Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JCN... hmm...
    Joyous Cruising Nights?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just cut noise?
      1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
      2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
      1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
      2018 VW Golf GTI - February 2018-February 2021 (was a lease)
      2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - May 2019 (it's road legal!)

2019 VW Golf Alltrack company provided April 2019 - Present
      2012 Fiat 500 5 speed - January 2021-Present
      2003 Audi A6 Allroad 6 speed July 2021-Present

Comment

just cant navigate.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Just Cause Ninjas

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Jim Carey's Nose?
            1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
            2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
            1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
            2018 VW Golf GTI - February 2018-February 2021 (was a lease)
            2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - May 2019 (it's road legal!)

2019 VW Golf Alltrack company provided April 2019 - Present
            2012 Fiat 500 5 speed - January 2021-Present
            2003 Audi A6 Allroad 6 speed July 2021-Present

Comment

Keep an eye out for when the GMN series plates hit the street and "lose" on of the junk car plates... =-)

Alex.

Comment

Jail Comes Next.

Haha. I'm actually happy with the plates. Nice to have something other than the temp paper on the back. It's the final cherry on top after fixing all the leaks and getting her running (mostly) right.
                —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Did a bit of driving in and around town yesterday. I got on the highway to head home and had a bad vibration/bucking when I neared 55mph. I noticed that my coolant gauge was on the hot side (not pegged). Pulled over, popped the hood. Some coolant was bubbling out from a couple of the heater hoses (tightened all clamps). Burned myself when my arm touched the radiator. The coolant in the overflow tank had a thin film of foam on top (boiling coolant?). Sat there on the side of the highway for about thirty minutes to let it cool down. Started it back up, finished the drive home with no problems. Vibration was gone (drove at about 70 the rest of the way). I'm really not in the mood for random overheating.

This year's tax money will help pay for a new radiator, heater core, coolant hoses and water pump. Also going to pull the aforementioned Mark VII drivetrain and start rebuilding that for later.
                  —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

New multifunction switch. Old one had problems with internal contacts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1281435 Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1281436
                    —John

Comment

That reminds me, The Scab needs a new MF switch. I kind of forgot about that since I haven't drove that car since November.

Also, congrats on POTM, your car looks good at the top of the page.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I love the '90+ multi-function switch. Had put a new one in my '90 the day it got wrecked. Just harvested it last weekend to put in the new '90. Wipers that respond are neat. Old switch required repeated scrolling of the wiper function to get shit to wipe. A bit disconcerting on the rare occasion it actually rains here.

Comment

That's how I was doing it too until I found that if I held the stalk just right it would work consistently. I figured that out after realizing the wipers would activate every time I went over a bump.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                            That reminds me, The Scab needs a new MF switch. I kind of forgot about that since I haven't drove that car since November.

Also, congrats on POTM, your car looks good at the top of the page.
                            Thanks very much! I keep doing a double take when I see my car at the top.

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                            I love the '90+ multi-function switch. Had put a new one in my '90 the day it got wrecked. Just harvested it last weekend to put in the new '90. Wipers that respond are neat. Old switch required repeated scrolling of the wiper function to get shit to wipe. A bit disconcerting on the rare occasion it actually rains here.
                            Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                            That's how I was doing it too until I found that if I held the stalk just right it would work consistently. I figured that out after realizing the wipers would activate every time I went over a bump.
                            I was having the exact same problem with the old one. The wiper settings were very temperamental. Some settings would cause them to turn off. Most intermittent settings wouldn't actually move the wipers unless I smacked the stalk or used my turn signals. Only one or two of the intermittent settings were reliable. Otherwise I would just use the continuous settings. The new switch is very quiet and feels great. Haven't used the wipers yet since it's been dry, but I'm sure they'll be fantastic when I need them.
                            —John

Comment

I had a bad wiper switch I fanagled the switch for over 16 years untill one day it crapped out on me and it was raining and it sucked. I also had bad head unit and speakers when I go my car so I dug out my head unit that I used in my old car that I harvested before I sent it to the junk yard I installed it along with my Amp and new speakers used them for over 17 years until I up graded to new speakers and Amp and Bass speakers. It makes no sense to install used sterio parts when you can get new and it works.

Comment

So my next big move on this car is going to be pulling a junkyard engine to rebuild. I'm going to keep it simple this go round with an HO swap. I'm tempted to try GT40 heads and my nice Explorer intake, but it's too much of a chance that the Mark VII speed density ECM won't be able to handle the extra flow without going dangerously lean. If it can't, I'll have to do a MAF swap; in which case, I lose my cruise (that's a no go at this station).

In other news, the power steering pump started making crazy loud noises yesterday. Turns out it was just low on fluid. Quieted right down after adding some fluid ('twas nearly dry). Glad I don't have to worry about that right now.

The other big move—in conjunction with a new motor and rebuilt AOD—will be a completely new, upgraded cooling system. I already have a new Motorcraft heater core and will be purchasing the Spectra Premium 3-row radiator and new hoses soon; along with a new fan clutch. The water pump looked relatively new when I redid all the top gaskets (all the studs backed out with no issues when I tested them out).

In other, other news, the car got hit in the parking lot on base last week. The good news is, it wasn't that bad at all: there is a crack in the header panel just behind the driver side marker lamp along with some superficial damage to the filler panel, fender extension and bumper rub strip on that side. The bad news is that the insurance totaled it (200k+ miles, 27 years old, all parts discontinued; what'cha gonna do?). The other good news from this is that Texas law is easy peasy in regards to salvaging a car. Because the car is so old and is worth so little, it does not fall under the jurisdiction of Texas salvage laws. This means that I keep my clean, blue title; an accident incident will go in the car's record (not a big deal). The best news is that I got a fat little check from the whole ordeal (new parts, here I come!). The ironic news is that the individual who hit it is my squadron superintendent!

I'll post up a picture of the damage tomorrow if I remember.
                                Last edited by Giraffe; 03-28-2017, 10:06 PM.
                                —John

Comment

Working...
                                X