Clear All

Ahh. I did not realize you changed out the fronts.....Carry on
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      Looks good. Funny needing a spring compressor for the rear springs.
      I needed compressors to get the rear cargo springs into the wagon, yet somehow I managed to get them under the '97 years ago with Nick. Can't figure out why, even following the same methodology.

Anyway, these cars look great when their springs aren't sagging under the car's own weight. Plus, good ride height clearance while remaining stable. I laughed when I saw a MotorWeek segment over a new Subaru Crosstrek touting their "8.7 inches of ground clearance", like that was some great accomplishment. Both of my cars definitely sit at 9 inches, or a touch greater.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The new springs also seem to have cured another issue I was having. In overdrive at low RPMs/speeds (45-60 MPH), the car would buck at part throttle. I would always have to stab the throttle to get it to downshift or just slow down some more. I would have to manually shift into third when going up long stretches of slight incline as it would start bucking at part throttle and downshifting would put me too far over the speed limit. All that seems to be gone now with the new springs. I had no idea worn out, bouncy springs could cause so many issues.
        —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
        1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
        1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
          1 dude and 1 dudette! Haha
          I couldn't figure out how to incorporate gender, you make it look easy lol. Hey, where's that video of Kishy's '84 vs my '88?

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
          Almost two decades ago I started my first job as a grocery sacker boy. All the old people owned cars like these back then. A lot of Town Cars. You would always hear the load leveling kick in once you started piling grocery bags in the trunk.
          LoL yep, why I like either flipping the key to run or starting it in the colder periods when loading stuff in so I can hear and see the same thing. Sometimes I'll wait until everything is loaded so the compressor kicks on just once and I can see the magic happening. Unloading is fun too as you can hear the hiss of the air being released with almost everything you take out.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Oh yea I need to get that off the phone and on the intergoogles. ....
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
            03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

She survived a road trip to Dallas and back last week! Paid the FAA Flight Standards District Office in Dallas a visit.

I think I need to get the TV cable adjusted. She always seems to upshift way too early.

There's a clicking sound that seems to be coming from the front passenger wheel ever since I did the shocks/springs. Hasn't gotten any worse and gave me no trouble on the highway.

Driving at 75-80 on the highway really drives home the need for new weatherstrip on all four doors. That's in the cards to remedy hopefully before it gets too cold.

She rides nice and smooth. I love this car.
              —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

Better adjust that cable sooner rather than later. Straightforward thing to do, as even I was able to pull it off!

Comment

When I adjusted the cable, bit by bit, I eventually went a touch too far. I could tell as it did not want to shift unless I feathered the throttle. Moved it back the last bit and all was well. It still seemed to upshift a bit early but I believe that is the basic design. Enjoy the cush.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

So I am in DFW for the week taking part in a prep course to help me pass my FAA powerplant mechanic examination. I decided to drive the Mercury since it's been behaving very well for about six months now in addition to finally having heat just in time for real fall weather to make its way to Texas.

Of course, a couple of problems pop up on my way down, but not until after I'm already pretty much to my in-laws with whom I am staying since it's cheaper than a motel.

First, the car started getting near to overheating. I pull over, pop the hood, shut the engine off, and the fan proceeds to keep spinning for a few seconds. I replaced the fan clutch in May; the replacement is already bad. It's a Four Seasons with a 12-month warranty which I decided to forgo in favor of ponying up a few extra dollars for the AC Delco Professional clutch. I had the new clutch shipped to my in-laws. Should be arriving tomorrow.

Second, the car started pulling hard to the right along with a vibration that felt as if I was riding the brake (brakes are lumpy, dealing with it until I do a big brake swap). It got to a point where a significant amount of throttle was required just to move the car. I pulled over and the same wheel was very hot. I jacked it up and could barely turn the wheel at all by hand. Thought it was originally a wheel bearing, but I narrowed it down to a sticking caliper. I really didn't want to have to dump money into the stock brakes, but I had no choice. Threw on a Brake Best reman from O'Reilly and bled it today. I already pulled off the old fan clutch and the new one doesn't come in until tomorrow. I don't want to throw the old one back on just for a test drive, so I'll test it tomorrow once the new clutch comes in.

My road trips are always way too eventful.
                    —John

Comment

don't be too surprised if the other caliper fucks off on you shortly.

Emergency 'its running a little hot' fix, turn the heater on full blast. It can often get just enough extra out of the cooling system to limp you to somewhere you can actually deal with the problem.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I still have to drive back to Wichita Falls. I wonder if I shouldn't just replace the driver's side, too. Or at least buy it and have it on hand.
                        —John

Comment

And tomorrow is supposed to be a real winner of a day to boot. 40s, windy, and wet. I'm planning to do an initial fire of my fire pit on Friday evening with crape myrtle trimmings. Supposed to be low 60s. About perfect for sitting around a fire pit. PM me for my phone # and address if you wanna drop by and say hi.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            don't be too surprised if the other caliper fucks off on you shortly.

Emergency 'its running a little hot' fix, turn the heater on full blast. It can often get just enough extra out of the cooling system to limp you to somewhere you can actually deal with the problem.
                            This. Why I replace both if that stuff fails. I also do the lines too as I had one shit it's pants on the Firebird early into my mechanical career. Replaced calipers, still sticky. Replace lines, no stick. It amazes me how poor the quality is on reman stuff. I replaced both calipers on Ashley's Town Car along with the rotors, bearings, pads & rubber lines. LTDMan83 acquires it and one shortly locks up on him. I mean, the factory stuff only lasted damn near 30 years...

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                              It amazes me how poor the quality is on reman stuff. I replaced both calipers on Ashley's Town Car along with the rotors, bearings, pads & rubber lines. LTDMan83 acquires it and one shortly locks up on him. I mean, the factory stuff only lasted damn near 30 years...
                              I tried 3 reman calipers till I got a good one for my old D60. On average aftermarket rear wheel cylinders last about two years of daily-driver duty, doesn't seem to matter where they're made - NOS Bendix no problems after several years, still look like new under the dust seal. Fuel tanks rotted tru in 6 years, those were made in Canada actually and the vehicle doesn't see much any winter action to begin with - replace with OEM plastic, done and done! Yeah, OEM parts for me whenever I can get them priced reasonably. About to toss a NOS balancer in the 1-ton, $100-ish for it and OEM-style seal or $50 for a repair sleeve and matching seal that may or may not stop the leak...

Giraffe, just replace the other brake caliper as well. They are cheap enough, your peace of mind will be worth it.
                              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I just had O’Reilly order the other caliper for me. I’ll install it today after I get back to the in-laws. Can’t wait to get it up and running again.
                                —John

Comment

Working...
                                X