Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
    If he pulls the engine and it is complete with accessories, that would be a good deal. 93 AODs were horrible so that makes perfect sense why it was junked.
    Decent Bronco. Decent ones were plentiful until I moved here. Most are rot boxes. The nicest one I have ever seen here in Maine was in a "cash for clunkers" line at a Ford dealership. Perfect showroom condition. Dealer would not sell it.
    I could probably sell off the accessories for some cash. They're the same brackets as were used on the '94-'95 5.0 Mustangs. You think that engine would be fine riding in my trunk with the sedan cargo coils I have?

Sucks about that Bronco. I believe the CFC law mandated that any vehicles HAD to be crushed. Such a shame. That's reason enough to hate to Obama administration.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
    I wonder if they verified the working odometer. I know three MN12 TBird owners without a working original/nonrepaired odometers. Only one of the three actually is a low mile garage kept car. Seems like they were even worse than 90+ Panthers.
    I could pull the cluster to check the gears next time I'm there. Maybe pull a valve cover as well just to make sure it's not sludge city under there. There's also still the option of the Mark VII 5.0 at the yard closer to me. Hopefully it's still there. He quoted me $450 for that motor last year.

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    Hahaha every '90-'91 panther i've bought or looked at didn't have a working odometer. I love that people always claim the low mileage whilst never mentioning that the odometer reading hasn't changed in 5 years. Even funnier when they put up a pic of the odometer and you can see the numbers all crooked and know the gears shit the bed a while ago. People are such scumbags...
    I always look at the trip odometer. Someone resets it at some point and it stays at zero. Most people don't reset their trip odometers. If I see a car for sale with "47k original miles" and the trip is 0000 in the picture, yeah. Mileage doesn't really matter in a car that old anyway.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Quote from Giraffe: "I could probably sell off the accessories for some cash. They're the same brackets as were used on the '94-'95 5.0 Mustangs. You think that engine would be fine riding in my trunk with the sedan cargo coils I have?"

If you have a tow hitch on your car, rent/borrow a trailer. Don't mess up the trunk area with grease etc. The clearance of the trunk lid would be another issue. Your car might not be able to handle the weight.
      You could always rent a U haul pickup for a couple of hours.
      Ask the junk yard deliver it for you. Many yards deliver to their big customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
        Quote from Giraffe: "I could probably sell off the accessories for some cash. They're the same brackets as were used on the '94-'95 5.0 Mustangs. You think that engine would be fine riding in my trunk with the sedan cargo coils I have?"

If you have a tow hitch on your car, rent/borrow a trailer. Don't mess up the trunk area with grease etc. The clearance of the trunk lid would be another issue. Your car might not be able to handle the weight.
        You could always rent a U haul pickup for a couple of hours.
        Ask the junk yard deliver it for you. Many yards deliver to their big customers.
        This.

That said... yes, cargo coils would handle the job just fine, the engine will fit in the trunk but it may not close, and the car will still drag some ass... but you could also borrow me and my trailer (which I give zero cares about making dirty) to haul an engine. Granted, I'd have to have a day that meshes with your schedule and meet you at the yard and I would require lunch and "assistance fees" as it were.

Funny part is I bought my trailer in your town.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          This.

That said... yes, cargo coils would handle the job just fine, the engine will fit in the trunk but it may not close, and the car will still drag some ass... but you could also borrow me and my trailer (which I give zero cares about making dirty) to haul an engine. Granted, I'd have to have a day that meshes with your schedule and meet you at the yard and I would require lunch and "assistance fees" as it were.

If sly goes could i go too could probably learn a few things to look for when its time to replace my engine im free on Sundays lol

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            This.

No trailer hitch on my car. I was thinking in terms of the long block fitting in the trunk with all accessories removed.

Originally posted by Elias View Post
            If sly goes could i go too could probably learn a few things to look for when its time to replace my engine im free on Sundays lol
            I do have two weeks of leave scheduled between 29 May and 8 June. I plan to hit a junkyard at least two of those days. Even if I don't get the engine during that time, a meet would be cool. Need to get Tom involved.
            —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

I've currently got no plans for the first weekend in June... I was figuring you borrowing me and my trailer as my car has a hitch and has no issue hauling that thing around. Also, an engine will fit with all the accessories on it... barely. Definitely easier in my trailer though. Would need to find an old tire or something to help set it in the trailer though. That I no gots.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I still have the original spare with its blown out tire that I've been keeping around for just that purpose. Just need to have a place remove the tire.
                —John

Comment

That works.... mind the exposed cords though. I also have enough ratchet straps to lock it down too.

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                    I still have the original spare with its blown out tire that I've been keeping around for just that purpose. Just need to have a place remove the tire.
                    I have 2 spare tires laying around thats are not mounted on wheels

Comment

Damn i wish i lived closer to other panther nuts. You guys are awesome, and lucky. Might actually be able to convince the wife to move to Texas at some point so who knows...

Comment

When the time gets closer, shoot me a message. I am quite sure Adam and I can come out.
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                          I have 2 spare tires laying around thats are not mounted on wheels
                          That would actually be better than using the tire I have due to the aforementioned exposed, sharp, rusty metal belts. There's a picture of what's left of the tire on page 2.

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                          Damn i wish i lived closer to other panther nuts. You guys are awesome, and lucky. Might actually be able to convince the wife to move to Texas at some point so who knows...
                          The panther guys down here have the best of both worlds. A bunch of panther owners in close proximity but without the nasty winter weather that brings salt and rust!

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                          When the time gets closer, shoot me a message. I am quite sure Adam and I can come out.
                          Awesome!
                          —John

Comment

So I've started to notice a hissing sound when at a stop with the brake pedal depressed. I've read enough on here to know that there is probably a leak in my brake booster somewhere.

That being said, is there any reason to upgrade to a 1998-2002 brake booster other than freeing up real estate for a 5-speed conversion's clutch cable? Would it be worth it simply to free up the real estate for working on the car?

Also, I eventually plan to upgrade to rear disc brakes. Would installing a later model brake master cylinder with the rear drums still in place be a bad idea? I would love to upgrade everything at once, however, I don't have the money laying around to get my hands on all the swap parts right now.
                            —John

Comment

The aero/whale booster would make the pedal more linear and give better feel as well as control since it doesn't go from just barely to full lockup so fast. This is actually the main reason for the change for most folks from what I've seen.

Comment

yeah, its a better booster. More assist as well, so thats a plus.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X