PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

ah... that plastic bit. I wouldn't know how to remove that without damaging it or put one on if you managed to get one without damaging it. I would say heat at 150F in a oven (toaster oven) for a couple of hours (inside foil to keep it from out-gassing and contaminating your oven) and then install while hot (gloves might be a good thing), but getting one off a regulator would be the trick.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I've put them back on by using a pair of vise grips. Put it in the track under the glass, put the ball end of the regulator into it, then squeeze it together. Its a pain in the ass, but it can be done. Unfortunately if its out, it might mean the plastic got damaged somehow and it needs replacing. I believe the same parts are used on Mustangs, so there is a fair bet you can get one from LMR.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I can't figure out in my head how it came out in the first place. I couldn't get it back on the arm because the hole was tapered and just would not fit over the stud. The good news is, I called the junkyard in Dallas and they haven't yet crushed the '90 GM. They're going to look into getting me that regulator and shipping it up here.

On a happier note, I spent the past week piecing together the parts to do the later model intake tube/air box swap. It's not an exact fit, but boy is there much more room on that side of the engine now. I also did a little bit of a spray down of the engine bay with the garden hose. I still plan to power wash it, but I'm waiting on new PCV parts and the intake manifold gasket I ordered to do that. Pictures.

Clean(er) engine bay.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0051.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	46493

Found this written on the passenger side of the header panel support written in pencil. I think this car has a lot more miles on it than I thought. Haha. No matter. Everything that needs to be fixed will be fixed. No matter how long it takes.

Name:	IMG_2569.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	46494

I think the radiator was replaced at some point. The fan shroud was fastened to the radiator with 7/16" bolts and nuts rather than the u-nuts and standard bolts. I grabbed some new bolts and u-nuts online and used several during the install. Looks just like the factory intended.

Name:	DSC_0054.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	46495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0055.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	46496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0056.jpg 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	46497

All done. The air box didn't fit the available bolt locations. I'll probably look into fabbing some adapter brackets later on. Found a bunch of dead ants under the intake plaque. I really need a shop light.

Name:	DSC_0053.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	46498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2570.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	46499

I don't get much working time before the sun goes down. Hopefully I can start tackling the passenger side window motors tomorrow.
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

I do love progress! Love the new airbox! It helps that you already have the correct inner fender for it
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
    I do love progress! Love the new airbox! It helps that you already have the correct inner fender for it
    I grabbed the insulated mounting studs from the donor car, but they don't line up exactly. I'll have to fabricate some brackets if I want it to be installed somewhat correctly. I had to force the air tube onto the box and would like to see about getting an improved mounting position which allows me to reduce the stress on the air tube.

Only thing I have left to do is install the newer washer fluid reservoir. The one I have is out of the same '07 CVPI from which I pulled the air box (same junk yard that has the '90 GM). I grabbed the connector from the car since it's different than my original. I was going to solder it in but ran out of daylight. I'm just going to hold off on that and see if I can find an earlier reservoir that has a motor similar to mine.

I have so many parts I want to buy, but money is a little tight right now. I now have three cars (and my wife) vying for a slice of the pie!

Patience...
    óJohn

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Nice! You're not wasting any time on this thing.

I finally installed my '90 TC air box, fan shroud, and washer bottle recently. I've had the fan shroud laying around for more than year. Still haven't updated my RR thread with pics yet.
    I used a washer bottle from a '92 CV (MIA on all 3 of the '90 TCs I got the fan shrouds and air boxes from) so I still have the low level indicator.

The '90 TC air box lines up with my '91 inner fender but I think the diameter of the inlet and outlet is probably smaller than the air box setup you have.

That engine bay looks a lot better with all the dust gone.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    Nice! You're not wasting any time on this thing.

I finally installed my '90 TC air box, fan shroud, and washer bottle recently. I've had the fan shroud laying around for more than year. Still haven't updated my RR thread with pics yet.
    I used a washer bottle from a '92 CV (MIA on all 3 of the '90 TCs I got the fan shrouds and air boxes from) so I still have the low level indicator.

The '90 TC air box lines up with my '91 inner fender but I think the diameter of the inlet and outlet is probably smaller than the air box setup you have.

That engine bay looks a lot better with all the dust gone.
    Trying not to! It's not in the best of shape, so I'm looking at a lot of maintenance before I can consider it to be 100% reliable. Of course there will be some non-stock mods along the way!

Thanks for the tip on the washer reservoir. I'm pretty sure there are a few aero cars in the junkyards around here. It would be better if I could just make everything plug and play. Not to mention that the harness for the '07 washer fluid pump has a thicker gauge wire. I don't want to have to worry about pulling too much current on the existing circuit.

Would you mind measuring the outlet of your air box so I can compare with mine? If it's the same, I'll just get the earlier air box and see if I can make that work.

General question for everyone: does anyone know if the trunk lock cylinder is interchangeable between GMs and CVs? I found a place that has three complete NOS sets of ignition/door/glovebox/trunk lock cylinders, but it says they're for 1990-1991 CV. I'd really like to get them, but I would hate to not be able to use the trunk cylinder. I like to replace the lock cylinders on my older Fords; nothing beats a nice, tight ignition.
    óJohn

I should clarify that a bit.
    The '92 washer bottle that I got most likely has the same pump plug as the '07 you got. It's not plug and play, even the low level indicator plug is different. I don't think the newer stuff has the low fluid indicator; that was my main reason for going with the older tank. I also noticed the '92 wiring was slightly fatter gauge, but the wiring was pretty simple since the wire colors were the same between '91 and '92 (BK, BK/W, and PK/Y IIRC, with BK/W shared between pump and sensor, PK/Y to sensor, and BK to pump). Also, I'm not sure if you've done any test fitting, but I only have the rear most bolt hole bolted in on the washer bottle. Considering that the washer has always had issues since I got the car, I'm just excited that the thing works consistently now.

I should have a chance later to get some measurements, if I can find something to measure with. Things don't seem to stay where I put them...

Trunk lock cylinder, not sure.
    Vic

~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    Gone but not forgotten:

Ah, I see. It would still be nice to have the low-level indicator as you said.

I've only barely test fit the bottle in the engine compartment. It was difficult to see which bolt hole should be used, so I opted to just finish the air box install and worry about the washer reservoir later. It was already getting dark by this time. Thanks in advance for measuring the air box outlet for me.

I'm betting the trunk lock will interchange. The only difference is probably whatever cable mechanism is in place to actuate the latch since they're mounted in different locations.
    óJohn

Ive got the same air box set up on my car with a 90/91 inner fender installed and have no issues. Weirdness.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

The narrowest point in the '90 TC air box inlet and outlet is about 1 3/4 inches. I'm pretty sure the later box you have has larger inlet and outlet, it sure looks like it in the picture.

Pic of the '90 TC stuff:

Name:	20161201_144035.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	46500
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

I wonder if the top of the '07 air box will fit the bottom of the '90 TC air box.
    óJohn

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

hm, I'm running an early 90s box on an early 90s fender and it fits up OK. Couldn't tell you specifically what it is, but probably 91-92. Much later and the inner fenders got stupid looking to allow better access to the alignment points. Airbox might be 94ish.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    I wonder if the top of the '07 air box will fit the bottom of the '90 TC air box.
    Nope... the slots changed to the top part instead of the bottom, so that won't work. Thought about that for half a second when I was screwing with such shenanigans on the Mark VI when I had it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Here's what my air box installation looks like. I have it bolted to the splash shield. The front mount doesn't reach the stud on the header support. Snapped a couple of the engine bay with better light than yesterday.

Name:	DSC_0060.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	46501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0061.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	46502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0063.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	46503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0064.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	46504

Regarding the aforementioned battery hold down bracket, I figured out from another thread on this forum that I probably needed the other bracket. Found one on nospartsltd. The hold down bolt is a little too long, though. I'll look into getting a shorter one next week.

Name:	DSC_0057.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	46505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0059.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	46507
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0058.jpg  
    óJohn

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Weird, I had an '04 p71 airbox in my other '90 and I think it was the same size. Now i'll have to look. In my case though, I cut off the part of the airbox outlet where the slot for the Maf was to shorten it and accommodate my C&L MAF. Worked out perfectly although I had to trim the mustang zip tube a bit. Once I get it all back on the new car i'll take some pics.

I actually do have an intake tube and air box I snagged off of a Mark VII. Same as goes on the Mustang. I should try that and see how it fits. Not sure if the air box side of the tube would be too small for the PI air box.

I also found a Ford replacement part for the window regulator roller/slider that's missing/broken on my driver's door (these). Some sites say it fits our cars, others don't. I purchased some; it's worth a shot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D6AZ-5323240-A.jpg  
    óJohn

A little more progress today. The roller service parts came in; the driver's window/regulator is put back together. It still doesn't work; I'm thinking the motor may be shot. All you get is a *thunk* and a fraction of movement with the switch. Pictures.

Drilled out the old stud: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0065.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	46528 All put together: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0070.jpg 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	46529

The Motorcraft solenoid I ordered on 22 November finally arrived today. It cranks with the key now.

No more red wire!

Name:	DSC_0066.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	46530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0067.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	46531

I ordered an intake manifold gasket set and a new PCV grommet/connector/valve which all arrived this week. I'd like to replace the gaskets/PCV tomorrow, but I still need to go buy some thread sealer and a few odds and ends before I want to dig into it. She's coming along.
    óJohn

I post a lot...

Did you get the PCV filter?
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Yes. Forgot to mention that.
    óJohn

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast