No announcement yet.

Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been procrastinating on repairing the broken ash tray doors. Finally got around to it today. Had to use some improvised nails as the originals all broke when I was bending them. Went together very smoothly. Much quieter at cruise now without the bouncing open doors making all that racket.
    Attached Files
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Cool. The ash trays are one of the various amazingly chintzy things that Ford was doing in the 80s. They used those same basic ones in a bunch of models too, the lock tabs break and the doors warp. Not awesome at all.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Cool. The ash trays are one of the various amazingly chintzy things that Ford was doing in the 80s. They used those same basic ones in a bunch of models too, the lock tabs break and the doors warp. Not awesome at all.
        I didn’t even realize they could be repaired. I’ve gotten lucky and found replacements trim plates with doors for all of my broken ones. I tell people not to open them and if for whatever reason they have to, I ask they slide the latch back into place instead of pushing it down and letting it snap closed. It sounds extremely petty, but I don’t want the little tabs breaking off. It’s not often I see cars with good ash tray doors.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
          I didn’t even realize they could be repaired. I’ve gotten lucky and found replacements trim plates with doors for all of my broken ones. I tell people not to open them and if for whatever reason they have to, I ask they slide the latch back into place instead of pushing it down and letting it snap closed. It sounds extremely petty, but I don’t want the little tabs breaking off. It’s not often I see cars with good ash tray doors.
          I found a couple switch bezels with good door tabs a while ago and just swapped the doors over to my existing bezels. All I had to do was remove the bent nails holding them in and replace them with new ones. Pretty straightforward, actually.
          —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

Makes me regret not pillaging my wrecked '90 for lots of little crap like this. All my doors are fine so far but never hurts to have extra parts. Stole a ton of shit from the engine compartment though. Left them the crappy old heads and intake. Saved the egr spacer and tb to bore out and rob throttle lever from respectively. Lots of other stuff. Sucks when little annoying stuff goes wrong. As a whole we tend to have enough major crap looming to not need the hassle of piddly crap repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              ugha. The warping doors!
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I've been using some of the tax refund to round up parts to redo the exhaust on the Mercury and the Mustang in the near future.

Got my hands on a set of brand new BBK 15150 ceramic coated shorty headers on Amazon for only $194! The seller listed them as used but like new. The seller only had 64% positive reviews, so I went through all the three star and below reviews before buying. Most negative reviews were from people who bought something that was said to be in stock but wasn't, buying the wrong thing and blaming it on the seller, or complaining about long drop ship times.

The headers arrived today in an unopened box and look brand new. Saved $105 off the brand new price. I also have a set of Walker 2.5" quiet flow SS mufflers that will be going on. The eventual plan is to get a Pypes x-pipe and drive down to Kinney's Muffler Shop in Fort Worth so they can fab up a stainless catback and add some high-flow cats.

I bought some 304 stainless steel Flowmaster HP2 mufflers for the Mustang. The plan for that one is roughly the same. Take it down to Fort Worth and have them make a custom stainless h-pipe to replace my rusted aluminized MAC h-pipe. The HP2s will quiet it down quite a bit. I'm currently running no cats with 40-series Flowmasters. I'm getting older and like my cars quieter, so the HP2s will do the trick, I think. I've heard some sound clips of them and liked what I heard. The Mustang will get some high-flow cats as well to help with the fuel smell.

The 3.08 gears will also be going in the Mustang fairly soon at which time its old 3.73s will be making their way into the Mercury.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1045.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1283124 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1046.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1283125 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1047.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1283126 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1048.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1283127 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1049.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1283128 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1050.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1283129 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1051.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1283130 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1053.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1283131
                —John

Comment

Going to be in Ft Worth this weekend at the junkyard. Just sayin’.
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I'll be in Dallas with the in-laws this weekend.
                    —John

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                      Going to be in Ft Worth this weekend at the junkyard. Just sayin’.
                      Gonna meet up with him for one project part I forgot about when I went to Dallas West.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I too need a small part or two for my project.
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Y’all meeting up Saturday or Sunday?
                          —John

Comment

Saturday.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Well, I'll be busy most of Saturday. Have to see about a free weekend in the future.
                              —John

Comment

no problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X