Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    You people and your newfangled cars with all these crazy gizmos. Whats next, two camshafts? No distributors? Oh the horror.
    Lol

Although you probably could use one of those ATC hoses. The only difference I can see is the color.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

They make crystal clear dome light lenses.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        You people and your newfangled cars with all these crazy gizmos. Whats next, two camshafts? No distributors? Oh the horror.
        No camshafts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3cFfM3r510

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
        They make crystal clear dome light lenses.
        It's already been suggested on page one. Haven't gotten around to purchasing it yet. It's on the list!
        —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
        1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
        1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

If they can get the reliability right on that, its intriguing. Kinda like that more than overhead cams. Far less bulky of an engine, and no stupidly long cam drive setups. Different set of potential electrical issues, but quite frankly automotive electronics have gotten pretty reliable. Pneumatic and electrical actuators are also a mature technology, industrial applications have been using it for years.
          Last edited by gadget73; 12-06-2016, 10:48 PM.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Made an appointment to get the transmission flushed/new filter installed, new u-joints in the driveshaft/balance and an undercarriage pressure wash. I'll pressure wash the top side when I get a chance. I want this thing to be as clean as possible once I replace the necessary gaskets. The place I'm getting the work done said it would be $80 for parts on the u-joints, so I'm supplying all the parts. $10/ea on Rock Auto for the heavy duty Moog pieces. $15 for a Motorcraft filter. There is a pretty harsh vibration on the highway above 55 mph (worse when on the gas, less so when off the gas), so I'm betting it's the driveshaft. The transmission already shifts pretty smooth, but I have no way of knowing when it was last serviced. Most auto-equipped cars I've purchased had never had it done.
            —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

If they find a bobber in the transmission pan, its a virgin. The torque converter drains on these too, no need for a fancy flush machine.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I also grabbed the maglite out of the glove box and gave the coolant a good look. It's mostly green with a bit of a brown tinge to it. It's honestly not much worse looking than what's in my '95 Mustang. Gonna buy a bunch of distilled water and a new thermostat and flush it weekend after next. We'll see how it does then.
                —John

Comment

Prob not too bad then. Maybe backflush the heater core while you're at it if you get sludge out of the bottom. When it looks like someone did an upper-decker into the radiator is when you really have problems.

Comment

Haven't worked on the car in a little over a week and will be picking it back up next week. In the mean time, I've been collecting some things off eBay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1281052 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0025.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1281053 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0026.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1281054
                    —John

Comment

We do the same thing with every car we buy. Comes in handy.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Adding a bit to the collection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0076.jpg
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1281064
                        —John

Comment

Ahhh the "books of knowlege" a good thing to have mine saved my ass on more than one ocassion.

Comment

add an EVTM to the mix too if you can. It has the testing and troubleshooting process for the various electrical system bits.

Comment

I actually bought one of those first. Forgot to add it to the family photo. The car doesn't really seem to have any electrical or vacuum problems, but I'll be prepared when it does.
                              —John

Comment

The EVTM is helpful in planning future modifications. Been into that book many time for the upgrades I have done.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X