No announcement yet.

Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, that sounds good. I asked because the most detailed write-ups I've seen about the swap were part of 5-speed swaps.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

And regarding the master cylinder, would I need the ABS or non-ABS version for the swap?
      —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

Here's just some info that came up when I was inquiring about the newer type booster. Pretty much got the "breakdown" on the Aero/Early Whale boosters:
        Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
        ‘92-‘94 (‘90-‘94 TC) Non-ABS + ‘95-‘00 Non-Police Boosters are interchangeable as they are they same. Both use standard threads on the studs and have a 222.25mm diaphragm diameter.
        ‘92-94 (‘91-‘94 TC) ABS boosters are unique to themselves. They use metric threads on the studs and have a 222.25mm diaphragm.
        ‘95-‘00 Police boosters are unique to themselves. They use standard threads and have a 224.03mm diaphragm.
        Essentially the TL;DR is just ignore ABS booster units for the '92-'94 cars. You can use the others without any issues. I've got one specified for a '92 CV without ABS on my '87. I kept the original master cylinder on when I installed it. I just had to gently move everything forwards a bit. Everything fit fine.

As far as updating the master cylinder, I figure a non-ABS unit should fit the bill, however I'm not sure if the threads going into the later ones are the same as the early ones, but I'm sure someone will chime in on that. Also, I thought these have some frame mounted proportioning block compared to the later cars. I don't know how well that would mesh with a rear disc setup.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
          And regarding the master cylinder, would I need the ABS or non-ABS version for the swap?
          I kept my stock 1983 master cylinder. Works fine still!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

What's the difference between the 92-94 and 98-02 MCs?
            —John

Comment

apparently 01/02 are different from 92-00 non-ABS/non-police as they are not listed on the applications. Probably different 01+ because PI engine change over. Probably changed several things that year.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1B44F2C7-98FC-4DE1-A7DB-03EAED06FB24.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1283388

Well that’s never happened before. I found a part number for a NOS lock set a while back. I was hoping to use the original for a while longer, but I guess not. I ordered the set today. Unfortunately, it only contains the ignition and door locks. I’ll have to find a set for the glovebox and trunk separately. I ordered the ignition set from a Ford dealer that gave me a number for the trunk set. Time to search the depths of the internet.
                —John

Comment

or just go to a locksmith... or take the pins from the old one and put them in the new one like I did on my 93.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Only problem is the other half of the key is still in the cylinder.
                    —John

Comment

You can disassemble the cylinder once you remove it. It pretty much just clips together where the pins slide in. The key can actually stay in there to remove the pins. should be able to fall out once the pins are out though.

Comment

Anyone ever had three fan clutches fail in one weekend? Well I have.

My AC Delco replacement I installed in November went out Friday evening just outside Lawton on the way to visit the parents in OKC. O'Reilly's in Lawton had one on hand. I changed it out in about fifteen minutes and we were back on the road. Fast forward to coming home today and the car is getting hot again outside Chickasha. Pull over, shut the car off, and the fan freewheels again. The "Murray" branded clutch from the Lawton O'Reilly's lasted all of two days! The Chickasha O'Reilly's has the clutch on hand. Same part number, but this one is branded as a "Hayden". I install it in ten minutes (getting faster), and we're back on the road again. We get about ten miles from the Texas state line and the coolant gauge is creeping up again. We were only twenty five miles from home, so I just let it cool long enough to limp it home.

Peddling shit like that should be illegal.

I'm searching the interwebs for a NOS or Motorcraft clutch. No more junk.
                        —John

Comment

Crap like that is what made me put in e-fans in mine.

Comment

Aftermarket parts for ya. Everything aftermarket seems to be junk, especially anything "remanufactured." I think the clutch on my '88 is toast and it was new some 8k miles ago. Believe it was a Hayden unit too. Funny how the OEM one lasted 20+ years though.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

This is why i'm having a fierce debate with myself over fan installation. I have the brand-new clutch that came off the wrecked car, with fan, and the one currently on the car is fairly fresh. Pretty sure i can get my stock shroud to work with the big radiator i have, but do i hassle with it? Also already purchased big dual derale fan that moves 4000cfm. Either way i suppose it's taking a chance...

Comment

I plan to go electric at some point in the future. I have to do the 3g upgrade first, then decide about using aftermarket or retrofitting a factory fan from another car. Dual fans, or a single 2-speed? Which controller? Decisions.

Has anyone ever tried using the electric fan that was used on the later model panthers?
                                —John

Comment

Working...
                                X