No announcement yet.

Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That red wire. Does it have 12v? If so, does it have a fuse?
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
      That red wire. Does it have 12v? If so, does it have a fuse?
      That's the wire for that start switch I mentioned. A new Motorcraft solenoid is on the way. I'm thinking the solenoid went out before and the previous owner was too cheap to buy a new one. I hope. We'll see.
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Definitely keep an eye/ear on that knock, otherwise i think it looks great. A good cleaning will definitely help though.

-1994 Lincoln Town Car...always under construction

Comment

I used to dump a can of "restore" in with every oil change. It seemed to quell the lopo knock.
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Is your knock present hot/cold/all the time?
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
              I used to dump a can of "restore" in with every oil change. It seemed to quell the lopo knock.
              Never heard of that stuff. Is it anything like the Lucas oil stabilizer?

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
              Is your knock present hot/cold/all the time?
              I'm not sure. I'll have to check next time I run it. Out of town for Thanksgiving, so that'll have to wait until next week.

I bought a new Motorcraft battery for it yesterday; it cranks on its own now. I just need the solenoid and I should be able to get rid of that stupid switch as well. I'd like to start daily driving it next week. I also noticed that is has a pronounced oil leak coming from somewhere on the driver's side that's leaking onto the cat making it smoke constantly. It's also dripping on the ground at a rate of about two drops per minute. There's so much dirt/oil everywhere that I really can't tell where it's coming from.
              —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

Gonna grab these. I can get 100 for the price of two cards of three. Always good to have spares.

—John

Comment

I usually suggest a stereo upgrade instead of magic potion in the engine. Fix the knock properly when it becomes a real problem with an actual engine.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    I usually suggest a stereo upgrade instead of magic potion in the engine. Fix the knock properly when it becomes a real problem with an actual engine.
                    Not a bad idea since the radio doesn't work. I'm going to look into acquiring a jy exploder motor soon, I think. Might as well have it ready.
                    —John

Comment

Engine Honey in a can will thicken oil and get rid of the knock or just run 20w-50
                      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        You think I could get a good sounding system with just four good speakers and a good aftermarket head unit? I've never messed with audio systems in any of my cars. I'd be happy with something on par with Ford factory sounds systems since the 2000's.
                        —John

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                          The spare is also useless. It looks to have been involved in a major blowout.
                          Wow...
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Nice find on the regulator bushings.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

For the source of the oil leak, my first guess would be valve cover gaskets. Make sure the valve cover bolts are not loose, I came across that recently.

If that's not it, my second guess would be the lower intake gasket. I would think this would be less likely than valve covers gaskets.

If the source is still not identified, check the PCV. The grommet along wit the valve will pop out of the lower intake and oil can escape in the fumes coming from there. If there is significant blow-by, enough oily fumes can escape and the oil accumulate to the point where it drips. Usually the tell-tale sign of that is an oily wiper cowl in that area. I would think this would be highly unlikely to be your source, but if nothing else is found this is the last thing I would check.

Another oil leak I have had in the past is the original oil pressure sensor/switch. That's toward the font by the oil filter, not near the area you describe. That should leak straight down, so not likely your culprit.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

What Vic said. If it's that nasty i would take the car to town and pressure wash the motor and then buy permaseal rubber valve cover gaskets and a new lower Intake gasket set. Put a new pcv, screen, distributor o ring, and oil sending unit. Short of oil pan gasket that should fix a lot of oil leaks.
                                -Nick M.
                                Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                                03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Working...
                                X