No announcement yet.

Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may just go with stock 225/60s. For some reason, I was under the impression that they were nearly an inch smaller in diameter compared to 215/70R15s. Turns out they’re anywhere from .2-.5” smaller. Negligible. It’ll give me a better tire selection, so I’ll go with the whale stocker size.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

That’ll do. Found another place near my in-laws that had one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	730FA485-BF2A-489F-8C1F-B574FB4FC1AF.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	1288949
      —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

there are two very slightly different styled HPP if I remember right, so make sure you have a matching set of 4 on the car. Or at least 2 sets of 2 and run them left and right. If one is an oddball, stick in in the trunk for the spare. Forget the exact difference, something about polished vs satin wheel lip I think? One of those deals where if you put them side by side you can tell, but opposite sides of the car nobody would ever know.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This was the first time I had used the Sonnax wheel cleaner. I had used a slightly acidic cleaner (Eagle 1) on the first two wheels I bought. It did slightly mar the finish on the wheel lips, but it also got the backsides of the wheels much cleaner than the Sonnax. The Sonnax cleaner probably just isn't designed to clean heavily soiled wheels.

Unfortunately, Gadget's warning was correct. The first two wheels I bought were the polished lip-type. The other three I acquired while in Dallas are the painted-type. I'm going to have a local repair place fix the curb rash before I mount these wheels. I may see if they could possibly polish and clear coat the painted wheels as well. Otherwise, I'll just mount them on opposite sides.

I'll be daily driving my '95 Mustang over the summer to take advantage of the air conditioning. I'll be replacing the dead fuel pump and finally getting the bib brake swap done since I now have everything I need. Might also swap out the engine this fall once the pick-n-pull motor rebuild is complete.
          —John

Comment

Does anyone know of a good online source for stainless exhaust hanger rods?
            —John

Comment

I had a saved search with email alerts on eBay for quite a while for this part number. Some research a while back told me that this is the correct trunk lock kit for 1990-1991 Grand marquis. You can get aftermarket locks, but they don't include the glove box lock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8063.jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1289019 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8062.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1289020
              —John

Comment

I have a terrible confession to make. I sold the old girl tonight.

I recently got my hands on a pristine 1985 F-150 XLT Lariat from an estate sale. The purchase was made on an agreement with the wife that the car had to go. I'm sad, but I needed a truck, and I'm very happy to have this one. I will own another one day!

—John

Comment

how long till you see it up for sale again?
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    how long till you see it up for sale again?
                    Who knows. Dude was pretty excited about it.
                    —John

Comment

Nice F-150 300 6 cylinder or V-8 ? I wish those pickups where available up here and not rusted out. Nice body style.

Comment

You're gonna miss the crew cab Grand Marquis!
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

THat's an awesome truck right there, I love the color combo. Is it the EFI 302 or carbureted something? I've always kind of wanted an '86 with the 302 EFI engine and a five speed.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                            Nice F-150 300 6 cylinder or V-8 ? I wish those pickups where available up here and not rusted out. Nice body style.
                            302 V8. They’re getting tough to find down here as well. Just not because of rust. We appear to have reached that critical point where vehicles of that vintage seem to disappear from the roads en masse. It’s sad, really.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                            You're gonna miss the crew cab Grand Marquis!
                            I do miss it! For now, the truck is keeping me going! I wouldn’t have wanted anything much newer than this.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            THat's an awesome truck right there, I love the color combo. Is it the EFI 302 or carbureted something? I've always kind of wanted an '86 with the 302 EFI engine and a five speed.
                            It’s the EFI. First year for this truck, but only on the 302. Batch fire (meh), but plenty powerful as it stands. The only way this truck could be any better is if it were a 4x4 with a 5-speed.
                            —John

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                              ...It’s the EFI. First year for this truck, but only on the 302. Batch fire (meh), but plenty powerful as it stands. The only way this truck could be any better is if it were a 4x4 with a 5-speed.
                              Weren't they all batch fire up until maybe '95 or '96? Mind posting pics? I've heard the '85's EFI set-up was physically identical to the 90's stuff. Only give away is the lack of serpentine belts. Does it have a check engine light?
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Up to 93. 94 went sequential IIRC. I know the 93 I had was batch fire.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X