90 TC stuff:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20161201_144035.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1280984
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I wonder if the top of the '07 air box will fit the bottom of the '90 TC air box.
                —John

Comment

hm, I'm running an early 90s box on an early 90s fender and it fits up OK. Couldn't tell you specifically what it is, but probably 91-92. Much later and the inner fenders got stupid looking to allow better access to the alignment points. Airbox might be 94ish.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                    I wonder if the top of the '07 air box will fit the bottom of the '90 TC air box.
                    Nope... the slots changed to the top part instead of the bottom, so that won't work. Thought about that for half a second when I was screwing with such shenanigans on the Mark VI when I had it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Here's what my air box installation looks like. I have it bolted to the splash shield. The front mount doesn't reach the stud on the header support. Snapped a couple of the engine bay with better light than yesterday.

Name:	DSC_0060.jpg
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1280985Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0061.jpg
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1280986Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0063.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1280987Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0064.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1280988

Regarding the aforementioned battery hold down bracket, I figured out from another thread on this forum that I probably needed the other bracket. Found one on nospartsltd. The hold down bolt is a little too long, though. I'll look into getting a shorter one next week.

Name:	DSC_0057.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1280989Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0059.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1280991
                      Attached Files
                      —John

Comment

Weird, I had an '04 p71 airbox in my other '90 and I think it was the same size. Now i'll have to look. In my case though, I cut off the part of the airbox outlet where the slot for the Maf was to shorten it and accommodate my C&L MAF. Worked out perfectly although I had to trim the mustang zip tube a bit. Once I get it all back on the new car i'll take some pics.

Comment

I actually do have an intake tube and air box I snagged off of a Mark VII. Same as goes on the Mustang. I should try that and see how it fits. Not sure if the air box side of the tube would be too small for the PI air box.

I also found a Ford replacement part for the window regulator roller/slider that's missing/broken on my driver's door (these). Some sites say it fits our cars, others don't. I purchased some; it's worth a shot!
                          Attached Files
                          —John

Comment

A little more progress today. The roller service parts came in; the driver's window/regulator is put back together. It still doesn't work; I'm thinking the motor may be shot. All you get is a *thunk* and a fraction of movement with the switch. Pictures.

Drilled out the old stud: Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0065.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1281003 All put together: Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0070.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1281004

The Motorcraft solenoid I ordered on 22 November finally arrived today. It cranks with the key now.

No more red wire!

Name:	DSC_0066.jpg
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1281005Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0067.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1281006

I ordered an intake manifold gasket set and a new PCV grommet/connector/valve which all arrived this week. I'd like to replace the gaskets/PCV tomorrow, but I still need to go buy some thread sealer and a few odds and ends before I want to dig into it. She's coming along.
                            —John

Comment

Did you get the PCV filter?
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yes. Forgot to mention that.
                                —John

Comment

Working...
                                X