No announcement yet.

Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pcv valve could also be clogged. When this happens the car sprouts oil leaks. Which will probably decrease but not stop once the filter/screen is replaced.

After washing the engine compartment, Change the PCV, filter/screen and grommet. It is a small PITA but is not expensive and is always a good "new car" step along with making sure the kickdown bushing is brass not plastic. (can't remember if you mentioned that as being done already.)

In general these are the two things to start with on unknown boxes with these components in addition to common things like fluid and filter changes.

It certainly would not hurt to follow NICK's advice either as there is a good chance all his recommendations will need to be done at some point.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I'm suspecting valve cover or intake. I might have a perma-dry gasket set laying around that I was intending to use on the Mustang. I'll check.

Here's what's left of the spare. It's been replaced for the time being with an extra turbine from the junkyard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2561.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	1280963
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

A few things. Had a honey-do to take care of, so I didn't get as much time as I would have liked after work today. I decided to tackle the front driver's window motor since the below package arrived today.

Name:	DSC_0042.jpg
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1280965Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0043.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1280966

Yes! $18 got me a box of 100; these are the same ones they sell in the HELP! section at the parts stores at $8 for a card of three. You can even get the same box of 100 for $8.00 on Rock Auto, but the shipping was kind of expensive for some reason, negating the savings.

Once I got the panel and everything else removed, I realized what my problem was. The window regulator arm pivot stud somehow came loose from the plastic bushing that runs in the track. The previous owner's fix was to secure the window up with wire and disconnect the window motor. Then I made an idiot blunder when I removed the motor and attempted to replace the gear bushings. I brain farted and forgot that the metal gear is held in by a clip. I pried on it and ended up damaging it beyond repair. Gonna order a new gear off Rock Auto. Not sure what I'm going to do about the regulator. I can't fathom how the plastic piece came off in the first place. The hole is too small to simply snap the pivot stud back in. Pics.

Name:	DSC_0044.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1280967Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0045.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1280968

It was at this time that I ran out of daylight. On another note, something I ordered came in today.

Name:	DSC_0041.jpg
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1280969

I supposedly found a NOS battery hold-down bracket on eBay, but it's too tall to be bolted down at the factory location and is too narrow to fit around my Motocraft battery. I don't see a part number anywhere on it and it did not come in original packaging. Were the original batteries that much shorter/narrower? I also found a NOS front license plate bracket on eBay. My car was originally an Oklahoma car and did not have the front bracket installed. This one is brand new in the orignal package; only problem is that it's a bit out of shape. It looks like it's been underneath a pile of parts for a while. It comes with two mounting screws and plastic rivets. I was rummaging around for my horror fright rivet gun, but I can't find it. Looks like I'll have to spend another $0.99.

In another bit of happy news, I do indeed have an extra set of Fel-Pro PermaDry valve cover gaskets laying around. I also have an extra set for the oil pan and a PTFE rear main seal that will probably go on at a later date.

Name:	DSC_0046.jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1280970Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0047.jpg
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1280971

So as of right now, both driver's side panels are off. One is waiting for a new window motor gear and for me to figure out this regulator situation. The other one just needs some more time.
        —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

8 bucks for 100 of those? I was thinking of measuring them and buying some rod stock to cut my own, but at that price it would not be worth my time by any stretch. Hell, I doubt I could buy the material to make 100 of them for 8 bucks.

I do not recall any retaining clips in the window motors. Maybe its a later model thing. Mine all had one screw holding a cover plate on, removing the cover let you just pull the gear right off the axle in the center of the whole mess. Mine is an 86, the gear head on the window motors has a 1960's part number on it, the motor itself has a 1970s part number. Only thing that changed in the 70s was they went from a round plug to a rectangle.

I wouldn't worry so much about the pan or rear main. They rarely go bad. Most of the oil pukage is the valve covers and the lower intake. My Mark VII has 250k on it, and after changing those it doesn't leak oil. Oil pan has never been off, and I would lay money on the rear main not having been done when the trans was out of it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

hmm... looking at scott's video that must be an older model thing where only the cover holds the gear in... http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post615971

The newer ones are also held in by the cover, but there is also a c clip on the top end of that axle that holds the gear in. So you can't just pop it out like scott did in the video in that other thread. I never realized that was an older model thing, unless you guys are all missing your c clips.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

My motors have 1989 part numbers on them.

Name:	DSC_0050.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1280974

Here is a picture of the clip and the groove where it sits on the shaft.

Name:	DSC_0048.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1280973Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0049.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1280975

I ended up breaking the plastic piece that goes on the regulator while trying to reinstall it. Looks like I'll be needing a new regulator. I couldn't find any place online that had the piece. Anyone have an extra regulator lying around?
              —John

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                My motors have 1989 part numbers on them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46488[/ATTACH]

Here is a picture of the clip and the groove where it sits on the shaft.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46487[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46489[/ATTACH]

I ended up breaking the plastic piece that goes on the regulator while trying to reinstall it. Looks like I'll be needing a new regulator. I couldn't find any place online that had the piece. Anyone have an extra regulator lying around?
                What piece are you talking about? I don't know of any plastic parts on the box regulators.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  What piece are you talking about? I don't know of any plastic parts on the box regulators.
                  The rectangular piece in the fourth picture on post #33. It goes into the window track. I think the regulators are specific to '90-'91. That piece somehow came off the pivot stud on the end of the lift arm. Tried to get it back on and just ended up shattering it. Very sad.
                  —John

Comment

Its not specific to the 90s models. The older ones had that same plastic slider in the track under the window glass.

Thats the later style motor. I see the C clip groove on it. Mine doesn't have that, and the motor itself is a fair bit larger. Annoyingly, its not actually as powerful so my windows run a little slower, and being a Lincoln its got a more complicated window regulator mechanism too.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm going to call junkyard in Dallas that had that 1990 GM from which I picked parts last Friday. Hopefully it hasn't yet been crushed and they can pull the regulator and motor and ship it up here.
                      —John

Comment

ah... that plastic bit. I wouldn't know how to remove that without damaging it or put one on if you managed to get one without damaging it. I would say heat at 150F in a oven (toaster oven) for a couple of hours (inside foil to keep it from out-gassing and contaminating your oven) and then install while hot (gloves might be a good thing), but getting one off a regulator would be the trick.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've put them back on by using a pair of vise grips. Put it in the track under the glass, put the ball end of the regulator into it, then squeeze it together. Its a pain in the ass, but it can be done. Unfortunately if its out, it might mean the plastic got damaged somehow and it needs replacing. I believe the same parts are used on Mustangs, so there is a fair bet you can get one from LMR.

Comment

I can't figure out in my head how it came out in the first place. I couldn't get it back on the arm because the hole was tapered and just would not fit over the stud. The good news is, I called the junkyard in Dallas and they haven't yet crushed the '90 GM. They're going to look into getting me that regulator and shipping it up here.

On a happier note, I spent the past week piecing together the parts to do the later model intake tube/air box swap. It's not an exact fit, but boy is there much more room on that side of the engine now. I also did a little bit of a spray down of the engine bay with the garden hose. I still plan to power wash it, but I'm waiting on new PCV parts and the intake manifold gasket I ordered to do that. Pictures.

Clean(er) engine bay.

Name:	DSC_0051.jpg
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1280977

Found this written on the passenger side of the header panel support written in pencil. I think this car has a lot more miles on it than I thought. Haha. No matter. Everything that needs to be fixed will be fixed. No matter how long it takes.

Name:	IMG_2569.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1280978

I think the radiator was replaced at some point. The fan shroud was fastened to the radiator with 7/16" bolts and nuts rather than the u-nuts and standard bolts. I grabbed some new bolts and u-nuts online and used several during the install. Looks just like the factory intended.

Name:	DSC_0054.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1280979Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0055.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1280980Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0056.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1280981

All done. The air box didn't fit the available bolt locations. I'll probably look into fabbing some adapter brackets later on. Found a bunch of dead ants under the intake plaque. I really need a shop light.

Name:	DSC_0053.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1280982Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2570.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1280983

I don't get much working time before the sun goes down. Hopefully I can start tackling the passenger side window motors tomorrow.
                            —John

Comment

I do love progress! Love the new airbox! It helps that you already have the correct inner fender for it
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                                I do love progress! Love the new airbox! It helps that you already have the correct inner fender for it
                                I grabbed the insulated mounting studs from the donor car, but they don't line up exactly. I'll have to fabricate some brackets if I want it to be installed somewhat correctly. I had to force the air tube onto the box and would like to see about getting an improved mounting position which allows me to reduce the stress on the air tube.

Only thing I have left to do is install the newer washer fluid reservoir. The one I have is out of the same '07 CVPI from which I pulled the air box (same junk yard that has the '90 GM). I grabbed the connector from the car since it's different than my original. I was going to solder it in but ran out of daylight. I'm just going to hold off on that and see if I can find an earlier reservoir that has a motor similar to mine.

I have so many parts I want to buy, but money is a little tight right now. I now have three cars (and my wife) vying for a slice of the pie!

Patience...
                                —John

Comment

Working...
                                X