Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Nice. I recently picked up a milwaukee M12 (1/2") stubby impact gun. Bunch of torque settings and very very impressive. Does lug nuts better than my ryobi 18v impact.

Anyways for more accurate toe readings (for anyone planning to do this as part of their real alignment) you kinda have to roll the car back and forth after you make an adjustment. The suspension does not settle fully, nore do the tires if you just drop it. My Vic is self aligned by me in my backyard. Took way to damn long setting caster, camber and toe but it can all be done.

Curious, did the taillight lenses need a clear? A sand up to 2000/3000 and some plastic polish would not give you a good result without the potential for clear fading?
    I made sure to back it up and drive forward after setting it down and before measuring. No problems there.

On the tails, I was going off a procedure from a highly experienced paint and body guy on the Mustang forum. I do beet to wet sand the clear to knock down the orange peel a bit. I have to buy some 2000 grit paper first, though. Will update that when done.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Cool. Ive heard mixed reviews (based off of headlights being clearcoated) enough so that I don't intend to ever do it to my own. If I have to go back every year for a polish I will take that over stripping off old clearcoat. I will say that when done correctly clearcoated lights do look damn nice.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I think it is possible to love your tools. I've got a 1/2 inch DeWilt electric impact and if it wasn't for the drill-esq direction buttons (too easy for your thumb to slide into and change the direction without realizing it), I'd love it. The middle torque setting tightens right up to 100ft lbs, right on the nose for my K1500. First real power tool I've bought and it's a game changer, no more tightening lug nuts by hand. When Ashley had her F250, that was a PITA, 32 lug nuts by hand...
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Cool. Ive heard mixed reviews (based off of headlights being clearcoated) enough so that I don't intend to ever do it to my own. If I have to go back every year for a polish I will take that over stripping off old clearcoat. I will say that when done correctly clearcoated lights do look damn nice.
          Well, the two people I know who get excellent results with clear are both highly skilled paint and body guys. If these lights end up looking like crap because I'm not, I'll probably just send them to one of them.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          I think it is possible to love your tools. I've got a 1/2 inch DeWilt electric impact and if it wasn't for the drill-esq direction buttons (too easy for your thumb to slide into and change the direction without realizing it), I'd love it. The middle torque setting tightens right up to 100ft lbs, right on the nose for my K1500. First real power tool I've bought and it's a game changer, no more tightening lug nuts by hand. When Ashley had her F250, that was a PITA, 32 lug nuts by hand...
          I installed all new springs and shocks on my car before I had the impact or even an air compressor. First time I had ever had those wheels off myself. I about killed myself just loosening the lug nuts. Nothing beats having the right tools!

I would to get a 1/2 impact as well in the future. That would also make a nice junkyard tool.
          —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

It does certainly come in handy at yards, zipping things like differential covers off takes seconds, not minutes. I still find myself going to hand tools out of habit though. Plus with how bulky the damn thing is I need more u-joints and extensions if I want to use it in hard to reach areas..

Comment

I had thought about the bulkiness of it. As soon as the tax return comes in I'll be purchasing this to go along with it.
              —John

Comment

Oh wow, I need that and a 3/8th drive impact.

Comment

I may have a problem. I removed my upper intake since I realized at least one bolt for the lower needed to be retorqued. When I removed the throttle cable bracket, I realized that both tabs on the TV cable are broken. There’s nothing holding it in the bracket. Is there enough tension for it to be fine, or am I going to need to figure out something to keep it tight against the bracket?

Click image for larger version

Name:	15044378-313A-40FD-B7E9-3BCC13202419.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	1285096
                  —John

Comment

When it's mounted, it should seat in the hold and stay put. Unless there's a condition in the cable that causes it to stick when the throttle is released and push it back out, but that would just make the pressure stay high and hold the gear. This wouldn't damage the trans, but just keep you from shifting properly. One idea I just had to possibly make a temporary (that will be permanent) fix would be to use one of those VSS retainer clips to bolt the cable down to the bracket.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I ended up grabbing an extra bracket I had laying around. This was a bracket for a seat belt/head lamp buzzer. I hammered down one end to make it straight, cut off the excess, and used an existing hole in the throttle bracket to secure it using a flanged bolt from my stash and a nylock nut. I think it was successful. Car drove fine earlier this evening.

I secured it using the only Snap-On tool I currently own. I don't remember where I acquired this 10mm wrench. I have almost ten of them.

It isn't seated 100%, but I don't think it's enough to make a difference.
                      —John

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Good enough. It just needs to stay generally in the hole. Since the lever pulls on that cable, it'll stop once it seats fully. The return spring usually keeps the cable tight enough to keep the cable from removing itself from the mount anyhow. But now it won't go anywhere for sure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I approve.

Nice work. I would have done the same thing. In those "oh fuck" moments I always try to come up with a quick fix.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Any idea what might be causing this? Found this after I drove the car today. Smells vaguely of gasoline. I don't think it's coolant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6753.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1285121
                              —John

Comment

pull the dipstick and check that. If it's all milky... something is very wrong. If it's got a stain, but the oil itself looks fine... you may have excessive condensation buildup in the engine and need a good hour drive to bake it all off.

Comment

Working...
                                X